Has anyone seen that defining Hurricaine Katrina photo?

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
In most disasters there is always a photo that really stands out as defining the disaster. When I think of the bombing of the Murray Bldg, I think of the photo of the fireman holding the injuried baby in his arms as well as the photo of the bombed building. With WTC it was the fireman raising the flag they found in the ashes, and the firemen carrying the priests body.
So I am looking for canidate's for the defining photo for Hurricane Katrina.

Also talk about the photos you see and what they meant to you. (Please link to the photo if you can).
Thank you.

I've seen so many photos, all of which made me feel so sad, that I couldn't possibly pick just one picture. Here are 3 that really stood out to me:

dmu2za.jpg

dmu34k.jpg

dmu360.jpg

DTI_1717074.l.jpg

Tanisha Blevin, 5, held the hand of fellow Hurricane Katrina victim Nita LaGarde, 105, as they were evacuated Saturday from the New Orleans Convention Center, where thousands of refugees still remain.

This is one of my favorites. It depicts black and white, young and old, enduring the horrors of Katrina together, hand in hand.

So far they are all good. The lady wrapped in the flag tears your heart.

But that one that 2luvmy posted really touches me.
Besides the young and old, black and white- there is also a sense of the lines and the surrounding armed guard (which to me would be both frightening and comforting).

vert.grave.ap.jpg

The City Where the Dead Are Left Lying on the Streets
By Andrew Buncombe
The Independent UK

Tuesday 06 September 2005

In a makeshift grave on the streets of New Orleans lies the body of Vera Smith. She was an ordinary woman who, like thousands of her neighbours, died because she was poor. Abandoned to her fate as the waters rose around her, Vera's tragedy symbolises the great divide in America today.

However Vera Smith may have lived her life, one thing was certain. In death, she had no dignity. Killed in the chaotic aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, her body lay under a tarpaulin at the junction of Magazine Street and Jackson Avenue for five full days. Not her friends, her grieving husband, not her neighbours could persuade the authorities to take her corpse away.

Finally, disgusted by the way she had been abandoned - and concerned, too, about the health implications of advancing decomposition - her friends buried her in a makeshift grave. A local man fashioned a simple cross, and on top of the soil that was shovelled over her body he placed a white plastic sheet and wrote "Here Lies Vera. God Help Us."

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/090605J.shtml

The photo that stands out to me is the IR Satellite view of Katrina just as it is getting ready to make landfall. The enormous magnitude, and essentially perfect configuration, of Katrina, shown in the Satellite imagery, was very awesome, and was something that isn't likely to be seen again, possibly, even in a lifetime.

Hi Buzzm1 ! Do you have a link for that photo ? TIA .

Buzzm1 said:
The photo that stands out to me is the IR Satellite view of Katrina just as it is getting ready to make landfall. The enormous magnitude, and essentially perfect configuration, of Katrina, shown in the Satellite imagery, was very awesome, and was something that isn't likely to be seen again, possibly, even in a lifetime.

what a great topic. Seeing these pictures all together is powerful and moving.

I don't have a link right now but that was the telling story to me. This huge storm with a well defined eye.The warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico and bingo, the worst storm ever.The perfect storm with 80 foot waves and a vulnerable gulf coast. No barrier islands to releive and a compromised levee system. How could this horror not be comprehended?Anyone who can jump on and defend the "I don't know" or "weren't the levee systems in place" or "these people should have made it out" or "I am white cream puff and I don't want to think about this" are idiots of the first order. I think we have some that are about themselves and have no clue what it is to love others. And then there are some who actually do realize this and seek to make changes. So, to the people who do realize and don't glorify every government address and spin, I applaud you. I am off the stand unless someone challenges me.

This photo has moved me more than any other photo I've seen. :(

top.grief.ap.jpg

Here is a link to the story behind the photo - I needed several tissues after reading it. I'm tearing up right now just thinking about it again. The last line in the story just breaks my heart even more:

The truck turned and made its way into the French Quarter, where jazz bands are known to lead joyful funeral processions through the storied streets. But the streets were deserted Tuesday, and there was no music for Bowie, just the whirring of helicopter blades above.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/31/katrina.bowie.ap/index.html

Buzzm1 said:
The photo that stands out to me is the IR Satellite view of Katrina just as it is getting ready to make landfall.
This one?

katrina5.jpg

WISCer said:
I hope this link works. This picture tears my heart out. The despair in this mother's face and the innocence in her baby's face.
I think it's this one you are talking about
hurricane.gif

That's it! Thanks, Cass. Wonder what I did wrong? My hubby the 'puter geek around here and his down in Bay St. Louis, MS. trying to get a plant up and running after the hurricane.

You didn't do anything wrong, it's just the link is a flash slide show, so it's hard to just link to one pic :)

It's a great photo

My favorite is this one, posted by SieSie.

When I saw that on television, I thought to myself, "now there's a magazine cover shot".

It speaks volumes to me. Sadly, about a tired, thirsty, hungry, senior American citizen; shading herself from the roasting sun, in an American flag, waiting to be rescued.

It's almost surreal that it happened in America! :(

Casshew said:
This one?

katrina5.jpg
I liked the one on living color that uses a color scale to signify the amount of moisture being carried (usually around the eye, it is bright red). It really presses home how powerful a storm is.

Thanks for the photos !

The photo that really got to me is the one of the lady crying in front of her husband's body. He died of lung cancer. This gets to me cause my dad passed away from lung cancer 10 months ago, and I keep thinking , There but for the grace of God.....

These poor people, my heart bleeds for them. God bless them.

Buzzm1 said:
I liked the one on living color that uses a color scale to signify the amount of moisture being carried (usually around the eye, it is bright red). It really presses home how powerful a storm is.
250px-Katrina2005-colorIR.GIF

This one ?

I’m new and I’m not sure how to post pictures or links to pictures, but I am going to try.

I live in the effected area and for some reason I was spared much of the devastation. Downed trees, lost shingles and debris as far as one can see, but that is nothing compared to those living just a short distance south and west of me. However, the Mississippi gulf coast has been a part of my memories for as long as I have been breathing.

One of my favorite little out of the way places in this part of the country has always been Old-Town Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. That quaint little step into the past was leveled two weeks ago. I will miss it tremendously.

There was a little eatery along Beach Boulevard named the Fire Dog Saloon that served up a great burger and a great time on a Saturday afternoon. That place has a web site with pictures depicting the good times had there and the aftermath of Katrina’s wrath.

I’m going to try and post the ones that touched me the most deeply in my next post. If it doesn’t work, maybe someone will tell me how it should be done.

Thanks

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back