New Orleans' Pre-Katrina Crime Problem

BillyGoatGruff

Reaction score
I had spoken about this in detail on various threads. here's an article with actual stats and other info.

BillyGoatGruff

Links from Partisan Political Forums do not belong on this Forum. Websleuths already has a Political Forum. If you are permitted to post a link of this sort then others would have to be permittied to counterpost with links from sites holding their political viewpoints.

In very short order we would have a nothing but a partisan slam fest with half the forum being timed out or banned.

Thanks for that link. It was a real eye-opener :eek: I hope a lot of people take the time to read the entire article. There was also an interesting adjoining link about the welfare in LA that existed.

tybee204 said:
BillyGoatGruff

Links from Partisan Political Forums do not belong on this Forum. Websleuths already has a Political Forum. If you are permitted to post a link of this sort then others would have to be permittied to counterpost with links from sites holding their political viewpoints.

In very short order we would have a nothing but a partisan slam fest with half the forum being timed out or banned.
Good catch Tybee!

Hopefully this isn't off topic, but it's been well known for ages that corruption has been a big problem in the NOPD. I understand they have been working hard to lessen the problem, but it is still a problem, and PD officers were even seen looting post Katrina. Just Google New Orleans Police Corruption, and see all the information you can find. One of the main contributors to this is that PD salaries have been abysmally low, leaving the officers with a lot of temptation to supplement their salaries.

MSM articles pertaining to this issue are fine. We are just really trying to keep the partisan blogs and sites off as they are as much opinion as news and tend to just start arguements on whose political agenda is the right one lol or the left one.

tybee204 said:
MSM articles pertaining to this issue are fine. We are just really trying to keep the partisan blogs and sites off as they are as much opinion as news and tend to just start arguements on whose political agenda is the right one lol or the left one.
It would easier if the actual mainstream news agencies would hunt down the same information and report this stuff instead of acting as if this was a problem that appeared out of thin air.

BillyGoatGruff said:
It would easier if the actual mainstream news agencies would hunt down the same information and report this stuff instead of acting as if this was a problem that appeared out of thin air.

MmmmHmmm

And some 'mainstream' sources like the NYTimes have had problems with plagerists. So who/which media can we trust?

Poverty and crime were at unspeakable levels in New Orleans. This combination had much to do with the evacuation and the events that followed
in the streets, in the Superdome and Convention Center and with LE rsponse, which is what we are discussing. Perhaps some good can come from this horrible event if some of these people who have known nothing but life in the Ninth Ward, unemployment, gangs, neighborhoods filled with drugs and guns-can use this time to seek work and realize that some do care and are willing to help.

BillyGoatGruff said:

It is hard for those who haven't heard of these huge projects/ghettos, whatever you want to call them, to understand the crime problem.

Cops would not go into these ghettos at night. They just would not respond to calls. Know why? Cuz they'd get shot at. By a lot of people. It is like a war zone in there. A war zone.

Need an ambulance? Better need it during daylight, and when there weren't too many reports of shootings, etc. going on, because otherwise, you would die right there while waiting for an ambulance that would not enter the ghetto.

Children have died while sleeping in their beds, while standing on their front porches, while walking to school. Died because of a drive by shooting.

No one in there would ever, ever testify to get a bad guy off the streets. You'd be dead meat if you cooperated with the cops.

Major, major drug manufacturing and distribution problem.

Teachers wanted combat pay! Those are the worst schools in the entire nation. And among the most dangerous.

New Orleans had an incredibly high crime rate. One of the highest in the nation. And 98% of that crime was commited in the ghettos or by those residents in other areas of the city.

And that is why it needs to change. I swear if you give people a shot they will. Of course, they will be scumbags all over but most just don't want to live like that.The human spirit is a remarkable thing and given a choice most will protect their families. Most will rise above with the opportunity and some will continue in the same vein.

concernedperson said:
And that is why it needs to change. I swear if you give people a shot they will. Of course, they will be scumbags all over but most just don't want to live like that.The human spirit is a remarkable thing and given a choice most will protect their families. Most will rise above with the opportunity and some will continue in the same vein.

I totally agree. Most of those families want to do well for their children's sakes. They just haven't ever had a way to escape before. Praying everyday that this will be the beginning of blessings for them.

Please read my article on the Heroes thread. A really good white cream puff story with a lot of heart. These people put everything on the line and are being paid back with enormous gratification and love for their fellow human beings. It has made my resolve so much stronger.This family is a hero and strenghtened my resolve. I believe people and I believe given the chance most will rise to the occasion.

Here are some articles & links regarding New Orleans crime rate pre Katrina.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8999837/
http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=New+Orleans&state=LA
http://news.bostonherald.com/national/view.bg?articleid=100917&format=text

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05233/556827.stm
Homicide rate in New Orleans is 10 times national average
Sunday, August 21, 2005

By Alan Sayre, The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS -- Last year, university researchers conducted an experiment in which police fired 700 blank rounds in a New Orleans neighborhood in a single afternoon. No one called to report the gunfire.

New Orleans residents are reluctant to come forward as witnesses, fearing retaliation. And experts say that is one of several reasons homicides are on the rise in the Big Easy at a time when other cities are seeing their murder rates plummet to levels not seen in decades.

The city's murder rate is still far lower than a decade ago, when New Orleans was the country's murder capital. But in recent years, the city's homicide rate has climbed again to nearly 10 times the national average.

More at link

BillyGoatGruff said:

If you look you will find many many MSM reports on crime and corruption in New Orleans pre Katrina. Along with stats and studies.

tybee204 said:
If you look you will find many many MSM reports on crime and corruption in New Orleans pre Katrina. Along with stats and studies.

tybee204 said:
However, few, if any of them, will mention the infilitration of the NO street gangs by former TonTon Macoute from Haiti, about 20 years ago, following the ouster of Baby Doc. The crime had always been bad in NO, but after that the gang violence became particularly virulent and the wreaking of violent retribution against those who spoke out/bore wittness 100% assured in the 9th. I would compare the arrival of the TonTon Macoute in NO to the absorbtion of former KGB and Iron Guard into the Russian Mob/Organizastki in Brighton Beach.

BillyGoatGruff said:
However, few, if any of them, will mention the infilitration of the NO street gangs by former TonTon Macoute from Haiti, about 20 years ago, following the ouster of Baby Doc. The crime had always been bad in NO, but after that the gang violence became particularly virulent and the wreaking of violent retribution against those who spoke out/bore wittness 100% assured in the 9th. I would compare the arrival of the TonTon Macoute in NO to the absorbtion of former KGB and Iron Guard into the Russian Mob/Organizastki in Brighton Beach.
and now they have all the guns and ammo they looted from Walmart. New Orleans would be like a war zone if they allowed everyone back in now. I would imagine some of those people were in a hurry to return to see what else they could steal, and loot. It will be fertile ground for crime.

Buzzm1 said:
and now they have all the guns and ammo they looted from Walmart. New Orleans would be like a war zone if they allowed everyone back in now. I would imagine some of those people were in a hurry to return to see what else they could steal, and loot. It will be fertile ground for crime.
And some are here in Houston, where we are going to get hit by Rita. :chicken: I am grateful we have a farm to go to. Kosse, Texas! :laugh: <Now where the H*LL is that.....you says!?!?!?>

deandaniellws said:
And some are here in Houston, where we are going to get hit by Rita. :chicken: I am grateful we have a farm to go to. Kosse, Texas! :laugh: <Now where the H*LL is that.....you says!?!?!?>
I'll have to look that up on the map. Keep your fingers and toes crossed that Houston doesn't feel much of the brunt.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back