IE - Medieval skeleton bursts from ground after storm topples tree

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Irish Mirror:

Medieval skeleton bursts from ground after centuries-old tree ripped up by storm

---
Storms blew over a 215-year old beech tree outside Collooney, Sligo, Ireland, unearthing a human skeleton.
---
The burial was that of a young man (17-20 years old) and it is believed he suffered a violent death during the early medieval period.

Radiocarbon dating puts the man's death at 1030-1200 AD.
---
io9.com:

---
In a scene that must have been quite macabre, the upper part of the skeleton was found raised in the air within the tree’s root system, while the legs remained in the ground.
---
more, with pictures, at the links

wfgodot,

Do you recall the exact same thing happening in the US a while back? I think it may have been Washington or somewhere, in a public park in a city. I've been racking my brains to remember since I saw this story. It's given me acute deja vu.
Am "thinking on it" (explains the rubbery burning smell!) but haven't remembered yet. Will advise.

Until then, my favorite tree/skeleton story: Wiki: Who put Bella in the Witch Elm?

Plus bonus tree/famous early American's body tale: Tree Root That Ate Roger Williams

And, from Connecticut, from 2012....

Skeleton Found Beneath New Haven Tree Toppled By Hurricane Sandy Winds
(also see tlcya's link below)

Plus bonus skeleton! Sandy’s wrath unearths more skeletal remains in Connecticut

That'd be freaky but still cool to find a skeleton that old.

I wonder if any storms have ever been responsible for unearthing a body that was previously hidden and actually part of a current (or at least somewhat) crime or MP case.

Actually I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, when you think of how many people have lived and died over the years, you'd think there'd be skeletons everywhere. We had some huge trees come up a few years ago, I mean roots that went down 7-10 feet were torn up along with the sidewalks. No skeletons though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Tejas1821
Back