A Terrible Thought~NO could flood again this season IF...

Tom'sGirl

Former Member
Reaction score
This morning I heard Dr. vanHeerden talking about this on Meet the Press and it made me sick. I could be a real probably.

MR. RUSSERT: Doctor, you're an expert on this. We're still in the hurricane season. What are the chances, the likelihood that a tropical storm or, God forbid, another hurricane could hit this same area?
DR. VAN HEERDEN: You know, there is a high probability it could happen. The unfortunate thing is, because the levee system is so weakened, just a tropical storm could reflood New Orleans. So it's a very, very vulnerable situation right now. We don't need another Katrina to flood New Orleans. A tropical storm that puts maybe five feet or six feet of water in Lake Pontchartrain, which is not rare, would reflood the city.

MR. RUSSERT: Do you think the local, state and federal governments are prepared for an event like that in the coming weeks?

DR. VAN HEERDEN: I don't think so, because right now they're really battling just to try and shore up the levees. You know, there were seven major levee breaks and it's going to take quite a lot of time to repair those, to have them engineeringly sound so they won't give way again.

This is unbearable to think about! But, I hope somebody IS!

They said they would have New Orleans pumped out by Oct. 18th. They have a substantial number of pumps operating, and more will come back on-line as they are repaired. They showed a crack German disaster team showing up with 17 pumps of their own It didn't take them long to begin bringing them on-line. There shouldn't be a problem, but the decision still needs to be made to rebuild New Orleans in the same location again. There are many factors to take into consideration, and hopefully they will think long and hard about the pros and cons.

Buzzm1 said:
They said they would have New Orleans pumped out by Oct. 18th. They have a substantial number of pumps operating, and more will come back on-line as they are repaired. They showed a crack German disaster team showing up with 17 pumps of their own It didn't take them long to begin bringing them on-line. There shouldn't be a problem, but the decision still needs to be made to rebuild New Orleans in the same location again. There are many factors to take into consideration, and hopefully they will think long and hard about the pros and cons.
Your last sentence Buzz says it all!

Liz said:
This is unbearable to think about! But, I hope somebody IS!
I think that's part of the reason for the evacuation now - the city just isn't safe right now for so many reasons.

Details said:
I think that's part of the reason for the evacuation now - the city just isn't safe right now for so many reasons.
The reason now (a bit late :doh: ) is now due to the polluted water, and disease danger even on some of the drained areas.

I posed the same question on a different thread about a week ago. What if they begin rebuilding and spend billions of dollars starting to fix the levees and the rebuilding the city - and another hurricane comes through before it's even finished?? What then?? Spend more billions to start all over again?

Tom'sGirl said:
This morning I heard Dr. vanHeerden talking about this on Meet the Press and it made me sick. I could be a real probably.

MR. RUSSERT: Doctor, you're an expert on this. We're still in the hurricane season. What are the chances, the likelihood that a tropical storm or, God forbid, another hurricane could hit this same area?
DR. VAN HEERDEN: You know, there is a high probability it could happen. The unfortunate thing is, because the levee system is so weakened, just a tropical storm could reflood New Orleans. So it's a very, very vulnerable situation right now. We don't need another Katrina to flood New Orleans. A tropical storm that puts maybe five feet or six feet of water in Lake Pontchartrain, which is not rare, would reflood the city.

MR. RUSSERT: Do you think the local, state and federal governments are prepared for an event like that in the coming weeks?

DR. VAN HEERDEN: I don't think so, because right now they're really battling just to try and shore up the levees. You know, there were seven major levee breaks and it's going to take quite a lot of time to repair those, to have them engineeringly sound so they won't give way again.
The last year I lived in NO the rain fall for the year topped 100 inches. That was an unusually sodden year, but the average is between 60-80 inches, if memory serves. They have been lucky in that they haven't had much in the way of rain the area since the hurricane. BUt I can't imagine that will last much longer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back