OH - Cecilia Nesselroad-Slaby, 2, dies in hot car, Batavia, 23 Aug 2007

SewingDeb

"Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
Reaction score
Two small children left in hot cars -

Hours after that tragedy, a toddler died inside an SUV near Cincinnati. She was found in the parking lot of the middle school where her mother is an assistant principal. Police say they received several 911 calls from people who spotted the two-year-old girl in the vehicle in 100-degree heat.

~more at link~

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/national/article.aspx?storyid=61848

I feel sorry for this baby who had to die a tragic, slow, and painful death because mommy couldn't remember she gave birth and had a responsibility.
How many more times is this going to happen???

I know everyone feels sorry for this mother, but the more and more this happens, I feel nothing but anger towards the parents in these situations. By now, we all should know better and we all should think.

I dont get it either :( In all of our sleepy colic reflux filled days I hadn't forgotten about my daughter. When she isn't with me I still look in the backseat for her since its such a normal instinct for me. That poor baby, I cant imagine sitting in a sweltering car till you die. Im miserable just when I get overheated.

When my daughter was 2 and still at her age of 3 she wouldn't let me forget if I tried since when the car stops she is ready to get out so its hard for me to picture her child being so quiet that she couldnt remember unless the little girl is use to being left alone in the car. My hinky meter is blaring.

It would be an easy way to get rid of an unwanted child...not that I think that's the case here but it happens so much that I can't help but think that may be the case in some that we read about.

I feel sorry for this baby who had to die a tragic, slow, and painful death because mommy couldn't remember she gave birth and had a responsibility.
How many more times is this going to happen???

I know everyone feels sorry for this mother, but the more and more this happens, I feel nothing but anger towards the parents in these situations. By now, we all should know better and we all should think.

I don't really feel sorry for this mother.
I feel like some people just should not have children.

If you are soooo self involved that you forget your child in a hot car??
I am tired of reading about how so many parents are just over worked and stressed out.
Although that may be true IMO parents who snap and beat their children are over worked and stressed out too and NOT one of us thinks its ok for them to beat their child.

I forget things all the time... my children are not one of those things!

:banghead: :banghead: I don't understand how you forget a child YOU PUT in a car! Even when my boys weren't with me, I still checked the car out of habit. Even before I had my own I was paranoid about having my neices and nephews in the car with me.
Something my Mom would do was put the diaper bag on the front passenger seat with her purse when she had one of the babies with her as a reminder.

It would be an easy way to get rid of an unwanted child...not that I think that's the case here but it happens so much that I can't help but think that may be the case in some that we read about.

The only reason I even HAVE a job is to take care of my daughter. If I lost my daughter because I was too into my job- that would be too much for me.

I hope we will start to see a decline in these terrible types of death as the weather cools down - we usually do.

My prayers for this family.

I agree that it's hard to understand how anyone can forget they still have a baby in the car with them, however it does happen several times every year. We hear about the ones who die during the hot summer months but who knows how many others are forgotten other times of the year when a baby is found hours later but they lived because it was cooler outside. I seriously doubt any of the adults left their home that morning ever thought it could happen to them but it did. Pointing fingers won't help what's happened. I do feel very sorry for this mother, IMO she will never be able to recover from this and would give anything if only she could turn back time.

VB

I forget things all the time... my children are not one of those things!

With all the problems I have w/my memory from my accident, I don't ever forget my children, I never have forgotten one in the car or at the store, or to pick them up or drop them off.

I have notebooks/binders for everything, keeping notes, so I can look back and 'remember'.... a yellow one for this, pink one for that, funny.... I do not have one that is labled CHILDREN. Instinct maybe? Just natural to know not to forget them??...hmmmm. Major lightbulb for me personally here....strange.

The only reason I even HAVE a job is to take care of my daughter. If I lost my daughter because I was too into my job- that would be too much for me.

Same here. I cannot imagine having to deal with losing a child this way. Or having to tell the other parent!

With all the problems I have w/my memory from my accident, I don't ever forget my children, I never have forgotten one in the car or at the store, or to pick them up or drop them off.

I have notebooks/binders for everything, keeping notes, so I can look back and 'remember'.... a yellow one for this, pink one for that, funny.... I do not have one that is labled CHILDREN. Instinct maybe? Just natural to know not to forget them??...hmmmm. Major lightbulb for me personally here....strange.

Hubby says the same thing Chris!

Its just inconceivable that someone could forget their child.
The reason you don't forget is because your not a self involved selfish person and I think that the reason we are seeing this so much is that a vast majority of adults are of the MEMEMEMEME generation.

This women was so self absorbed that she PUT her child in her car and then forgot her there!

I agree...how about this story I read this morning:

"BATAVIA, Ohio -- A mother who left her 2-year-old daughter in a hot car for more than eight hours will not face criminal charges.
The Clermont County Prosecutor's Office said that Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby left her daughter Cecelia in her sport utility vehicle Aug. 23 at Glen Este Middle School.

*snip*

Union Township police released security camera video on Tuesday that showed Nesselroad-Slaby returned to the SUV five times during the day, and once moved the SUV to another location in the parking lot, WLWT-TV in Cincinnati reported."

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/14047322/detail.html

How could this "Mom" return to her car FIVE times and then move it and still not see her 2 year old.

I agree...how about this story I read this morning:

"BATAVIA, Ohio -- A mother who left her 2-year-old daughter in a hot car for more than eight hours will not face criminal charges.
The Clermont County Prosecutor's Office said that Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby left her daughter Cecelia in her sport utility vehicle Aug. 23 at Glen Este Middle School.

*snip*

Union Township police released security camera video on Tuesday that showed Nesselroad-Slaby returned to the SUV five times during the day, and once moved the SUV to another location in the parking lot, WLWT-TV in Cincinnati reported."

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/14047322/detail.html

How could this "Mom" return to her car FIVE times and then move it and still not see her 2 year old.

WHAT??????????????????????????

From the article Roxanne posted

A July analysis by The Associated Press showed around 340 heat-related deaths of children trapped inside vehicles in the past 10 years, and a wide range of prosecutions and penalties.

Charges were filed in just less than half the deaths. Of those that had been decided, 81 percent resulted in convictions or guilty pleas, and half of those brought jail sentences.

The AP identified more than 220 cases in which the caregiver admitted leaving the child behind. More than three-quarters of those people said they simply forgot.

The same day as Cecilia's death, a 7-month-old infant died in a parked car near the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, where the child's father is a research analyst, authorities said. Prosecutors there have not said if they will file charges.

This weekend, an Oregon man was charged with child neglect, accused of leaving his 2-year-old daughter in a car in 95-degree heat in the parking lot of a Nevada brothel. The toddler was treated for dehydration and released to the Nevada Division of Child and Family Services.

Christine, I would say that is because they are your number one priority.

Southcity mom--I hope we will start to see a decline in these terrible types of death as the weather cools down - we usually do.

the sad thing is we shouldnt have to wait for the weather to cool off for this to stop happening.

Why was the mother in Batavia moving her SUV all day? That is a very odd case.

I do think how people relate to these types of cases has to do with their ability to imagine forgetting a child in a car.

If you can't imagine doing such a thing yourself, you can't empathize with an overburdened parent doing such a thing. If you can imagine yourself doing such a thing, you do empathize with the overburdened parent.

I can imagine doing such a thing, so I tend towards empathy. At the same time, my kids are my number one priority and I don't think I am any more or less selfish than the average bear.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back