Have FUN with telephone solicitors!!!

Magnum PI

Former Member
Reaction score
Nobody likes those calls "May I speak to the owner of the home?"...yes, you can put your number on the "do not call list" (with varied results) or you can just view them as a break from your work and have some fun.

It's a team sport. The idea is to keep the solicitor on the phone the longest time, with the most humorus exchange: Example "May I speak to the lady or man of the house?" answer yessir(Indian accent used for this one) "Are you the man of the house?" answer yessir "And who am I speaking with?" answer yessir "Uh..would you be interested in saving some money on your mortguage?' answer yessir...I am fromm Hinndia..."Good, how much do you currently owe on your house?" answer yessir...and so forth, this was just one I liked.

I have empathy for these people, they did not list "telephone solitations" on their highschool yearbook as things they aspired to become, and they are just trying to earn a living...I feel their pain, I have to do some marketing myself..but hey, they made the call, right?

When one calls my sister's house, she gives the phone to her 3 year old!!! He loves to get phone calls and loves to talk on the phone!

I don't think thats a good idea. Some disabled people try to supplement their income doing cold calls. But then again, the calls from the local cemetery trying to sell plots does have its humorous side.

Beyond Belief said:
I don't think thats a good idea. Some disabled people try to supplement their income doing cold calls. But then again, the calls from the local cemetery trying to sell plots does have its humorous side.
I didn't mean this as a jab at anyone's career...these telephone people can also use a laugh now and then...right? Disabled or not...maybe especially disabled people, who are stuck with those boring jobs.. better than just hanging up on them.....mpi

I have no time for telemarketers, I don't care if they are disabled :slap:

I do several things to annoy them ranging from slamming the phone down to politely asking if they can wait for a moment and then sitting the reciever down while I go make tea, watch tv, load the dishwasher ... etc

My Dad (if it is a woman who calls) asks them what they are wearing :D and if they could speak more sexily.

I would love to have one of those air horns to blast in their ears - I think that would be a good invention, something that makes a horrible sound for them but you don't hear it. :dance: or even better,something that zaps them, gives them a shock through the phone (well one can have dreams, right?)

Casshew...I think your dad is on to something...this could be affordable phone sex if these people would think out of the box a bit. If they can't sell the graveyard plots, maybe "Sue" (real name Chandalaharra) from Bombay could sell a few minutes of phone sex....win win situation...mpi

Magnum PI said:
Nobody likes those calls "May I speak to the owner of the home?"...yes, you can put your number on the "do not call list" (with varied results) or you can just view them as a break from your work and have some fun.

It's a team sport. The idea is to keep the solicitor on the phone the longest time, with the most humorus exchange: Example "May I speak to the lady or man of the house?" answer yessir(Indian accent used for this one) "Are you the man of the house?" answer yessir "And who am I speaking with?" answer yessir "Uh..would you be interested in saving some money on your mortguage?' answer yessir...I am fromm Hinndia..."Good, how much do you currently owe on your house?" answer yessir...and so forth, this was just one I liked.

I have empathy for these people, they did not list "telephone solitations" on their highschool yearbook as things they aspired to become, and they are just trying to earn a living...I feel their pain, I have to do some marketing myself..but hey, they made the call, right?

hi magnum,! great idea, they should be made to pay! they are evil, they are trained not to take 'no' for an answer :eek: , they try to sell you something you don't want :furious: , (it's called stealing), they prey on disabled, older, mentally challanged, and kind people and they INVADE OUR PRIVICY!!! :eek:

i

http://www.exit109.com/~ghealton/gatherings/Telemarkerts.html

Three Little Words That Work !!
  1. The three little words are: "Hold On, Please..."

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt. Then when you eventually hear the phone company's "beep-beep-beep" tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

lex said:
hi magnum,! great idea, they should be made to pay! they are evil, they are trained not to take 'no' for an answer :eek: , they try to sell you something you don't want :furious: , (it's called stealing), they prey on disabled, older, mentally challanged, and kind people and they INVADE OUR PRIVICY!!! :eek:

i
I agree. My least favorite ones are the intimidating kind. "Hello, this is Bob, and I'm calling from the State Troopers office...." The last one of these I got, I found out that the guy calling wasn't even in the same state he was soliticing for. I also don't like the religous and political calls for money. God, cops, politicians...I'm starting to see a trend here...mpi

I almost always reply by asking them questions. When they ask me what my interest rate is...I ask them what there's is...and if they own a home, how old they are, do they like their neighbors. Then I proceed to ask them if they are married...how many kids they have, where they would rather live...what the weather is like...

Other times I will be a bit sarcastic (especially if it's been a really bad day)...acting indignant..."Who authorized you to access my credit, isn't that illegal, how did you get my confidential info..."

Sometimes I will tell them that the person they are asking for has recently passed, and I can't believe they are harrassing me during this time... (again, a day where I probably need to cry)

Then there are the days I answer, put it on mute and continue to finish dinner...

Lately my husband immitates an East Indian descent.... he's so very good at it. and he loves to tell them about his religion. Oh yes yes yes, just wait for a moment while I tell you this story. He never lets them get a word in at all and then tells them so quickly thank you so much for calling but I have to go now.... :D They drive me crazy.

killingme.gif
killingme.gif
killingme.gif
killingme.gif

Casshew said:
I have no time for telemarketers, I don't care if they are disabled :slap:

I do several things to annoy them ranging from slamming the phone down to politely asking if they can wait for a moment and then sitting the reciever down while I go make tea, watch tv, load the dishwasher ... etc

My Dad (if it is a woman who calls) asks them what they are wearing :D and if they could speak more sexily.

I would love to have one of those air horns to blast in their ears - I think that would be a good invention, something that makes a horrible sound for them but you don't hear it. :dance: or even better,something that zaps them, gives them a shock through the phone (well one can have dreams, right?)

poco said:
When one calls my sister's house, she gives the phone to her 3 year old!!! He loves to get phone calls and loves to talk on the phone!
I have to laugh every time I think of this!....great idea..I have passed it along to my nephew, who has a three year old who also LOVES to talk on the phone...He recently told his wife, "If a solicitor calls, don't just hang up on them, it's my turn."...mpi

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back