OH OH - ROBERT REMBERT, Cuyahoga Co, 1997-2015

rosie_lee

Reaction score
CLEVELAND - Robert G. Rembert Jr. was indicted in the murders of four people, the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's office announced Tuesday.

According to the prosecutor's office, three of the murders took place within the last four months.

Rembert Jr. was arrested on Sept. 21.

He is charged with killing Kimberly D. Hall in June of this year, Morgan Nietzel and Rembert's cousin Jerry Rembert in September of this year and Rena Mae Payne in May of 1997.

Rembert Jr. was indicted on 25 charges:

10 counts of aggravated murder
six counts of kidnapping
four counts of rape
two counts of aggravated robbery
one count of having weapons under disability
one count of grand theft
one count of gross abuse of a corpse
In December of 1997, Rembert was convicted of voluntary manslaughter and sentenced to six years in prison for the murder of Dadren Lewis in a Cleveland parking lot.

According to the prosecutor's office, 47-year-old Payne was Rembert's first victim. An RTA employee discovered Payne's body in an employee restroom on May 15, 1997. Rembert reportedly worked as an RTA driver at the time of the murder.

On June 10 of this year, 31-year-old Hall's body was found near an open field by two passing workers.

More at link...

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/loca...t-rembert-indicted-for-four-murders/73891538/

CLEVELAND -- The Grand Jury has indicted Robert G. Rembert Jr. for the Aggravated Murders of four individuals, three this year and one in 1997, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy J. McGinty said Tuesday.

Rembert is charged with killing Rena Mae Payne in May of 1997, Kimberley D. Hall in June of this year, and Jerry Rembert and Morgan Nietzel in September of this year.

In all, the indictment includes 25 charges: 10 counts of Aggravated Murder, six counts of kidnapping, four counts of Rape, two counts of Aggravated Robbery and one count each of Having Weapons under Disability, Grand Theft and Gross Abuse of a Corpse.

Rembert, 45, was convicted of Voluntary Manslaughter for the December 23, 1997, slaying of Dadren Lewis in a Cleveland parking lot.

He was sentenced to six years in prison.

He was arrested September 21 by sheriff's deputies in Medina County on a warrant for the murder of Ms. Hall and since has been held in Cuyahoga County Jail on a $1 million bond.

"Robert Rembert is a serial killer. So far, we know he's purposefully executed five people," said Prosecutor McGinty. "An investigation of his activities as an over-the-road truck driver is currently underway."

More at link...

Thanks for posting, Rosie. I've been keeping an eye out for an update on this guy. I read about Kimberly Hall's murder a few weeks ago, and then the murders of his cousin and the woman who lived in the same house. Horrible stuff. I didn't know about the 1997 conviction, although I remember reading about Rena Mae Payne. Glad they got him on that one, too. Now the question is, what's he been up to for the past ten years or so.

Here are a few notes and a couple of other links I had bookmarked for Kimberly Hall.

Kimberly Hall's body was found in a field on East 83rd between Gill and Higbee. The body showed obvious bruises. COD later ruled strangulation. Robert Gene Rembert, Jr of Bedford was arrested on September 21.

http://www2.10news.com/web/newsnet5...berly-hall-cleveland-woman-found-dead-in-june

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/06/dead_womans_relatives_suspect.html

Thanks for posting, Rosie. I've been keeping an eye out for an update on this guy. I read about Kimberly Hall's murder a few weeks ago, and then the murders of his cousin and the woman who lived in the same house. Horrible stuff. I didn't know about the 1997 conviction, although I remember reading about Rena Mae Payne. Glad they got him on that one, too.

Here are a few notes and a couple of other links I had bookmarked for Kimberly Hall.

Kimberly Hall's body was found in the street on East 83rd between Gill and Higbee. The body showed obvious bruises. COD later ruled strangulation. Robert Gene Rembert, Jr of Bedford was arrested on September 21.

http://www2.10news.com/web/newsnet5...berly-hall-cleveland-woman-found-dead-in-june

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/06/dead_womans_relatives_suspect.html
You are welcome. I kept checking MSM on all these cases until finally it showed up tonight. This guy definitely needs to stay right where he is at :jail:

More links on the murder of Morgan Netzel, 26, and Jerry Rembert, 52. Jerry Rembert is his cousin. Morgan was Jerry's friend and was living as a roommate in his house. Rembert killed them after he and Jerry argued over money. After he shot them, he took off in Morgan's car. Someone recognized the car, and he was picked up at a Pilot Flying J truck stop.

The killings took place the same day that police obtained a warrant for Kimberly's murder.

September 20, 2015

[...]
CLEVELAND – Two people are dead following a shooting on Cleveland’s east side Saturday evening.

Cleveland Division of Police Homicide Unit is investigating a double homicide that occurred at 937 E. 140th Street at 9:40 p.m.

[...]
"My son shouldn't have had to die like that. He didn't deserve to be shot and killed, he didn't deserve it," said mother Clare Nicole Rembert, torn apart after hearing the news, her son Jerry Rembert, 52, was shot in the head in his own home. "You are going to come in and get mad because you don't give him his money and kill him and take everything he's got.

[...]
"A ring, a necklace, a watch, he took all his money," said Clare. "He took his gun."

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/crim...ad-inside-home-clevelands-east-side/72518406/

September 21, 2015

[...]
Robert G. Rembert Jr., 45, is charged with aggravated murder in the death of Kimberly Hall. The 31-year-old woman was found strangled June 10 on East 83rd Street, according to court records.

Investigators obtained a warrant for Rembert's arrest on Friday.

Medina County Sheriff's deputies arrested Rembert about noon Monday at a Pilot Flying J on Lake Road in Seville.

Deputies were there because a motorist spotted the Saturn, Medina Sheriff's Lt. Travis Colonius said.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/09/man_found_with_car_connected_t_1.html

http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/stat...es-trucker-held-in-4-slayings-a-serial-killer

CLEVELAND -- A truck driver was indicted Tuesday on multiple counts of aggravated murder in the slayings of one person in 1997 and three people this year, and a county prosecutor called him a "serial killer."
[...]
Prosecutors say DNA evidence matched Rembert to the rape and strangulation deaths of Rena Mae Payne in May 1997 and Kimberly Hall this June. Rembert also is charged in the fatal shooting of Morgan Nietzel and his cousin Jerry Rembert at a Cleveland home on Sept. 20, the day before he was arrested.
[...]
The fifth slaying was the fatal shooting of Dadren Lewis in December 1997. Rembert pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and was sentenced in July 1998 to six years in prison.

Payne's body was discovered in an employee restroom at a Regional Transit Authority bus turnaround. Rembert was an RTA bus driver at the time and knew the entry code for the restroom, prosecutors said.

Guess I'll add him to one of the trucker threads, too. Actually, I might need to open a forum for Ohio SK's.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/10/fbi_assisting_cleveland_in_inv.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The FBI has joined the investigation into a Cleveland truck driver who prosecutors have dubbed a "serial killer."

Cleveland police and the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office asked for assistance from the FBI as the investigation into 45-year-old Robert Rembert continues, spokeswoman Vicki Anderson said.

Rembert was charged Tuesday with three slayings this year and one in 1997. Two of those killings included the rape and strangulation of women.

Rembert faces a total of 25 felony charges, including aggravated murder, aggravated robbery, rape and gross abuse of a corpse. He is scheduled to be arraigned Friday morning.

Anderson declined to say how the FBI is assisting the investigation.

The FBI suspects more than 400 killings in the last four decades have been carried out by long-haul truckers around the country, according to a 2010 report.

More at link...

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...ial-killer-robert-rembert-jr-set-at-5-million

CLEVELAND - The man indicted for the murders of four people after serving six years in prison for killing a man in 1997 was given a $5 million bond in court Friday.

The prosecutor's office announced earlier this week that Robert G. Rembert Jr. was indicted for allegedly committing three murders in the last four months.

More at link...

Pa. troopers join investigation of Ohio trucker labeled serial killer
By Megan Guza
Friday, Oct. 16, 2015, 10:48 a.m. - Updated 53 minutes ago

[...]
Investigators are looking at routes he drove in Pennsylvania and Ohio for connections to other deaths.

“Information-sharing is probably the most important part in cases like this,” Pennsylvania State Police Trooper Adam Reed said. “Just good old-fashioned police work.”

[...]
Reed said state police will follow pertinent information from officials in Cleveland.

FBI joins serial-killer probe in Cleveland
By Mark Gillispie ASSOCIATED PRESS - Saturday October 17, 2015 6:14 AM

CLEVELAND — The FBI said on Friday it has joined an investigation by police and county prosecutors to determine whether there are unsolved slayings that might be attributed to a Cleveland truck driver now linked to five killings over the past 18 years.

[...]
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Tim McGinty has called Rembert a serial killer and has said investigators will examine truck routes Rembert drove in Ohio and Pennsylvania to see whether he can be tied to any unsolved slayings. An FBI spokeswoman on Friday confirmed that agents would be assisting prosecutors and Cleveland homicide detectives in the investigation.

Cleveland truck driver accused of four killings now faces the death penalty
Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy J. McGinty will seek the death penalty against a Cleveland truck driver accused of three 2015 killings and another in 1997.

The prosecutor filed a new indictment this week that includes specifications that would allow a jury to recommend the death penalty for Robert Rembert, Jr.

Rembert entered a not-guilty plea Friday morning to all 25-charges contained in the indictment.

(...)

Robert Rembert is expected back in court May 3 for a pretrial hearing.

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2016/04/cleveland_truck_driver_accused.html

Bedford truck driver once labeled serial killer sentenced for killing three women, one man since 1997

October 16. 2018

"...Robert Rembert Jr., who pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of aggravated murder and two counts of voluntary manslaughter, was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole in 30 years.

Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Joan Synenberg handed down the sentence on Tuesday. Synenberg adopted the sentence recommended by prosecutors and defense attorneys after plea negotiations....

Rembert, who sat emotionless for the entirety of the hearing, apologized to the victim's family members and asked them to pray for him....

Rembert previously served six years in prison in connection with another death.

In 1998, he pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in the shooting death of Dadren Lewis, a 24-year-old man killed the previous year in Cleveland, according to court records.

Rembert was originally charged with murder in that case, but struck a deal with prosecutors to admit to the lesser charge...."

Bedford truck driver once labeled serial killer sentenced for killing three women, one man since 1997
------------------------------------

Families of victims of convicted serial killer speak about heartbreak and life after loss (with clip)

October 16. 2018

"CLEVELAND - Mothers, fathers, wives and grandmothers spoke of heartbreak while remembering their loved ones during Tuesday's sentencing of serial killer Robert Rembert.

Judge Joan Synenberg sentenced Rembert to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 30 years.

Rembert entered a guilty plea for the killings of Rena Mae Payne in May of 1997, Kimberly D. Hall in June of 2015, and Morgan Nietzel and Jerry Rembert in September of 2015....

Many of the family members gave tearful statements and spoke about the heart-wrenching effects the loss of life had not only on themselves, but on their grandchildren and children of the victims.

The family members of Rena Mae Payne were not present in court because they were still grieving at the loss of their daughter, according to the prosecutor....

At the end of his sentencing, Rembert addressed the court.

"There is nothing I could possibly say to change what happened or what I did. All I can say is that I am sorry and ask that you pray for me. I'm sorry," said Rembert.

All the family members who spoke to News 5 after the sentencing said they are displeased with Rembert's sentencing. They feel like justice wasn't served."

Families of victims of convicted serial killer speak about heartbreak and life after loss
---

Cleveland serial killer Robert Rembert makes statement before sentencing

Relatives of Robert Rembert's victims speak in court

2D64A9F900000578-3271576-image-m-42_1444790313073.jpg
2D64A9EC00000578-3271576-image-m-43_1444790323422.jpg
photo_193002_0003188563-01_1_0003188563-01-0_20150930.jpg

(Morgan Nietzel, 26, Kimberly Hall, 31, Jerry Rembert, 52)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back