Pop-Up Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
I continue to get an annoying pop-ad that appears either vertically or horizontally on an otherwise blank white page. The ad is unpredictable and shows up intermittently on this site. The ad is difficult to get rid of and takes several refreshes or backspacing. At times, I've had to do control/alt/delete to get ride of it.

Is anyone else getting the ad for Nellie's Free Range Eggs that causes this? I never see the ad elsewhere on the site. This has been happening for several weeks.

:gaah:

I sometimes also get an ad across the top of an otherwise blank page. What I have to do to get rid of it is log off and sign back in.

Also, I always click on the stay logged on or remember me check box, but I still have to log back in when I come back. Sometimes my password is real letters and not encrypted. It spells out my password. What can I do to resolve this?

Thanks so much for any help!

Does anyone else here get these annoying pop-up ads? I've already had four this morning :gaah: I'm spending less and less time on this site because I'm tired of having to refresh or backspace repeatedly when the ads pop up.

*** this is off topic and I apologize for asking here but I'm desperate. I will delete this as soon as I get an answer. Sorry!! Thank you!!***

Okay guys I know nothing about technology and need help. I'm on websleuths several times a week and have been on several times today. *note I use my iPhone 5 with Safari web browser*.

Well I was on like an hour ago with no problem, and I come back now and this spammy pop up keeps popping up on every websleuths page I go to and as soon as I close it, it pops back up again. Is anyone else having this issue? Is it a WS problem or is it my phone? It's not happening when I visit any other websites using the same browser, only WS. I'm really worried I have picked up malicious adware but I have no clue what it is or how to deal with that. I've cleared my history and deleted all cookies but nothing is working. help please!!! :)

The ad popping up says: p-dot-ato-dot-mx START MAKING MONEY TODAY WITH 100% BONUS.

I'm not having that problem, but it could be a few different issues. One of the ads on the service websleuths uses could be malicious. If so, that will be one the admins will have to deal with. Or you might have something unpleasant on your phone. You should probably do a virus scan of it. Deleting cookies and your history is not going to help if you have a virus. Google a decent virus scanner for your phone and OS, and read the reviews before installing it. Then run it and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, send me a message and I'll try to help you.

Also, if you installed any apps recently, they may be the culprit and you may want to uninstall them and see if that fixes the problem.

I'm not having that problem, but it could be a few different issues. One of the ads on the service websleuths uses could be malicious. If so, that will be one the admins will have to deal with. Or you might have something unpleasant on your phone. You should probably do a virus scan of it. Deleting cookies and your history is not going to help if you have a virus. Google a decent virus scanner for your phone and OS, and read the reviews before installing it. Then run it and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, send me a message and I'll try to help you.

Thank you for your help. I will have to try that in the morning. I haven't installed any new apps or visited any new websites. I've literally been on WS several times today. Didn't touch my phone for an hour or two, come back on and it's constantly popping up on every websleuths page I go to, but not one single other website is having it pop up. Would that still mean it's something on my phone? It seems so strange that it's not happening when I open anything else.

I wish I knew more about technology!!! :(

Thank you for your help. I will have to try that in the morning. I haven't installed any new apps or visited any new websites. I've literally been on WS several times today. Didn't touch my phone for an hour or two, come back on and it's constantly popping up on every websleuths page I go to, but not one single other website is having it pop up. Would that still mean it's something on my phone? It seems so strange that it's not happening when I open anything else.

I wish I knew more about technology!!! :(

Well, if you could check which processes are running you might be able to figure out which ones are good, and shut down anything non-essential, but that might not be a great idea if you don't have a clue what you are doing. Have you tried the standard turn it off for a minute then turn it back on?

*** this is off topic and I apologize for asking here but I'm desperate. I will delete this as soon as I get an answer. Sorry!! Thank you!!***

Okay guys I know nothing about technology and need help. I'm on websleuths several times a week and have been on several times today. *note I use my iPhone 5 with Safari web browser*.

Well I was on like an hour ago with no problem, and I come back now and this spammy pop up keeps popping up on every websleuths page I go to and as soon as I close it, it pops back up again. Is anyone else having this issue? Is it a WS problem or is it my phone? It's not happening when I visit any other websites using the same browser, only WS. I'm really worried I have picked up malicious adware but I have no clue what it is or how to deal with that. I've cleared my history and deleted all cookies but nothing is working. help please!!! :)

The ad popping up says: <modsnip> START MAKING MONEY TODAY WITH 100% BONUS.

I have it too. Not right now, but it keeps messing up the text.

I have it too. Not right now, but it keeps messing up the text.

You have the pop up coming up? Only on websleuths, or on your phone in general?

I'm nervous to download a virus protector until I hear if others are having this issue from their mobile browser on this website.

You have the pop up coming up? Only on websleuths, or on your phone in general?

I'm nervous to download a virus protector until I hear if others are having this issue from their mobile browser on this website.

Here is a link to the technical questions section of WS. If you don't find an answer, you can start a thread and ask your question. Or you could pm a mod like Bessie and she may be able to help. I haven't had your problem, but I've gotten help this way. :)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?53-Forum-Finesse

If you search something online like pet food or something. Then Websleuths advertising will show you something similar. But it will not be a actual pop up but it will show within one of the ads. So if the ad is similar to something that you recently searched then don't worry. Websleuths is not tracking you.

But the ad providers have those things in snyc for each user.

So if I was previously searching cameras on the Internet. Then I would probably see camera advertisements on the Websleuths site. But you wouldn't see it. You would see ads that coincide with something that you may have previously searched for on the Internet.

But I don't receive actual pop ups. But i use google chrome or Internet Explorer.

So if you have actual pop ups and not just a basic ad of a similar previous search that you did.

Then simply delete the cookies from your phone or computer. Deleting cookies will disallow those pop ups to recognize your previous searching or page visits to a possible bad site that tried to track you for a sale later on.

Jmo.

I keep getting them today too. Seems only on this website though. I've been trying to get rid of it all day. I'm on my work computer. Not sure if it will do the same on my home computer yet or not. I'll follow up later.

The ad popping up says: p-dot-ato-dot-mx START MAKING MONEY TODAY WITH 100% BONUS.
Often these types of problems are browser related. Have you tried using a different browser, like Google Chrome? That could help you narrow down the possibilities.

If anyone else is experiencing the same problem, please post your device and browser.

I haven't had the nuisance pop-ups for a while now but have a different issue with the site. When I'm not signed in, pages load quickly with no screen locks. When I sign in, pages load very slowly or screen locks. I mostly use a desk top but have same problem on DH's laptop. Any ideas about why this is happening? I'll be on a cruise ship next week and want to be able to keep up on cases I follow. I'll be able to read but not participate when I'm paying for internet minutes :(

I keep getting them today too. Seems only on this website though. I've been trying to get rid of it all day. I'm on my work computer. Not sure if it will do the same on my home computer yet or not. I'll follow up later.

I was getting numerous pop ups here.I use Google Chrome.I had to install Malware Bytes.I had never had this problem before.This is the only site that does it too.

Microsoft Edge The recommended browser for Windows 10. DH installed Edge on my desk top when we got home from vacation last weekend. It took a little getting used to, but I've had absolutely no issues on Websleuths with the new browser.

Anyone else getting this? http://ads.pubmatic.com/AdServer/js/showad.js

It appears randomly as a blank white page and disrupts whatever I'm looking at on Websleuths. Has been happening several times daily for about a week.

First, let me reiterate Websleuths does not, nor have we ever, had popup ads.

BDE as far as this big white page I haven't seen it before nor have I heard anyone complain. I'll get with Dave and see what this is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni