beach

Verified Expert
Reaction score
Sievers suspect hires Palm Beach defense lawyer Elizabeth Parker

Naples Daily News
Jessica Lipscomb
2:56 PM, Oct 20, 2015
55 mins ago

A Missouri man accused in the death of Bonita Springs doctor Teresa Sievers has hired a defense lawyer out of Palm Beach County.

Attorney Elizabeth Parker will be representing Curtis “Wayne” Wright, who faces a charge of second-degree murder. Parker filed a notice of appearance with the Lee County clerk’s office Monday.

On Tuesday, Parker filed a waiver of arraignment, meaning Wright likely won't appear in court for his scheduled arraignment on Nov. 16. Parker also filed a written plea of not guilty, which is typical in criminal cases.

Parker also filed paperwork Tuesday to begin the evidence-sharing process between the prosecution and the defense known as discovery. Parker is requesting the names and address of witnesses and any statements they may have provided to law enforcement, as well as documents relating to electronic surveillance and searches.

Document: Read the notice of intent to participate in discovery.

Reached at her office, Parker declined to comment on any of the specifics of the case against Wright.

Parker began her law career as a prosecutor in Palm Beach County in 1998. By the time she left the State Attorney’s Office in 2011, she had risen to the position of Chief Assistant State Attorney.

Parker is now a partner at Kaplan, Sconzo and Parker in Palm Beach Gardens.

Wright, 47, remains jailed in Lee County without bond. Few details have been released about the killing, and a judge has put a seal on all documents pertaining to the case.

Jessica Lipscomb (@jessicalipscomb): https://twitter.com/jessicalipscomb?s=09

If you're following the Sievers case, accused killer Curtis "Wayne" Wright has retained atty Elizabeth Parker out of Palm Beach County. @ndn

Her bio's here: https://t.co/fKL0NyYRGw She was Chief Assistant State Attorney until 2011, when she opened up criminal defense firm.

You beat me to it! However, I recall Parker also being involved as prosecutor in the Dippolito case! That is one strange coincidence here. I had to look it up to refresh my memory. Parker actually wrote a book about it as mentioned on her website. Dalia Dippolito got 20 years for trying to hire a hitman to kill her husband. An informant acted under cover as "hitman" for hire. They even staged the crime scene later and got her! That was quite the case. Dippolito' s defense was, she had been set up.. well, it didn't work.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/d...-husband-but-he-was-no-saintly-victim-6366325

-Nin

Jessica Lipscomb (@jessicalipscomb): https://twitter.com/jessicalipscomb?s=09

If you're following the Sievers case, accused killer Curtis "Wayne" Wright has retained atty Elizabeth Parker out of Palm Beach County. @ndn

Her bio's here: https://t.co/fKL0NyYRGw She was Chief Assistant State Attorney until 2011, when she opened up criminal defense firm.

Wow. I wonder what she charges.

I wonder if CWW thinks he is going to be appealing to a female attorney?

Once when I was on jury duty, a guy picked all female jury members. I think he thought he was so cute. He wasn't and it did not work

You beat me to it! However, I recall Parker also being involved as prosecutor in the Dippolito case! That is one strange coincidence here. I had to look it up to refresh my memory. Parker actually wrote a book about it as mentioned on her website. Dalia Dippolito got 20 years for trying to hire a hitman to kill her husband. An informant acted under cover as "hitman" for hire. They even staged the crime scene later and got her! That was quite the case. Dippolito' s defense was, she had been set up.. well, it didn't work.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/d...-husband-but-he-was-no-saintly-victim-6366325

-Nin
Interesting case that I am going to have to read up on. Thanks.

I believe that there has been so many cases of convictions set aside or new trials granted from convicts stating that the public defenders assigned were ineffective, that a lot of cases these days are allowing defendants to select an attorney of their choosing. When their funds are exhausted the state picks up the bill. It prevents the cost of a new trial or appeals. This is not for run of the mill minor charges, but those such as these. Also many jurisdictions do not keep the stable of public defenders of quality like they used to. The State agrees to pay an hourly rate for representation. Some attorneys agree to it as it is steady income that will pay for maybe years to come. Plus it is free advertising for the future cases.

JMO's

-Nin

I just ordered this book for my Kindle. Couldn't help myself

-Nin

July 30, 2015, 9:50 PM

Dalia Dippolito's new attorneys regularly appear on national TV shows
Dalia Dippolito is turning to two high-profile lawyers for her high-profile murder-for-hire retrial.

Source:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-dalia-dippolito-new-attorneys-20150730-story.html

Where on earth did CWW get the funds to pay for a private defense counsel? Shocking imo.

Wow. I wonder what she charges.

I wonder if CWW thinks he is going to be appealing to a female attorney?

Once when I was on jury duty, a guy picked all female jury members. I think he thought he was so cute. He wasn't and it did not work

CWW must have access to some serious cash. I realllllly want to know where he got that kind of money. Legally? How? Hinkey meter rising. I think CWW may have chosen Parker because she knows how prosecutors will present this type of case because she was one, and she prosecuted someone in a similar crime. She has good experience from the other side that CWW might think will help him. I hope the DA's case is strong as steel.

Where on earth did CWW get the funds to pay for a private defense counsel? Shocking imo.
It's early. He may run out of money and end up with a public defender. Chase Merritt and I believe Jesse Matthew, as examples, started out with private attorneys and very quickly switched to public defenders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If CWW has enough funds to pay for a high profile defense atty and MS had a page, can't pay his office rent, which one had the motivation to kill for money, if indeed that is the motive? Points straight to MS, IMO. I suppose my mind doesn't think like a murderer (I hope!) so I guess there is a likely hood of some elaborate scam going on but like some of you here, I think it all boils down to money. MS wanted/needed money and his "genius" bro obliged in helping him. I just wonder IF MS is implicated, will he use a mega-buck personal criminal defense atty? Maybe his parents will pay for it (mortgage house etc) but on the face of things it looks like he will need the counsel of the public defender. Just speculation.

Is the Attorney he has chosen DP qualified? I realize it's early but just wondering.

Is the Attorney he has chosen DP qualified? I realize it's early but just wondering.

Good question. I just looked through the firm's website... its section on criminal practice doesn't even mention murder, much less capital murder. DUI manslaughter is the closest thing.

So my guess is no.

SMS "books will be written" CWW "book proceeds and my cooperation on a book if you get me off" EP (attorney and established author) "Bestseller!" Makes me sick.

It's early. He may run out of money and end up with a public defender. Chase Merritt and I believe Jesse Matthew, as examples, started out with private attorneys and very quickly switched to public defenders.

And FCA started out with a private attorney, and very soon ran out of money yet continued to have the state pay for Baez. ;)

Is it possible he has it in the bank or investments? There are many, many people who live below their means and are able to have substantial amount socked away even on average incomes. He has a skill that's in demand and allegedly -via insiders- he well enough to be able retire early. New bride getting a job doesn't necessarily mean they're broke, but is practical in that every penny needs to go to his defense. And, if he's convicted, what happens to his disability income? Does that just terminate or does it go to her? I hadn't thought about that until just now.

Maybe the new lawyer wants to try out a different approach than what she used in DD's case and she's doing it for a reduced rate? After all, there will be at least one book written and perhaps a movie to profit from... in regard to name recognition even if it's limited.

As always, looking forward to learning more! :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back