IL - Eian Santiago, 3, Fatally Shot by 6-year-old Brother; Father Charged

Indy Anna

Reaction score
[snipped]

Dad was at work, mom at the store, and grandpa upstairs making Kool-Aid. The kids were in the kitchen, having fun playing cops and robbers.

[....]

Mr. Santiago had reportedly kept the gun on top of the refrigerator, presumably out of the children's reach, but loaded. Santiago told investigators that he felt he needed the gun for protection after testifying in a gang-related trial.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...-and-robbers-game-father-may-face-prison-time

[snipped]

A Chicago father was charged with felony child-endangerment on Sunday, the police said, after his 6-year-old son shot and killed his 3-year-old son with a gun bought illegally on the street.

[....]

The police said Monday that Mr. Santiago was a documented gang member. He told prosecutors at his bail hearing that he bought the gun from a gang member on the street for protection, The Associated Press reported. He was held with bail set at $75,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/20/us/chicago-father-charged-after-boy-6-kills-brother-3.html?_r=0

I hope the myriad of parents who have left guns out get charged. It seems like there is one toddler a week shooting someone

Awww. Here is a photo of Eian:

attachment.php

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-while-playing-cops-and-robbers-a6699461.html

[snipped]

The Chicago Tribune reports it was revealed in court Santiago had shown his six-year-old son where the .32-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver was kept a week before the shooting, telling the boy it was only to be used by adults, prosecutor Joseph DiBella said.

---------------------------------------------------

RIP Eian.

Yeah but all gun owners are responsible.

Awww. Here is a photo of Eian:

attachment.php

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-while-playing-cops-and-robbers-a6699461.html

[snipped]

The Chicago Tribune reports it was revealed in court Santiago had shown his six-year-old son where the .32-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver was kept a week before the shooting, telling the boy it was only to be used by adults, prosecutor Joseph DiBella said.

---------------------------------------------------

RIP Eian.

Almost like leaving a sword within reach and kids playing being ninjas. I'm Canadian and can not understand/comprehend the American love of the firearms. If we lived in the 1800s when you needed them to survive, that would be understandable.

It's extremely sad that lives are lost for stup1dity.
MOO

I'm American and I don't understand it . But but but 2nd amendment ... Gun rights ...guns keep us safe. Yada yada yada . I'm over it !! So sad so many little sand innocents have to die or be injured just for the right to have something that is intended to kill !! I know many will disagree with me . That's okay. I will NEVER change my views on this subject !! Much more training and education needs to be required before anyone should own a gun !

To play devils advocate a bit: Why is gun ownership now any different from the 1800s?

Sure, these days no one is out to plunder your wagon for a spare axle but is it really any less dangerous? I think the answer is obvious if you read this forum.

Gun control needs to accomplish 3 things: 1) wipe out the black market of stolen or otherwise illegal guns in the hands of virtually every criminal 2) further screen individuals on a mental health level to ensure they aren't a threat to others or themselves 3) Continuously screen high risk people and confiscate firearms if mental health issues or felonies occur.

Simply disarming legal owners means more victims. The market for illegal guns is huge, successfully thwart that and that's half the battle right there.

As for this story, he was a former gang banger who likely illegally purchased a stolen gun and irresponsibly left it loaded and within reach of kids. No mercy, lock him up.

AND this happened in a tough gun control area. So again, we need a different approach to gun control.

To play devils advocate a bit: Why is gun ownership now any different from the 1800s?

Sure, these days no one is out to plunder your wagon for a spare axle but is it really any less dangerous? I think the answer is obvious if you read this forum.

Gun control needs to accomplish 3 things: 1) wipe out the black market of stolen or otherwise illegal guns in the hands of virtually every criminal 2) further screen individuals on a mental health level to ensure they aren't a threat to others or themselves 3) Continuously screen high risk people and confiscate firearms if mental health issues or felonies occur.

Simply disarming legal owners means more victims. The market for illegal guns is huge, successfully thwart that and that's half the battle right there.

As for this story, he was a former gang banger who likely illegally purchased a stolen gun and irresponsibly left it loaded and within reach of kids. No mercy, lock him up.

AND this happened in a tough gun control area. So again, we need a different approach to gun control.

We have phones, cell phones, alarm systems, 911, grocery stores, and new, more efficient ways to protect farm animals.

We have phones, cell phones, alarm systems, 911, grocery stores, and new, more efficient ways to protect farm animals.

If those were effective means of personal defense this entire forum would be empty...people carry cell phones every day and still end up becoming a victim to violent crime.

If those were effective means of personal defense this entire forum would be empty...people carry cell phones every day and still end up becoming a victim to violent crime.

Your question was what has changed since the 1800s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This father should be charged with murder! He put that gun into that little boys hands!

MOO!!

...in terms of gun ownership...

Exactly. I named a few things that would take the place of what a gun might have been used for in the 1800s. Times have changed. You don't need a gun in order to feed your family anymore, and you don't need a gun to protect your house. We have many options available. Options that don't come with the risk of killing or being killed by your toddler.

This gun was on the fridge, in plain sight, where the kids were able to get to it. Maybe that was necessary in the 1800s but I've never found it to be necessary in the 1900s/2000s.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back