CANADA Canada - Rachel Quinney, 19, Leduc, AB, 11 June 2004

Patience

Former Member
Reaction score
Missing & MurderedUNSOLVED CASES OF INDIGENOUS WOMEN & GIRLS
http://www.cbc.ca/missingandmurdered/mmiw/profile/rachel-quinney

]THE CASE OF RACHEL QUINNEY

Rachel Quinney’s body was found in May 2004 in a wooded area east of Edmonton. She was 19 years old, her body mutilated. A man accused of her murder was acquitted in 2008. Her family told CBC Edmonton: “The pain will never go away.” They remember her amazing smile, the way she spoke her mind and how she laughed, danced and sang. They said she was a human being and not just someone working in the sex trade. The KARE unit, an RCMP entity that investigates files of murdered or missing vulnerable persons in Alberta, is handling the homicide.

http://www.canada.com/national/feat....html?id=05a2cad3-6bff-4fd6-b722-33af638a663e
At the end of that path, by a collapsed shed, is another white cross near the spot where the battered body of her little sister, 19-year-old Rachel Quinney, was found on June 11, 2004.
Family members left behind to grieve -- five sisters and two brothers -- placed those crosses there last Oct. 27, on what would have been her 20th birthday.
She was one of four slain sex-trade workers found in this area between January 2003 and a week ago, when the body of 33-year-old Ellie May Meyer was discovered a few kilometres away.
Since 1988, 12 sex-trade workers have been discovered dead and dumped in areas around Edmonton.
Project KARE, an RCMP-led task force set up in 2003, is conducting 72 investigations into the death or disappearance of people in the Prairies and Northwest Territories in high-risk lifestyles. Of those cases, 41 are unsolved homicides and 31 missing persons. All but three involve women.
Some 24 of these Project KARE investigations are in the greater Edmonton area.
RCMP spokesman Cpl. Wayne Oakes declined to say if there are any suspects or if this is the work of a serial killer.
"Which is more scary? One person, a handful, or 41? It is horrible, gruesome, scary, no matter how you portray it," he says.
Some of the victims simply vanished from the 118th Avenue stroll where they worked. All are identified as high risk -- defined through profession, lifestyle or circumstances that make them vulnerable to violent crime.
Beyond that there are no other defining similarities. They were different races, ages and appearances.
Lorna-Gail Quinney can't bring herself to look at that frightening dirt path, much less walk down it. Unanswered questions in the unsolved homicide of her sister haunt her.
"Did he torture her and kill her there? I know in my heart she was tortured. How can you torture somebody so bad and take their life?" says the soft-spoken Quinney, a 29-year-old pharmaceutical technician.
Or if Rachel Quinney was brought here after she died, her older sister wonders how can someone callously dump a body amidst the garbage -- rusty bed springs, an old fridge, discarded milk containers.

"I saw it. I heard it. I believe," said Const. Wayne Fermaniuk, who on June 26 accompanied a psychic to the spot where Quinney's body was discovered.
"If (the psychic) was a phoney, I wanted to expose him. But he's got me. I'm convinced."
Fermaniuk, a 25-year veteran of the Edmonton Police Service, was among a small group of people who ventured to the spot in Strathcona County where the body of 19-year-old Quinney was found June 11, 2004.
Also there were Rachel's mother, Delia Quinney, and one of Rachel's sisters.
They were led by psychic and spiritual medium Alan Hatfield, from Pictou Landing First Nation in Nova Scotia.
Hatfield, who says he came to Alberta at the request of the Quinney family, set up an infrared camera and audio recorder at the site where Quinney's body was found.
Along with the voices of Fermaniuk and Quinney's mother and sister, who were all present, Rachel's voice could be heard on the tape's playback, said Hatfield.
"It was clear and came in between other dialogue," he said.
http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2006/07/05/1669219-sun.html
(Thank you Cloud for the link)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member