ID - Ranchers wife: I saw them murder my husband

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Jack Yantis
JackYantis

The family of an Adams County rancher involved in an encounter with two sheriff’s deputies says the deputies killed him in a “completely unjustified” shooting.

Survivors of Jack Yantis, the 62-year-old who died a week ago in the darkness on U.S. 95 north of Council, say they will pursue claims against Adams County for Yantis’ death.

Family members have shared with the Statesman their account of what happened last Sunday night. The account is in written statements prepared with attorneys the family hired after the incident, a video statement Donna Yantis made from her Boise hospital bed, and a draft transcript the lawyers prepared of one family member’s account of what happened.

The Statesman also interviewed several family members, including Rowdy Paradis, a nephew of the couple’s who said he witnessed the shootings.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/article43673037.html#storylink=cpy

A bull gets hit by a car and a rancher, summoned by LE, gets shot? This isn't adding up to me.

Three living witnesses attesting to the shoot-happy behavior of two "men wearing badges"... adds up to me.

Three living witnesses attesting to the shoot-happy behavior of two "men wearing badges"... adds up to me.

Would like to hear from the other witnesses from the damaged SUV. I'm not saying the witnesses with lawyers are wrong, but witnesses with no connection to the victim would be more believable to me.

It certainly looks like there is a senseless out of control mob with badges shooting random citizens in the US. Jmo.

It might be more productive NOT to label those with badges as an out of control mob. I DO realize you didn't label ALL with badges that way, but maybe it sends the wrong message? Perhaps these "shooters" were out to prove a point after the Bundy standoff with the Feds representing our beloved elected officials?

I could be wrong, and this is my OPINION only

Jack Yantis died Nov. 1 in a murky exchange of gunfire with two Adams County deputies along a dark, open stretch of highway. Yantis had responded to the scene after one of his bulls was struck by a station wagon after sundown. This much is agreed upon: at some point, something went wrong and Yantis was killed during an incident in which he and the two deputies all fired their weapons, according to authorities.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/11/08/rancher-needlessly-shot-by-police-family-says/

"The bull was very agitated and was aggressive to emergency services, as well as the other cars coming up and down the highway," Adams County Sheriff Ryan Zollman said.
Yantis, the bull's owner, arrived with a rifle just as deputies decided to put down the animal.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gun-battle-with-bull-in-the-middle-leaves-rancher-dead/

From article linked in post #1 -

Donna Yantis had walked the rifle to her husband.

To me, that's the first issue to be resolved. Why did the deputies stand around while DY walked a rifle to her husband?

Then -

Jack Yantis was standing about 4 feet from the bull, aiming the rifle at the back of the bull’s head. His back was to the two deputies, who were standing in the far lane facing each other as if they were having a conversation.

So far, wondering how much DY will open the bidding at.

'Exchange' of gunfire? Between the deputies and JY? Don't think so - jmo.

Not enough information from the 1 article yet.

Based on what little I read it seems the rancher was trying to help and was going to shoot his own animal to help out.

Not sure why the deputies decided to fire too. Maybe an accidental shooting or accidental crossfire. Not sure.

They don't say if the deputy was wounded by the scuffle with the bull or by one of the shots.

Not enough information yet in the 1 article.

I am siding with the rancher so far because I don't think he was doing anything more than trying to help out so not sure why he was shot.

ETA:

I believe the wife and this account.

"“I put the (skid loader’s) lights on him and the bull, and he lined up to shoot the bull in the back of head and put him out humanely,” Paradis said.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/article43673037.html

Would like to hear from the other witnesses from the damaged SUV. I'm not saying the witnesses with lawyers are wrong, but witnesses with no connection to the victim would be more believable to me.

That would be difficult to get useful information from them. Since they would have been in an ambulance on the way to the hospital, by that point. It’s going to be the familie’s word, against the cops word, and the cops are not even talking.

That would be difficult to get useful information from them. Since they would have been in an ambulance on the way to the hospital, by that point. It’s going to be the familie’s word, against the cops word, and the cops are not even talking.

If the families account is true, what the deputies did was criminal. I have not read that the accident victims were in an ambulance when this happened. Source please. Also, I would be surprised if there were no other witnesses as the article mentioned other cars being threatened by the bull. This is a horrific story & I feel terribly for the family.

LE might be waiting to see if video of the incident shows up. Jmo.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article42229305.html

Idaho State Police detectives are asking for anyone who may have been witness to events surrounding the shooting to contact them. The incident started at about 6:45 p.m. Traffic on the highway was stopped until about 7:45 p.m., and detectives think there were a number of motorists near the scene who may have information useful to their investigation.

Witnesses did not have to see the shooting to be helpful, ISP said.

snip

The driver and passenger of the Subaru station wagon that hit the bull had to be extricated from the vehicle and were flown to a Boise hospital for treatment.

Yantis, the bull's owner, arrived with a rifle just as deputies decided to put down the animal.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gun-battle-with-bull-in-the-middle-leaves-rancher-dead/

From what I understand the police CALLED and ASKED him to assist with the wounded bull, the Rancher had NO legal obligation to assist in any way since this was an open range area, livestock has the right away on the road and if a driver hits the livestock the ranchers are not responsible.

In addition the police did NOT try to put the animal down, they fired multiple shots with a 9mm and .223 wounding the animal many times, but in fact the bull lied there in agony and slowly bled out for hours AFTER Yantis had been shot/killed and his family members handcuffed.

An Adams County Sheriff’s Office dispatcher called. One of the family’s bulls had just been hit by a car on the highway, and the Yantises needed to go take care of it.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article43654638.html#storylink=cpy

“They opened up with their pistols and their M16s ... before Jack got there,” Paradis said. “That’s an inhumane deal. ... This is a 2-ton Angus bull that’s pissed off, he’s hurt and psychotic. ... It was blazing down there and it sounded like World War III on this bull, because they got him charging at everyone again.”

<snip>

Meanwhile, the bull was still alive, slowly bleeding out on the roadway. Family members asked the deputies to put it down to end its suffering. No one did.

&#8220;The bull ended up lying there for two hours,&#8221; Paradis said, &#8220;suffocating in his own lung blood because they shot him in the gut.&#8221;

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article43654638.html#storylink=cpy

Lots of comments at the end of this article, including a link to an article about the danger of cows.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ncher-killed-in-gunfire-exchange-wi/comments/

http://io9.com/cows-are-deadlier-than-you-ever-knew-1690950434

In the United States, the CDC estimates that about twenty-two people are killed by cows each year, and of those cow attacks, seventy-five percent were known to be deliberate attacks. One third of the killings were committed by cows that had previously displayed aggressive behavior.

People know that bulls are dangerous, and it's true. When animal behaviorists analyzed 21 cases that occurred across a four-state area, they found that bulls were responsible for ten of the deaths. Cows were responsible for six deaths. What's really chilling is that, in five cases, people were killed by multiple cows in group attacks.

People know that bulls are dangerous, and it's true. When animal behaviorists analyzed 21 cases that occurred across a four-state area, they found that bulls were responsible for ten of the deaths. Cows were responsible for six deaths. What's really chilling is that, in five cases, people were killed by multiple cows in group attacks.

There are 90 million cows in the US, the average cow/bull could easily kill a human and considering what we do to them as a whole I would say 21 cattle related deaths seems pretty low IMO.

Mistakes happen, even LEO makes mistakes however watching an animal suffer and slowly die an agonizing death after being shot multiple times by the police is NOT a mistake, that is blatant animal cruelty IMO and they should be held responsible. If they did that to the bull it makes me wonder what else they are capable of.

If the families account is true, what the deputies did was criminal. I have not read that the accident victims were in an ambulance when this happened. Source please. Also, I would be surprised if there were no other witnesses as the article mentioned other cars being threatened by the bull. This is a horrific story & I feel terribly for the family.

No source, just the timeline. They were trying to extricate the people from the wrecked vehicle, when the injured bull was interfering. Obviously once that threat was neutralized, they would have removed the injured parties, and left. It&#8217;s unlikely they would have wheeled injured patients down the road on a stretcher to see what was going to happen to the bull.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back