Re-growing van Gogh's ear

This is so cool.

HOW TO GROW AN EAR
  • Artist Diemut Strebe took genetic samples from Lieuwe van Gogh, the great-great-grandson of Vincent van Gogh's brother.
  • The ear was grown from tissue engineered cartilage cells from these samples.
  • Strebe replicated the shape of the ear based on van Gogh's self portraits.
  • A computer processor stimulates nerve pulses so that the ear can hear.
  • The exhibit is called Sugababe, and debuts in New York at Ronald Feldman Fine Arts this fall.
  • Though many think that van Gogh cut his own ear off, some German historians now think it was severed in a fight with another artist.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...recreates-ear-using-genetic-samples-hear.html

DNAiieee!! You heard right -- quite a feat of enginearing (sorry). Now let's hope they don't make it listen to that Don McLean song over and over.

The terrifying ear grown using Vincent Van Gogh’s DNA: Artist recreates
famously severed appendage using genetic samples -- and it can even hear

story, pictures at Daily Mail link above
What good will it do him now? :dunno:

BTW...I once read in a Chemistry book that Van Gogh was addicted to the terpenes in paint thinner. Since his art studio didn't have windows, the fumes from the terpenes were highly concentrated which would have caused hallucinations. Van Gogh, according to historians, once had to be restrained from drinking a can of paint because his addiction was so strong.

Not sure which major artist but I love the ceiling paintings in some of the old churches where it is just amazing the murals that were done of biblical scenes. Painted on the ceiling.

My goodness. Imagine trying to paint upside down like that from a scaffold and do a great job like that. WOW

I am the worlds worst artist.
I have no knack for it and I can appreciate good artists because I suck so bad. LOL

The only thing I can paint or draw is abstract art like Picasso because all my chicken scratch comes out like some of his abstract art. LOL The difference is his is worth millions and my art is not worth the paper I drew it on. LOL

I would get richer by selling the unused paper. :)

Not sure which major artist but I love the ceiling paintings in some of the old churches where it is just amazing the murals that were done of biblical scenes. Painted on the ceiling.

My goodness. Imagine trying to paint upside down like that from a scaffold and do a great job like that. WOW

I am the worlds worst artist.
I have no knack for it and I can appreciate good artists because I suck so bad. LOL

The only thing I can paint or draw is abstract art like Picasso because all my chicken scratch comes out like some of his abstract art. LOL The difference is his is worth millions and my art is not worth the paper I drew it on. LOL

I would get richer by selling the unused paper. :)

The artist lays on his back to paint the ceilings. Art history is very interesting.

The artist lays on his back to paint the ceilings. Art history is very interesting.

That makes sense and I didn't realize how they would do it. I remember watching a PBS show about it years ago and it is fascinating.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back