NE - Woman claims Rape in House owned by Nebraska Players

Snick1946

Reaction score
What I find interesting about this is how NE media is handling the story- it is like some non event. Comments on the local news boards have been disabled and I do not recall seeing much about this on the news this evening. Maybe nothing much to it but anyway here's the story:

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/pol...cle_6f88ac22-8d47-11e5-8ce9-5b242a82dbe2.html

People outside NE may not understand- in NE these guys are gods. It doesn't seem to matter if they have a terrible record like 3-6 they still can do no wrong. This is not the first time someone has accused athletes of sexual wrongdoing but I am just finding it interesting. What a way to end a lousy season..

It seems like the coach is more concerned about the upcoming pivotal iowa game and how this rape may affect that.

Whoa.

Riley added that he emphasizes the “do-right rule” with his players when it comes to personal conduct, including drinking, and lectures them to avoid causing “distractions” for the football team.
He couldn’t deny that this was a distraction to the team. “We try to avoid these all the time,” he said. “We deal with it.”
BBM This part sounds rather telling.

In September, the coach was named in a lawsuit filed by an Oregon woman who claimed that his failure to correct a “hostile and sexually violent culture” among football players at Oregon State during the 1990s contributed to her being raped in 1999. Riley had left Oregon State by 1999
http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/pol...cle_6f88ac22-8d47-11e5-8ce9-5b242a82dbe2.html
It almost sounds like the only thing they're worried about is if the two players are going to make the next game. Sounds about average, don't worry about anything else....

Riley added that he emphasizes the “do-right rule” with his players when it comes to personal conduct, including drinking, and lectures them to avoid causing “distractions” for the football team.
He couldn’t deny that this was a distraction to the team. “We try to avoid these all the time,” he said. “We deal with it.”
BBM This part sounds rather telling.

In September, the coach was named in a lawsuit filed by an Oregon woman who claimed that his failure to correct a “hostile and sexually violent culture” among football players at Oregon State during the 1990s contributed to her being raped in 1999. Riley had left Oregon State by 1999
It almost sounds like the only thing they're worried about is if the two players are going to make the next game. Sounds about average, don't worry about anything else....

Sounds a lot like the NFL.

Okay it is now being aired here locally but in a subdued sort of way. Local news is featuring the denials of wrongdoing. I find a couple of seemingly unimportant comments in the article I lnked to to be telling. Coach Riley:

“I know the process is ongoing, and the right people are taking care of that.” and, the cops on the scene telling the players 'You guys are OK." Everybody seems to be falling all over themselves to keep a lid on this. The Corn-huskers have a bye this weekend and will play Iowa the day after Thanksgiving. This thing has plenty of time to be resolved or- to percolate and become a bit worse.

I of course live here. I really get disgusted at times at the extent to which NU football dominates this state. Millions of tax dollars are spent in what is essentially a huge circus that distracts attention away from how poorly this state does in a lot of other areas. Also a personal note. I worked for 25 years for a state agency and came into contact with a few people in the program. There is an amazing sense of entitlement on the part of the players and ex-players. Some, not all, but many- seem to expect doors to open for them before they open for anyone else. I am frankly happy to see them having a dismal season but of course, I would not wish this last event on anyone. An awful lot of Nebraskans need a reality check.

Perhaps Nebraska is erring on the side of the players because of the disastrous Duke Lacrosse Team case. The prosecutor is currently in jail.

I truly hope the accusations will be taken seriously and investigated.

But football is one of the main religions of Nebraska, Iowa......

But football is one of the main religions of Nebraska, Iowa......

While the world is disintegrating around us people are still mesmerized by a ball made of pigskin.

Give them bread and circuses.

I emailed the webmaster of the Omaha World Herald this morning. I explained that while I understand they may want to wait until some dust settles, they are not helping matters by suspending the ability of their readers to comment on this story.

A struggling Nebraska football team appeared to have turned a significant corner on Saturday, winning its second consecutive game to improve to 5-6 and setting up a showdown on Nov. 27 against undefeated Iowa.

A 20-year-old Lincoln woman alleged that she was raped Sunday at the north Lincoln home shared by Armstrong, Nebraska’s junior quarterback, and Westerkamp, a junior and one of his favorite receivers. No arrests have been made.

Gee, I'm so glad I was updated on the team's season thus far before I got any details about the actual allegations the article was supposed to be reporting upon. Priorities! SMH

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back