ME ME - Ludger Belanger, 25, Washington, 25 Nov 1975

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
Ludger Belanger hasn't been seen since 1975. Although he remains missing, his case is classified as an unsolved homicide as investigators and his family believe he is a victim of foul play.

Doe Network

Charley Project

belanger_ludger7.jpg
belanger_ludger3.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
• Missing Since: November 25, 1975 from Washington, Maine
• Classification: Endangered Missing
• Date of Birth: November 5, 1950
• Height and Weight: 5'8, 165 pounds
• Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair. Belanger's nicknames are Ludge and Ludgie.
• Clothing/Jewelry Description: A red and black checked hunting jacket, jeans or navy blue Dickie's pants, an orange hat and hunting boots.

Details of Disappearance
Belanger lived in Washington, Maine with his wife of four years and their three daughters at the time of his disappearance. At 9:00 a.m. on November 25, 1975, his wife and brother dropped him off half a mile from their home on Route 105 so he could go deer hunting. He was carrying a .30-30 rifle. He never returned and an extensive search turned up no sign of him or his rifle. Authorities determined Belanger had shot a deer and dragged it to the roadside, where he was picked up by a passing motorist. They identified two possible suspects in his disappearance; in their vehicle was a piece of buckshot with human hair and tissue attached. DNA testing wasn't available in 1975, so investigators weren't able to tie the buckshot to Belanger.

Belanger had a good home life and marriage at the time of his disappearance, and isn't believed to have left of his own accord. His wife thinks he was murdered, possibly over the deer he had shot. A suspect supposedly confessed to his killing in 1977, but the person's statement could not be verified. Belanger's family still hopes for answers in his disappearance and hope his body will be recovered. His case remains unsolved.

Hunter’s disappearance decades ago haunts family

On June 20, 2001, a probate court judge in Knox County formally declared Belanger dead “based on the due diligent search of family, the Maine Warden’s Service and the Maine State Police, over a period of 26 years.” The declaration was sought by his wife, who wanted to remarry.

This year marks the 40th anniversary of Belanger’s disappearance that late November day. Authorities believe he died that day and have classified his death as an unsolved homicide. Belanger, known as Ludge or Ludgie to family and friends, was a heavy-equipment mechanic.

In searching for Belanger at the time, police found a receipt in the area where deer drag marks were found. Authorities later told the family they tracked the owner of the receipt, identified in a police report as “Suspect A,” a man from Camden.

He and another man, “Suspect B,” of Portland, told police they were hunting in the same area of Washington that day, but said they did not see a hunter dragging a deer along the road.

That’s where the trail gets murky. Investigators say there’s a theory, some corroborating statements, but not enough evidence to charge anyone. Police say Suspect A, whom they do not name in the report, died less than a year after Belanger’s disappearance after he was injured in an explosion at his house.

Standing next to the gravestone in the rural Sand Hill Cemetery, Perkins said her first husband’s story has no closure.

“You read the book, you get to the last chapter, and it isn’t there,” she said.

She and family members went to the State House several months ago to support the plan to fund the dedicated cold case unit of the Maine State Police.

“There are so many,” she said of the unsolved cases. “If they solve one, it’s worth it.”

Family anguish continues 40 years after Washington cold case homicide

Three years later, police said a third man, Charles Christiensen Jr., told them he had been drinking with Suspect B, who said he had shot Belanger with a shotgun in the back seat of the car after a confrontation over the deer.

Suspect B said the pair had been doing drugs when they picked up Belanger, according to Christiensen’s account to police.

The police report does not indicate whether the man known as Suspect B was questioned again at that point. However, in early January 1985, during a meeting at the attorney general’s office, the report states, “It was decided that further investigation was necessary before the case could be presented to the Grand Jury.”

Christiensen was dead by this time, and detectives began re-interviewing people and executed another search warrant on the same 1965 Buick Special. It was not clear where the car was at this point and why police waited another 10 years to search the car again. This time, police seized the two rear door panels, door and window handles and a speaker cover from the rear seat, but testing at the Maine State Police Crime Lab in Augusta did not find any presence of blood.

Find a Grave

Families of Murder Victims seek changes to Maine Cold Case Unit

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/investigations/families-of-murder-victims-seek-changes-to-maine-cold-case-unit/386438498

These families say their biggest issue is that they don't know what the cold case unit is doing to solve their loved ones' cases. That includes Linda Perkins, who's husband went missing more than 40 years ago.

"It's just not knowing it's the story that doesn't have an ending, so you can't close the door. it's always there it's always on your mind," she said.

Perkins was just twenty back in 1975 when her husband, Ludger Belanger went hunting and never returned home.

Thumbnail

Demographics
Missing Age25 Years
Current Age69 Years
First NameLudger
Middle Name--
Last NameBelanger
Nickname/Alias--

SexMale
Height5' 7" (67 Inches)
Weight125 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactNovember 25, 1975
NamUs Case CreatedDecember 14, 2016
Last Known Location Map
LocationWashington, Maine 04574
CountyKnox County

Circumstances of DisappearanceOn the morning of November 25th, 1975 Belanger went deer hunting with his wife and brother off of Route 206 in Washington. The three had originally separated and then met up with each other a short while later. Belanger decided to continue to hunt while his brother and Linda returned home sometime around 9:00am that morning. When they left him, Belanger was last seen walking across a field into the woods off of Route 105 with his hunting rifle. Belanger was never seen again.
Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair Description--
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Red and black plaid jacket, green cotton pants and a blaze orange hat.

Footwear
Green rubber boots

R/O

upload_2019-11-20_14-7-16.png

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

What do you think of this case, @Coffee56
My husband & passed by that area a couple of weeks ago. It's very rural.

Going to dive in today before I form any thoughts or opinions. I know the story but don't remember the particulars and I always believe there's more to it than the info we see on the surface. I am somewhat familiar with the area but more familiar with surrounding areas which are all still very rural and still heavy hunting grounds. I'm surprised if he was/is in the area where he went missing that he has yet to be found. And forming opinions already. Off to read anything I can find.

Going to dive in today before I form any thoughts or opinions. I know the story but don't remember the particulars and I always believe there's more to it than the info we see on the surface. I am somewhat familiar with the area but more familiar with surrounding areas which are all still very rural and still heavy hunting grounds. I'm surprised if he was/is in the area where he went missing that he has yet to be found. And forming opinions already. Off to read anything I can find.

If you find any updates, please post them.

I believe that he was likely picked up by other hunters after dragging the deer to the road and there was some kind of confrontation/disagreement and he was murdered. If both shot at the deer there could have been a disagreement over who it belonged to. I am curious what brought hunters from Camden and Portland to the Washington area though. Maybe one/both were originally from the area. Could they all have known each other previously? Reading a single deer hair was found on the hood ornament leads me to believe the deer was at some point tied to the hood. Fairly common way to transport around here. I'm familiar with the Somerville area of 105 (I'm actually in the area where his gravestone is every year - I will visit next year). I'm not as familiar with the Washington part of 105 but I can't imagine its much different. It is rural and woods but not Northern Maine rural woods. I can't believe that if he and his gun were still there that they would not have been found by now. I wonder if Suspect A had the rifle in his possession at the house that he attempted to burn down and died in? I'm not sure what was in the area at the time but there are some bodies of water, gravel pits etc in that area now. Likely lots of places to dispose of a body.

Not sure if I'm recalling correctly, but don't you have to specify what county you want an any deer permit for, and they allot so many per county? Or was that for a moose permit? If so, that might explain the Camden hunter, if he got an any deer permit. Camden is not too far away. And if they were friends, that could explain how both ended up there.
I'm thinking he may have been shot by accident by hunters and then buried him somewhere to cover up their mistake and hide the evidence. It's unrelated, but I'd heard a story from a long time ago where a father and son were shot during hunting season, one by accident, one to get rid of the witness.

Not sure if I'm recalling correctly, but don't you have to specify what county you want an any deer permit for, and they allot so many per county? Or was that for a moose permit? If so, that might explain the Camden hunter, if he got an any deer permit. Camden is not too far away. And if they were friends, that could explain how both ended up there.
I'm thinking he may have been shot by accident by hunters and then buried him somewhere to cover up their mistake and hide the evidence. It's unrelated, but I'd heard a story from a long time ago where a father and son were shot during hunting season, one by accident, one to get rid of the witness.

I believe for doe permits hunters must select zones. I believe there is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice but I have no idea what is done when they just have the standard hunting license. I also have no idea what the situation with buck/doe and zones was in the mid 70's. I will have to ask. I have long lines of hunters in my family.
The accidental shooting is also very possible. Opening day, Thanksgiving, and closing day are always big hunting days and the woods are packed. I could see it happening very easily. I read somewhere that Ludger wanted to get his deer before the close of the season. Nov 25th could have been close to the end, maybe even the last day. This is assuming that the season ran in '75 as it does now. This would make the accidental thing even more likely. Possible last day and eager to get that deer.

I believe for doe permits hunters must select zones. I believe there is a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice but I have no idea what is done when they just have the standard hunting license. I also have no idea what the situation with buck/doe and zones was in the mid 70's. I will have to ask. I have long lines of hunters in my family.
The accidental shooting is also very possible. Opening day, Thanksgiving, and closing day are always big hunting days and the woods are packed. I could see it happening very easily. I read somewhere that Ludger wanted to get his deer before the close of the season. Nov 25th could have been close to the end, maybe even the last day. This is assuming that the season ran in '75 as it does now. This would make the accidental thing even more likely. Possible last day and eager to get that deer.
'
Yes, now I remember, it was by zones. Thank you.
I think the season has changed very little since the 70s. My stepdad, uncle & grandfather used to be late for Thanksgiving dinner because they were hunting back then, this would have been 1975ish. It was one of the few days they could all go together.
They never got a deer. Ever.

MVHS Graduate’s 1975 Disappearance Remains Unsolved

ludger-belanger-2-2.jpg
ludger-belanger-1-2-color.jpg

On the morning of Nov. 25, 1975, Ludger “Ludgie” Belanger went hunting in the woods near his home in Washington, not far from the Somerville and Lincoln County line. He had set out in the snow-covered woods off Route 105 to bag a late-season deer. Expected home by noon, he never returned and was ultimately never located. Nearly forty-five years later, his family, and those who vividly remember the events of that long-ago morning, are still waiting for closure.
---
Born in 1950, Belanger grew up in Mechanic Falls. Toward the end of high school, he moved with his family to the small Knox County town of Washington. Graduating from Medomak Valley High School in 1970, he eventually married his childhood sweetheart, Linda, in 1971, and found work as a heavy equipment mechanic. By the fall of 1975, he had become the father of three young girls.
---
In her interview with “Locating the Lost,” Perkins said that on the morning of Nov. 25, 1975, her husband had been hunting deer not far from their home, in the woods off Route 105 in Washington. She and Belanger’s brother had dropped Belanger off after they concluded their deer hunting. As they last saw him, he walked across a field carrying a hunting rifle while dressed in a red-and-black jacket.
---
According to the book, John Marsh and Richard “Dick” Hennessy were the first game wardens to arrive on the scene.

While they searched the area for Belanger, a helpful neighbor led them to a wooded ridge near a stream, an ideal spot for hunting deer. The game wardens soon discovered bootprints. Following a trail of frozen tracks, they then found evidence that a massive buck had been shot and dressed by Belanger.

The deer had been dragged in a southerly direction, toward Creamer Lot Road. After reaching the road, the wardens found evidence suggesting that Belanger had been picked up by a passing vehicle. From there, law enforcement officials determined that while Belanger had gone willingly, they were no longer looking at a simple lost hunter case. A crumpled receipt at the scene led to a vehicle, which in turn led to two suspects. However, no arrests were made.

MVHS Graduate’s 1975 Disappearance Remains Unsolved

New Charley Project profile link - Ludger R. Belanger – The Charley Project

Ludger R. Belanger

ludger_r._belanger_1.jpg
ludger_r._belanger_2.jpg
ludger_r._belanger_3.jpg

ludger_r._belanger_5.jpg
ludger_r._belanger_7.jpg

Belanger, circa 1975

• Missing Since 11/25/1975
  • Missing From Washington, Maine
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 11/05/1950 (69)
  • Age 25 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7 - 5'8, 125 - 165 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A red and black checked or plaid hunting jacket, a blaze-orange hat, green rubber hunting boots, and either jeans, green cotton pants, or navy blue Dickie's pants.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Belanger's nicknames are Ludge and Ludgie.
Details of Disappearance

Belanger lived in Washington, Maine with his wife of four years and their three daughters at the time of his disappearance. He worked as a heavy equipment mechanic and his wife had a job as a waitress. At 9:00 a.m. on November 25, 1975, his wife and brother dropped him off half a mile from their home on Route 105 so he could go deer hunting. He was carrying a .30-30 rifle. He said he'd be back by noon, but he never returned and an extensive search turned up no sign of him or his rifle. Authorities determined Belanger had shot a deer and dragged it to the roadside, where he was picked up by a passing motorist.

Belanger had a good home life and marriage at the time of his disappearance, and isn't believed to have left of his own accord. His wife thinks he was murdered, possibly over the deer he had shot. Authorities have two suspects in Belanger's disappearance. One of them died in an accident less than a year after Belanger went missing; the other is still alive and lives in Maine. The second suspect supposedly confessed the murder to a friend in 1977.

He said he and the first suspect were under the influence of drugs when they picked up Belanger, and ultimately shot him to death in the backseat of the car. The suspect's friend reported their conversation to the police. Authorities had examined the car shortly after Belanger's disappearance and noted the interior had been washed and the rear seat was missing. There was a single deer hair stuck to the hood ornament.

Both of Belanger's parents are dead, and his wife has remarried. All eight of his siblings are alive. His family still hopes for answers in his disappearance and hope his body will be recovered. His case remains unsolved.

@Al Ka
Not sure of the source used, but we don't have a Somerville County. We have a Somerset county, but it doesn't abut Lincoln County. Lincoln county is adjacent to
Sagadahoc, Waldo, Kennebec, and Knox Counties.
However, there is a town of Somerville nearby, so I'm wondering if there is some confusion there. The way it's worded, it makes it sound like Somerville is a county -

not far from the Somerville and Lincoln County line

There are just so many things about this disappearance that don't add up.

How did Ludger plan to get back home by noon? Walk home? Or were there plans form him to be picked up? I wonder about this, because, on the off chance he shot a deer, that's a long way to walk hauling a deer, even dressed. He could have left it in the woods with his name on it & retrieved it later, but there's no mention of what was to be done for that contingency. It just seems odd to me there's no mention of plans they may have made if he shot a deer, like "Oh, if he didn't get a deer, he was just going to walk home. And if he shot the deer, the plan was XYZ". There's no mention of plans, only they dropped him off and he was to be home by noon. There's a big gaping hole, IMHO.

Also, how do they know they were his footprints by the stream? Even with the same boot and shoe size, it's possible they could have belonged to someone else. It could have been another hunter's footprints and dressed deer leavings. And though they have 2 suspects, the fact that they found deer hair on the vehicle could could possibly mean little more than they poachers and had nothing to do with the disappearance.

Lots of experienced hunters go missing in areas they are familiar with. Check out Missing 411: The Hunted. David Paulides delves into cases such as this.

@Al Ka
Not sure of the source used, but we don't have a Somerville County. We have a Somerset county, but it doesn't abut Lincoln County. Lincoln county is adjacent to
Sagadahoc, Waldo, Kennebec, and Knox Counties.
However, there is a town of Somerville nearby, so I'm wondering if there is some confusion there. The way it's worded, it makes it sound like Somerville is a county -

I am not sure about Counties in Maine, but is it possible that counties in 1975 were slightly different or differently named than today? Otherwise yes, it might have been mistake by journalist as they do sound similar.

By the way check that FB page made for him by family mentioned few posts back. It is still pretty much active and it might answer many questions. Of course please do keep us updated over here.

I am not sure about Counties in Maine, but is it possible that counties in 1975 were slightly different or differently named than today? Otherwise yes, it might have been mistake by journalist as they do sound similar.

By the way check that FB page made for him by family mentioned few posts back. It is still pretty much active and it might answer many questions. Of course please do keep us updated over here.

I will check it out.
Just for laughs, this is how we learned out counties when we were kids, long before 1975.

THE MAINE COUNTY SONG

There are 16 counties in our state:
Cumberland and Franklin,
Piscataquis and Kennebec,
Oxford, Androscoggin,
Waldo, Washington and York,
Lincoln, Knox and Hancock,
Sagadahoc and Somerset,
Aroostook and Penobscot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online