No more downward dog

Imo - a-hole-ism at it's best. Someone owns yoga? A license to practice it is coming? By who?
The french don't have an appropriate word for it so yoga classes should not exist? Fwiw, French-Canadians and their language police can kma on their language issues and quit ramming their perceived slights down my throat.

Don't people have a life anymore? Jesus Murphy already.

Me-thinks that there is more to this story. I smell some sour grapes.

But if cultural appropriation is the issue why are some classes still being offered?

And:

He said they're doing consultations on the idea of bringing a free yoga class back and could get a more accessible version of it as soon as the next semester starts in January.

A "more accessible version." Is that the difference?

Jen Scharf said she's been teaching a free yoga class for the university's Centre for Students with Disabilities, which is run by the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa, for the last seven years.

I think there's more to this story.

Because imo, those inserting themselves into what people can and cannot do don't have enough of a life. A University campus is not where such folks belong imo - surely LE is hiring somewhere.

Because imo, those inserting themselves into what people can and cannot do don't have enough of a life. A University campus is not where such folks belong imo - surely LE is hiring somewhere.

I think the issue is somehow directly related to the Centre for Students with Disabilities, or maybe with Scharf. So far the only quotes I've seen mentioning cultural appropriation came from her. (I haven't read every article though.)

U of O student federation opens door to reprise of yoga class

The acting president of the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO) has opened the door to reinstating a new and improved yoga class next year.

Romeo Ahimakin said the program has not been cancelled, but is suspended while a review takes place to meet the “diverse and ever-changing needs of the student body.”

In an email exchange Monday, Ahimakin would not comment on the controversy that has engulfed the student federation in the three days since yoga instructor Jennifer Scharf revealed that her U of O class had been cancelled because of concerns that it was not sufficiently sensitive to yoga’s cultural roots.

A video on the Centre for Students with Disabilities’ website continues to highlight the yoga service.

We also acknowledge that ableism is not a siloed issue, but one that affects a variety of communities and individuals.

Scharf had taught the class for 7 years for the University's Centre For Students With Disabilities - then in September 2015 -

When she checked back in with the centre in September, she said she was told by them the class wouldn't be happening because some students and volunteers were uncomfortable with the "cultural issues" involved.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/university-ottawa-yoga-cultural-sensitivity-1.3330441

Not seeing Scharf came up with the cultural issues - especially the boo-hoo French Canadians that can't come up with a name that suits them - therefore they want to put a stop to it. Just because 'someone' told her students and volunteers were uncomfortable with 'cultural issues' doesn't make it so - don't see that came from her.

All Scharf wanted to do was teach yoga. Jmo.

Scharf had taught the class for 7 years for the University's Centre For Students With Disabilities - then in September 2015 -

When she checked back in with the centre in September, she said she was told by them the class wouldn't be happening because some students and volunteers were uncomfortable with the "cultural issues" involved.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/university-ottawa-yoga-cultural-sensitivity-1.3330441

Not seeing Scharf came up with the cultural issues - especially the boo-hoo French Canadians that can't come up with a name that suits them - therefore they want to put a stop to it. Just because 'someone' told her students and volunteers were uncomfortable with 'cultural issues' doesn't make it so - don't see that came from her.

All Scharf wanted to do was teach yoga. Jmo.

Right, but who said that to her? She doesn't give any names and no one from the Centre states it was cancelled due to cultural appropriation.

To me this sounds more like the classes were somehow exclusive of some students. If the issue truly were CA, why haven't ALL yoga classes been suspended and cancelled?

In a French-language interview with Radio-Canada, student federation president Roméo Ahimakin said there were no direct complaints about the class, more general questions about the issues and ideas around it.

Ahimakin said they suspended the class as part of a review of all their programs to make them more interesting, accessible, inclusive and responsive to the needs of students.

(Jen Scharf said) "That went back and forth… The higher-ups at the student federation got involved, finally we got an email routed through the student federation basically saying they couldn't get a French name and nobody wants to do it, so we're going to cancel it for now."

Show me this alleged email.

IMO she knows mentioning cultural appropriation and French language laws* will upset a lot of people and get them on her side, but the issue is something else entirely.

*Do these apply in Ontario? I thought it was just Quebec.

So the student federation president conducts a french-language radio interview regarding a yoga issue at the University of Ottawa. Why did he need to do that? Why would Radio-Canada accommodate him over yoga?

Does the student federation president say who was excluded? I see the highlight that the student federation are advising they couldn't get a French name and nobody wants to do it - so the student federation cancelled it.

Good for Romeo and the french accent that goes with his name. Glad this is the big issue at the University of Ottawa - no hidden sexual assaults like the University of BC?

So the student federation president conducts a french-language radio interview regarding a yoga issue at the University of Ottawa. Why did he need to do that? Why would Radio-Canada accommodate him over yoga?

Does the student federation president say who was excluded? I see the highlight that the student federation are advising they couldn't get a French name and nobody wants to do it - so the student federation cancelled it.

Good for Romeo and the french accent that goes with his name. Glad this is the big issue at the University of Ottawa - no hidden sexual assaults like the University of BC?

There are other interviews with the student federation president. Of course he's going to be interviewed by media organizations in both languages. IMO. Who said not being able to say "mindful stretching" in French was the problem? I only see quotes from Scharf.

I'm not trying to argue, honestly, but have you seen a single statement from the school or the SFUO saying the classes were cancelled due to the CA accusation? And if that is true, why have they not cancelled ALL yoga classes?

You're right - campus rape is something we SHOULD be talking about.

FWIW it bothers me the classes were cancelled at all, but I think Scharf isn't telling us the whole truth.

The cultural and political climate on many campuses has grown so absurd that it's almost funny. Comedians rarely perform at campuses any longer because skin has grown very thin with the whole 'safe space' idea.

The cultural and political climate on many campuses has grown so absurd that it's almost funny. Comedians rarely perform at campuses any longer because skin has grown very thin with the whole 'safe space' idea.

And yet fraternities are allowed to exist. I don't understand.

I'm not arguing with you bluesneakers - can't believe the president of a university student federation doesn't have better things to do than cancel yoga classes due to 'french language' issues then brags about it on a radio station. Would like to see this fool spend time on - I don't know - climate change, safety of students - yoga? FC language issues irk me to no end - they're hardly inclusive.
Jmo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back