MO MO - Liehnia 'Lena' Chapin, 20, Dent County, Jan 2006

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

Liehnia May Chapin

Endangered Missing from Dent County, Missouri since January-April 2006

Age: 20 -- Height: 5'8"-5'10" -- Weight: 130 lbs -- Hair Color: Blonde -- Eye Color: Blue

Liehnia has a tattoo of a mushroom and the phrase "Love Daddy" on her lower back.

Liehnia was last seen sometime between January and April 2006. She was living in Dent County, Missouri at the time. She was not reported missing until November 2008, almost 3 years after she was last seen. She has never been heard from again.

Missouri State Highway Patrol

NamUs

Charley Project

NamUs

Here's a great and in-depth article on the case. Also talks about the disappearance of Gary McCullough.

After 10 years missing, is Lena Chapin still alive?

http://www.thesalemnewsonline.com/news/local_news/article_0a03aaf2-d453-11e5-8f33-331b77b7d700.html

Valentine’s Day marked one decade since Lena Chapin vanished.

However, an official missing person’s report wasn’t made for Chapin until almost three years after she disappeared, and that wasn’t made until the sheriff of Barry County intervened in the case. Why a sheriff almost 200 miles away from Dent County is interested in Chapin’s disappearance is because in 1999 her stepfather, Gary McCullough, also disappeared from his Barry County ranch outside of Cassville.

In both cases, Sandy Klemp (Lena’s mother and Gary’s wife) did not cooperate with investigating authorities. She did not report Gary missing until two days after he disappeared, and only then because two Barry County deputies showed up on her ranch pertaining to a cattle call. She has never reported her daughter, Lena, missing. To this day, Sandy refuses to talk in detail to law enforcement about the disappearances of either her former husband or daughter.

Part 2 of the story:

Cover-up, confession and what remains of Lena Chapin

http://www.thesalemnewsonline.com/news/article_5c50244a-da37-11e5-9200-33fc9d2ba192.html

On June 26, 2006, April Chandler and Joy McCullough, Gary’s daughters from a previous marriage, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in Barry County civil court against both Sandy and Kris Klemp, who were living in Dent County. The suit alleged the duo knowingly took the life of their father. The McCullough daughters’ litigation was predicated in part on Chapin’s taped confession to Albert. Lena was initially listed in the suit as a co-conspirator in the crime.

“We were very interested in contacting Lena because she had confessed to taking an active role in the cover-up of Gary’s murder,” the plaintiff’s lawyer, Richard Lee Anderson, told The Salem News. “The statements of a co-conspirator can be used against other conspirators in that crime. We hoped if we could confront Lena with her own words under oath, we could finally get what happened to Gary on the record.”

On July 7, 2006, Dent County sheriff’s deputies served Sandy and Kris with court papers for the civil suit, but when the deputies asked of Chapin’s whereabouts, Sandy said Lena, 20, moved to Florida with a boyfriend earlier that year.

One of the only leads in the case of Lena’s disappearance came when Detective Letchworth interviewed her former boyfriend, Jason Bryant, in 2012. Letchworth says Bryant and Chapin were living together in an apartment outside Steelville immediately before her disappearance. They planned to be married. The last time Bryant says he saw Lena was Feb. 14, 2006, Valentine’s Day.

That morning Bryant told Letchworth he woke up early, gave Lena a kiss on the cheek and left saying he’d be back that evening. When Bryant returned from work later that day, he instead found Sandy and two other people clearing all of Chapin’s belongings from their apartment. Sandy then told Bryant that Lena ran off with another man to Florida, and then left with all of her daughter’s belongings. Bryant says he never saw Lena again.

Dent County officials say they’re also not giving up on solving the mystery of what happened to Lena.

“This case has been on my radar since 2014,” says Dent County Prosecuting Attorney Andrew Curley. “To date, law enforcement has not developed probable cause to believe her death was the result of a homicide in Dent County. We will continue to investigate this matter and urge people with any information to come forward. We want to resolve this case and find out the truth. No family deserves to suffer in this manner. We need your help.”

House of Cards: Where is Lena Chapin?

http://www.monett-times.com/story/2329325.html?utm_content=buffer7e3a3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It was in June of 2006 that April Chandler and Joy McCullough, Gary McCullough's children from a previous marriage, filed a civil lawsuit against Sandy and Kris Klemp and Lena Chapin, alleging Sandy and Kris "knowingly took the life of their father," and named Lena as a co-conspirator.

When Dent County Sheriff's deputies served Sandy and Kris with court papers on July 7, 2006, they asked where Lena could be located. Sandy said Lena had moved to Florida with a boyfriend earlier that year.

"Sandy said [Lena] ran off to Florida and joined a carnival," Martin said.

Again, the disappearance had never been reported by Lena's mother, who had custody of Coulter by that time. It was Robert Chapin, Lena's biological father, who finally contacted Epperly to report Lena's disappearance.

As for Lena Chapin, who 10 years ago was a young mother on the brink of adulthood hoping to start a new life with her son, justice will be a long time coming.

"The new sheriff in Dent County has opened a case and he is investigating as much as he can after the fact," Epperly said. "It doesn't help that Sandy and Kris and consistently refused to speak to the investigator about Lena's disappearance."

Now divorced from Klemp and living in Mt. Vernon, local law enforcement officials now believe Sandy has married yet again, to Joe Wink, and continues to raise Lena's child as her own.

"We're thinking she's back in the area flaunting it," Martin said. "She thinks she got away with it.

"She's all about acquiring things. I can tell you, I have looked evil eye-to-eye many times. I've dealt with serial killers and rapists, but she is as cool as a cucumber. She has a lot of faces, and you don't see her true face until you make her angry."

Cold case spotlighted by Crime Stoppers

Members of the Barry-Lawrence Chapter of Crime Stoppers are currently profiling cases that remain unsolved and seeking information on the whereabouts of local felons.

3118665-M.jpg

Chapin and her son
This month, the Barry-Lawrence County Crime Stoppers Facebook page features six cases, one of which is seeking information concerning the disappearance of Liehnia (Lena) M. Chapin, of Steelville, in 2006.

Chapin was last seen at her apartment in Steelville, on Feb. 14, 2006.

She was not reported missing until Nov. 17, 2008.

Chapin was communicating with Barry County Detectives about the disappearance, and suspected May 1999 murder of her step father, Gary McCullough, in Cassville, when she disappeared, and foul play is suspected.

Anyone with information regarding the disappearance or murder are urged to contact Barry-Lawrence County Crime Stoppers at 354-TIPS (8477) or 1-888-635-TIPS (8477).

Published Jun 29, 2020

7a22b010-ba38-11ea-8879-47ee3199f748_800_420.jpeg

A 20-year-old woman disappeared under mysterious circumstances in February 2006, three years after confessing that she had helped cover up the remains of her stepfather after he was killed by her mother.

The cold case of Liehnia May Chapin, aka Lena Chapin will be reviewed in one of the episodes titled 'Missing Witness' as part of Netflix's crime documentary 'Unsolved Mysteries' which premieres on July 1.

Missouri's Lena Chapin who helped killer mom burn stepfather's body vanished 3 years later, never to be found

Last edited:
Liehnia May Chapin

liehnia_may_chapin_1.jpg
liehnia_may_chapin_2.jpg
chapin_liehnia4.jpg
chapin_liehnia3.jpg
chapin_liehnia5.jpg

Chapin, circa 2006

• Missing Since 02/14/2006
  • Missing From Dent County, Missouri
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/29/1985 (34)
  • Age 20 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8 - 5'10, 130 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Chapin has a tattoo of mushrooms and the phrase "Love Daddy" on her lower back. She usually spelled her name "Lena."
Details of Disappearance
Chapin was last seen at her apartment outside of Steelville in Dent County, Missouri on February 14, 2006. Her fiance stated they said goodbye when he left that morning, and when he returned in the evening, Chapin was gone and her mother was cleaning out her apartment.

Chapin's mother, Sandra Klemp, stated Chapin had gone to Florida with another man in a black 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier. She has never been heard from again. She wasn't reported missing until November 2008, and the Dent County Sheriff's Office didn't actually begin investigating her case until 2012, six years after she was last seen. Her mother has never cooperated with the investigation into her daughter's disappearance.

Chapin's fiance moved out of the apartment about a month after her disappearance. When cleaning out the unit, the apartment building's owner noted that a window was broken and there was a large dark-colored stain on the carpet that couldn't be shampooed out. The apartment owner didn't suspect foul play at the time and threw the carpet away. The unit was later destroyed in an accidental fire.

Chapin's stepfather, Gary McCullough, disappeared in 1999, when she was thirteen years old. In 2003, Chapin went to Gary's brother Albert and told him her Sandra had shot Gary three times in the head and then made her help clean up the crime scene.

Chapin said she and Sandra cleaned up the blood, pulled up the carpets and bleached the floor, and they wrapped Gary's body in plastic and burned it in a brush fire until only bone fragments remained. She had told a similar story to one of her sisters. She said she did it because she didn't want her mother to go to prison and leave her five sisters without a caregiver.

Albert recorded Chapin's statement without her knowledge and took the tape to the authorities. When the sheriff's office contacted Chapin, however, Sandra hired a lawyer for her, and she exercised her right to remain silent and refused to speak to the police. She did not recant her statement, however.

Sandra claimed her marriage to Gary was a happy one, but Gary's friends stated the relationship was very troubled and he planned to leave her and was moving his belongings into a friend's residence. She was having an affair with Kristopher Klemp at the time of Gary's disappearance, something Kristopher admitted to the police. Gary was allegedly aware of the affair.

Within a few days of Gary's disappearance, Kristopher had moved in with Sandra. In June 1999, authorities charged Klemp with conspiracy to commit murder; he allegedly tried to hire someone to kill Gary. The charge was dropped for lack of evidence in August 1999, however.

Kristopher and Sandra married each other in May 2000, one month after she obtained a divorce from Gary. Kristopher was Sandra's fourth husband. Gary's brother Albert had been her second, and Gary was her third.

Chapin disappeared approximately three years after she made her statement. She left a young son in Sandra's care. Sandra had wanted legal guardianship over Chapin's son, but Chapin refused to consent saying it would happen "over my dead body." She wanted to take the child with her and move to Arkansas. Sandra has since adopted the boy.

Gary was declared legally dead in 2005. In 2012, his two daughters filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Chapin, Sandra and Kristopher, as well as Kristopher's former wife, Jennifer Lee Brattin-Klemp. The lawsuit alleged Sandra and Kristopher conspired to kill Gary. Jennifer allegedly picked Kristopher up outside the McCullough property in the early morning hours around the time Gary disappeared, and Kristopher had a gun with him at the time.

Although a summons was issued for Chapin to testify in the civil trial, it was never delivered. The tape-recorded statement she made was not played before the jury, although Chapin's sister testified that Chapin had made a similar statement to her. Two of Sandra's children stated they had seen Gary's truck still parked at home on the evening of his disappearance, after Sandra said he had already left.

In the summer of 2013, the civil jury unanimously awarded $7 million in damages to Gary's daughters in connection with his wrongful death. Kristopher and Sandra divorced in 2014 and Sandra has since married her fifth husband and lives in Mount Vernon, Missouri.

Chapin attended Salem High School, but did not graduate. She got involved with drugs while she was still young and got into minor trouble with the law, but she was close to her family and her sisters said she tried to be a good mother to her son and would not have willingly abandoned him.

There has been no activity on Chapin's Social Security number since her disappearance, and she left all her belongings behind. It's unclear whether Gary and Chapin's disappearances are connected, but foul play is suspected in both cases.

Link - Liehnia May Chapin – The Charley Project
Link - Gary G. McCullough – The Charley Project

From 2016

75418876_2720176554927877_1747510836707957742_o.jpg

(Click on image to enlarge. Everyone mentiond in this case is pictured here)

Albert was Lena Chapin’s stepfather from 1992 to 1996 before his wife Sandy left him for his brother, Gary.

“I loved those girls like they were my own,” Albert says. “Growing up, Lena was always loyal to Sandy, and Sandy rewarded her for that.
---
That night Chapin told Albert she knew the truth of what happened to his brother four years previous, on May 11, 1999, when Lena was 13. Knowing the significance of the conversation, Albert recorded it without Lena’s knowledge, and today a copy still exists at the Barry County Sheriff’s Office, according to sheriff Mick Epperly.
---
On tape, Chapin claims she and her sisters arrived home from school May 11, 1999, to find their mother waiting for them at the bus stop. Lena says Sandy sent her sisters to do chores at the family’s barn and brought her inside where Gary’s body was sprawled out on a bedroom floor.

“She (Sandy) was crying and all she wanted to say was ‘I can’t believe this happened, I can’t believe this happened,’” Lena said in the recording. “And that’s all she’d say, the whole time when she was freaking out and telling me she was bawling and saying, ‘I can’t believe this happened.’ And I asked her, I’m like, ‘I want to see.’ I didn’t believe it. You know when you think to yourself, okay there’s a dead person in your house, you know, you’re not thinking, okay, come on now, whatever, it’s just like, I want to see. She wouldn’t let me see. She had her door locked. I said ‘I wanna see. I wanna see it right now.’ I know if I had’a seen the whole thing, I woulda flipped out. I woulda flipped out. But there was a crack in the door and I looked and I saw it and I completely went crazy. I started spazzing out on her and I went ‘What the hell happened, what happened,’ you know.”

Lena told Albert she believed Sandy shot Gary while he sat on their living room couch eating a plate of scrambled eggs. Lena went on to say she then helped her mother methodically clean up the murder scene over the course of two days while her sisters went to school. Chapin said they pulled up carpets, bleached the floors and that Gary’s body was burned on top of a brush pile.

School records obtained by law enforcement indicate Chapin was not in school May 12 and left school early on May 13, Epperly confirms.

“If you want something of Gary’s to stick in the ground there is nothing left,” Chapin was recorded to have said. “He was burned, completely burned and everything. Everything that was, you know, left at the burn pile was put in buckets and spread all over. So I don’t remember where they’re at… I was there, I am the only one that knows. I am the only one that knows exactly what happened, but there is nothing left… there is nothing left. I burned my fingers… I burned a few of my fingers picking up ashes and bones.”
---

80269185_2720180578260808_6800933847047556413_n.png

Lena’s older sister, Brandi Petersen, remembers being skeptical of the Florida story from the first time she heard it.

“There’s no way Lena would have left Colter behind,” Petersen says. “Lena loved Colter more than anything. There is scrapbook after scrapbook which proves it. She also wouldn’t have given mom the satisfaction of getting Colter. Mom and Lena were always fighting over him. Mom would go to Country Mart (in Salem) and show him off and say he was hers, and Lena would be like, stop saying that mom, he’s mine. One time Lena and I were going to take Colter to see his father in Arkansas, and mom called us flipping out saying ‘You bring him home, you bring him home right now or I am going to kill myself.’”

Petersen further says that Sandy and Lena were feuding over legal guardianship over Colter, which Chapin would not concede. Throughout this time, Petersen says Sandy also insisted Colter call her “mom,” much to Lena’s frustration.

Hi this case has really effected me makes me feel so sad for that poor little boy I’ve been trying to find out information but honestly not sure where to start I may need to read up on the advise pages here too. During my brief bit of looking I found there is a Fb group recently set up with I’m told a member of the family in to help piece together what happened and get justice for colter and Lena. Anyone have any ideas how the daughters could get more interest in maybe forensics looking into the properties where the mom lived when Lena went missing and Gary’s old house? Someone mentioned blood would still show up if it was looked for with the light bit I don’t know as the daughters said bleach was used to clean up evidence?? Did anyone ever consider hiring a private detective to watch the mom with the grandson too or look into the old properties she’s lived at to gather evidence? I just have no clue sorry.
what really bothers me is if she’s capable of all this, it beggars belief she still has custody of that little boy now?! How could that be?? Would a women like that tell him what’s she’s done too? Or have made any reference to his real mother? The fact there is enough suspicion and a tape of Lena I would have thought official people would be concerned that she’s raising him and possibly as her own son really really awful!

Also can anyone tell me, am I allowed to post a link up to the group on fb? I don’t want to break rules here xx

Whilst doing a little digging about for one of the other episodes yesterday, I came across these google drive case files that have been posted up by Unsolved Mysteries. It has several exclusive pieces of content as well as several pieces of evidence shown in the episode about the case: look for Missing Witness in the folders -

‪Unsolved Mysteries | Case Files‬‏ - Google Drive

Also can anyone tell me, am I allowed to post a link up to the group on fb? I don’t want to break rules here xx
I'd like to know this also as I've come across some things online but they have screenshots of Facebook as well as other sites so Im entirely unsure if I'm allowed to post said link to items due to it being Facebook related.

The
I'd like to know this also as I've come across some things online but they have screenshots of Facebook as well as other sites so Im entirely unsure if I'm allowed to post said link to items due to it being Facebook related.
There is a file although I can’t link it sorry as my phone is being awkward but if you search from the home page they give more information about what is ok and not ok - from what I gather you can share but with permissions but I’d read these first to be sure :)

From 2016

75418876_2720176554927877_1747510836707957742_o.jpg

(Click on image to enlarge. Everyone mentiond in this case is pictured here)

Albert was Lena Chapin’s stepfather from 1992 to 1996 before his wife Sandy left him for his brother, Gary.

“I loved those girls like they were my own,” Albert says. “Growing up, Lena was always loyal to Sandy, and Sandy rewarded her for that.
---
That night Chapin told Albert she knew the truth of what happened to his brother four years previous, on May 11, 1999, when Lena was 13. Knowing the significance of the conversation, Albert recorded it without Lena’s knowledge, and today a copy still exists at the Barry County Sheriff’s Office, according to sheriff Mick Epperly.
---
On tape, Chapin claims she and her sisters arrived home from school May 11, 1999, to find their mother waiting for them at the bus stop. Lena says Sandy sent her sisters to do chores at the family’s barn and brought her inside where Gary’s body was sprawled out on a bedroom floor.

“She (Sandy) was crying and all she wanted to say was ‘I can’t believe this happened, I can’t believe this happened,’” Lena said in the recording. “And that’s all she’d say, the whole time when she was freaking out and telling me she was bawling and saying, ‘I can’t believe this happened.’ And I asked her, I’m like, ‘I want to see.’ I didn’t believe it. You know when you think to yourself, okay there’s a dead person in your house, you know, you’re not thinking, okay, come on now, whatever, it’s just like, I want to see. She wouldn’t let me see. She had her door locked. I said ‘I wanna see. I wanna see it right now.’ I know if I had’a seen the whole thing, I woulda flipped out. I woulda flipped out. But there was a crack in the door and I looked and I saw it and I completely went crazy. I started spazzing out on her and I went ‘What the hell happened, what happened,’ you know.”

Lena told Albert she believed Sandy shot Gary while he sat on their living room couch eating a plate of scrambled eggs. Lena went on to say she then helped her mother methodically clean up the murder scene over the course of two days while her sisters went to school. Chapin said they pulled up carpets, bleached the floors and that Gary’s body was burned on top of a brush pile.

School records obtained by law enforcement indicate Chapin was not in school May 12 and left school early on May 13, Epperly confirms.

“If you want something of Gary’s to stick in the ground there is nothing left,” Chapin was recorded to have said. “He was burned, completely burned and everything. Everything that was, you know, left at the burn pile was put in buckets and spread all over. So I don’t remember where they’re at… I was there, I am the only one that knows. I am the only one that knows exactly what happened, but there is nothing left… there is nothing left. I burned my fingers… I burned a few of my fingers picking up ashes and bones.”
---

80269185_2720180578260808_6800933847047556413_n.png

Lena’s older sister, Brandi Petersen, remembers being skeptical of the Florida story from the first time she heard it.

“There’s no way Lena would have left Colter behind,” Petersen says. “Lena loved Colter more than anything. There is scrapbook after scrapbook which proves it. She also wouldn’t have given mom the satisfaction of getting Colter. Mom and Lena were always fighting over him. Mom would go to Country Mart (in Salem) and show him off and say he was hers, and Lena would be like, stop saying that mom, he’s mine. One time Lena and I were going to take Colter to see his father in Arkansas, and mom called us flipping out saying ‘You bring him home, you bring him home right now or I am going to kill myself.’”

Petersen further says that Sandy and Lena were feuding over legal guardianship over Colter, which Chapin would not concede. Throughout this time, Petersen says Sandy also insisted Colter call her “mom,” much to Lena’s frustration.

This is one of the most F-d up cases I've ever heard of. There's a nice warm place for that Sandy lady in hades. A true psychopathic serial killer. I would love an update about how Colter is doing in life, and if he knows his "Grandmother" is a flat-out killer and user of people? That queen of the narcissists makes my ex-look like princess Diana. Justice needs to be done for Gary and Lena. I hope Colter is safe and as happy as he can be with THAT woman. I pray he's a much better person than her. No telling what she's told him AND withheld from him! The truth will come out eventually. I wonder if Sandy has dated or married more men since the most recent one listed?

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back