Interstate 45 shut down both directions-Bus Fire

Beyond Belief said:
Don't have a link yet.

No link I was listening to the radio coming in... a bus carrying evacuees caught fire on I-45 ....they got everyone off, but the bus exploded... now that is causing an already backed up situation to be even worse... Thank God they got the people off the bus

Fox just said people trapped inside bus. But who knows for sure. I hope your report is correct.

Beyond Belief said:
Fox just said people trapped inside bus. But who knows for sure. I hope your report is correct.

HMMMMM The traffic people on the helicopter said everyone was off.... wonder what gives there?

the helicopter people are probably right. fox is slow on the reports sometime.

Beyond Belief said:
the helicopter people are probably right. fox is slow on the reports sometime.

They were on the scene when it happened and captured the explosions on film..... it was a traffic Helicopter for CBS11 out of Dallas. They also do the radio traffic reports for the station I listen to.... KLUV Oldies Radio

Beyond Belief said:
Fox reporting several fatalities.

The bus caught fire at the engine, located in the back.... driver pulled over and evacuation started, and then it blew up three times according to the helicopter crew. They said that there were several on stretchers being carried to ambulances, but looked as if everyone got off the bus before it exploded.

mysteriew said:
I don't know how it happened, but it looks like a Cincinnati news channel has the story.
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/5010437/detail.html

Its finally on the Dallas Morning News' website:

BREAKING NEWS • Northbound Interstate 45 at Mars Road in Wilmer is closed after fire destroyed an intercity passenger bus filled with evacuees from Hurricane Rita. At least one person is dead and about a dozen others are being treated for injuries. Fire officials say an explosion preceded the fire. Northbound traffic is backed up 3 to 4 miles.

A bus burst into flames outside Dallas on Friday, killing 20 people and closing a primary evacuation route for Hurricane Rita, WFAA-TV reported.

Jeana (DP) said:
A bus burst into flames outside Dallas on Friday, killing 20 people and closing a primary evacuation route for Hurricane Rita, WFAA-TV reported.
They seem to think the oxygen tanks being used by the elderly passengers played a role in the explosion. Sad very very sad.

-- AP: Dallas TV station WFAA reports 20 people killed when bus loaded with Hurricane Rita evacuees erupted in flames south of Dallas.

OMG, look at the picture of the bus!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/index.aol.html

Mabel said:
Do you ever get the feeling the world is coming to an end?

Mabel, you read my mind. How much more can be endured?

I'm sitting here, "safe" in Chicago, and my heart is just breaking for everyone affected by all this.

What is going on?

They just reported from Baytown....where I live, that if it hits a strong 4 or 5 that the residents might be exposed to a chemical cloud. Mean while...back at the camp, the mayor of Houston was again saying....."We told you this was going to happen if you waited too long to evacuate." We were told to make plans for evacuation many days ago. Why didn't some listen? :( Now, they are told to not get on the road because they can't make it out in time. I had posted earlier that some didn't want to leave due to jobs not approving missing work for the evacuation. The airport was announcing they were slower loading because many employees didn't show up for work. Now those people will come home to damaged, if not a total loss of their homes, without jobs to return to. This is very sad. They said storm surge expected in Baytown, if Rita continues on current path are 8-18 feet high. I am sad. Insurance doesn't buy back what you have collected over a life time. Insurance doesn't buy back my family. :(

http://www.cnn.com/

Evacuee bus explodes as Rita closes in

A bus carrying elderly Hurricane Rita evacuees caught fire and exploded early today on a crowded Texas interstate, killing as many as 20 people. Forecasters say it appears Houston and Galveston could avoid a direct hit from the storm. The latest advisory from the National Hurricane Center has Rita making landfall along the Southwest Louisiana and upper Texas coasts late today or tonight. The storm is about 220 miles from the coast.

dxmkog.jpg

Wow, how tragic!! Prayers for all those who died, and for their families.

Bus fire, explosion claims 24 lives on I-45

AP
The burnt-out bus, with dead bodies still aboard, will be moved from Interstate 45 this morning to help ease traffic congestion for thousands of motorists fleeing Hurricane Rita.A bus bound for Dallas exploded early Friday on traffic-packed Interstate 45 in Wilmer, killing at least 24 mostly elderly nursing home patients being evacuated from Houston as Hurricane Rita approached. Thirteen others were injured and taken to area hospitals.

www.dallasnews.com

Jeana (DP) said:
Bus fire, explosion claims 24 lives on I-45

AP
The burnt-out bus, with dead bodies still aboard, will be moved from Interstate 45 this morning to help ease traffic congestion for thousands of motorists fleeing Hurricane Rita.A bus bound for Dallas exploded early Friday on traffic-packed Interstate 45 in Wilmer, killing at least 24 mostly elderly nursing home patients being evacuated from Houston as Hurricane Rita approached. Thirteen others were injured and taken to area hospitals.

www.dallasnews.com
They were showing it burning on the news. :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk