CA - Mario Woods, 26, shot by LE, San Francisco, 2 Dec 2015

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
Dec. 4:
Pictured: Man shot dead by TEN San Francisco cops when he ignored their order to drop his knife
Mario Woods was killed in a volley of shots by police after he ignored their demands to drop a knife, San Francisco police Sgt. Michael Andraychak said.
The 26-year-old is said to have stabbed a man about an hour before the shooting.
^Images and video. Graphic.

Dec. 4:
New video emerges of San Francisco police shooting man with knife – video (GRAPHIC)

Dec. 7:
Video Evidence Appears to Contradict SFPD Account of Mario Woods Killing

“We were able to enhance one second of the tweeted video… which shows the officer engaging with Mr. Woods and Mr. Woods’ arm with the knife outstretched. The officer fearing for his safety. … He fired in defense of himself and the other four officers fired in defense of that officer.”
However, a careful review of the short Instagram video Suhr referred to suggests that officers opened fire a fraction of a second before Woods’ arm moved.

This was 10 days ago. I searched for a thread and didn't find one.

Dec. 11:

San Francisco: Police release names of five officers who fatally shot man

The San Francisco Police Department Friday released the names of the five officers involved in the controversial fatal shooting last week of 26-year-old Mario Woods.

The officers who fired their weapons in the Dec. 2 shooting are Winson Seto, Antonio Santos, Charles August, Nicholas Cuevas and Scott Phillips, according to police.

Attorney John Burris Friday filed a civil rights and wrongful death lawsuit in federal court on behalf of Woods' family alleging that the officers who opened fire on Woods last week, causing roughly 20 gunshot wounds to his body, used excessive force. The officers were attempting to detain Woods in connection with a stabbing at the time of the shooting.

Dec. 11:
Graphic new video released in fatal shooting San Francisco police shooting of Mario Woods

Graphic new video was released Friday of a fatal police shooting in San Francisco and the family is filing a wrongful death lawsuit.

The release of the video coincided with a demonstration involving 100 students who took to the streets of San Francisco to protest police brutality

Dec. 12:
Family sues as video casts new light on police killing of Mario Woods

A new video of the fatal shooting of Mario Woods shows San Francisco police officers fired a barrage of shots at him while he held his arms at his sides, an apparent contradiction to the Police Department’s account that he prompted his killing by threatening an officer with a kitchen knife.

The video was released Friday as attorney John Burris, who is representing Woods’ relatives, announced that the family file
^Lots more here, including video

Watching the video I can't make out any shots being fired.

The police department said the five cops opened fire after Woods refused to drop an 8-inch knife he was carrying The cops were responding to a stabbing report in the city's gritty Bayview neighborhood when they encountered and surrounded Woods....

Martin Halloran, president of the police union, maintained the officers acted appropriately: they first fired their weapons after pepper spray and the shooting of bean bags full of lead pellets, all of which failed to stop Woods.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...n-killed-cops-files-lawsuit-article-1.2463659

It has been said that he stabbed someone and was running from the scene. Then he was pepper sprayed and shot with pellets, and he still refused to put down his knife. Are the cops supposed to let him run off with his knife in hand? They tried two less than lethal methods and he was not complying.

What were they supposed to do next? Hand to hand combat with a perp with a knife?

I learned an important lesson tonight. Don't comment on a video you watched without audio. Without audio I couldn't make out when he was shot.

I learned an important lesson tonight. Don't comment on a video you watched without audio. Without audio I couldn't make out when he was shot.

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

Why didn't they use a taser? I just don't understand why they would shoot when there was another option. He wasn't lunging at the officers...he was walking away.

Scary how often this is happening and the claims by LE of self defense. IMO

Why didn't they use a taser? I just don't understand why they would shoot when there was another option. He wasn't lunging at the officers...he was walking away.

By now they all know they're being recorded, but they still do it. So they must think it's an acceptable action and the "feared for my safety" line is an excuse that covers anything. And too often it does.

Why didn't they use a taser? I just don't understand why they would shoot when there was another option. He wasn't lunging at the officers...he was walking away.Scary how often this is happening and the claims by LE of self defense. IMO
It is very easy to sit on the sidelines and second guess a guy coming at you with a knife. Would it have been better if the guy stabbed the cop first?

It is very easy to sit on the sidelines and second guess a guy coming at you with a knife. Would it have been better if the guy stabbed the cop first?

It would be better if he hadn't been murdered.

Sure -- but if you watch the video, there was absolutely nothing to indicate 'a guy coming at [anyone] with a knife'.

San Francisco does not have tasers. The Police Commission has thus far denied them and wants further or more advanced police training to deal with these kind of situations (kind of like they used to do). The Police Union wants tasers and after that they will be asking for bazookas. I say, demilitarize the Police, (and ban guns totally), but, that's just me.

Did the man he was thought to have stabbed survive?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Did the man he was thought to have stabbed survive?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think so.

The incident began at 3:49 p.m. Wednesday when the stabbing victim, also a San Francisco resident, was dropped off at San Francisco General Hospital with a stab wound to his shoulder, police said.

The victim, who is expected to survive, told police he was stabbed in the 6600 block of Third Street near Le Conte Avenue and gave authorities a description of the suspect.
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...-confrontation-caught-on-video-san-francisco/

Why do you assume LE would have been harmed unless the suspect was shot to the point he was prone on the ground dead?
They manage fine in the UK (terrorist with knife) but our only option seems to be the use of a gun.
It can be done. All it takes is want and better training. IMO

San Francisco does not have tasers. The Police Commission has thus far denied them and wants further or more advanced police training to deal with these kind of situations (kind of like they used to do). The Police Union wants tasers and after that they will be asking for bazookas. I say, demilitarize the Police, (and ban guns totally), but, that's just me.

So in SF lethal force/gun is better than a taser. I agree they could use better training but until then (I never thought I would say this) they need tasers.
All those LE in that video and they couldn't take him down without a gun....for shame. IMO

By now they all know they're being recorded, but they still do it. So they must think it's an acceptable action and the "feared for my safety" line is an excuse that covers anything. And too often it does.

Scary how many times we have only had their word due to not having video. IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back