CA - Instructor shoots pastor in gun safety class

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Modesto Bee:

Modesto pastor recovering from accidental gunshot in firearm-safety class

RawStory:

Firearms instructor accidentally shoots California pastor during gun safety class

A California gun safety instructor, Phillip Rushing, accidentally shot a pastor taking his class after swapping out a rubber dummy for a firearm loaded with live ammunition.

Tom Smith, pastor at The House Modesto, was shot and wounded in the hip Dec. 5 at the Personal Protection Institute.
---
the rest at the links

I'm sure it was an unintentional, but mistakes were made. A professional instructor should know better.

But as the class was ending, she said, he removed that prop from his holster and replaced it with his real handgun.

About that time, Graves said, a student asked Rushing to demonstrate what to do if attacked by someone armed with a knife. Smith volunteered to portray the attacker in a role-playing exercise.

“During the scenario, the instructor drew the firearm and it accidentally discharged,” she said. She did not know whether Rushing forgot he replaced the training gun or whether he knew he was drawing the real gun.

“If you’re a firearms instructor long enough, you’re going to see accidents happen,” he said.

But having a real gun in a classroom “should never happen,” Gray said.

I wonder what kind of release a student signs before taking the course.

I'll quibble w some phrases the reporter and others used:
1.'The gun went off.' Sorry, no, the person holding the gun pulled trigger & fired it.
2. It was an "accidental discharge." Sorry, no, it was a negligent discharge w culpable carelessness.*
From US Airforce website: "A negligent discharge occurs when a weapon is fired due to either operator error or a lack of attention to basic safety rules." bbm

Not clear to me whether shooting occurred -
- in a classroom setting (lecture, discussion, pencil & paper tests), or
- at a range where instructor demo's positions, aiming, firing, & students practice gun handling & shooting.

In classes I'm aware of, protocol in classroom, is like another instructor at link described:
"... a live weapon should never have been in the classroom." (if shooting occurred in classroom)
No real guns, no ammo. Only 'blue guns' (or similar trainers).*
If shooting occurred at a range, still should not have happened (obviously, Captain Obvious).

Are criminal chgs approp. against firearms instructor? Imo, the prosecutor should certainly consider filing. JM2cts.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintentional_discharge_(firearms)
"A negligent discharge (ND) is a discharge of a firearm involving culpable carelessness. In judicial and military technical terms, a negligent discharge is a chargeable offence. A number of armed forces automatically consider any accidental discharge to be negligent discharge, under the assumption that a trained soldier has control of his firearm at all times.... This is the case in the United States Army,[SUP][4...."[/SUP]

** http://www.blueguns.com/default.asp?
"A Safe Alternative to Live Firearm Training
Ring’s Manufacturing crafts the most detailed, accurate and extensive line of “Firearm Simulators” on the market today. All of our products are inert detailed replicas of actual weapons designed for Law Enforcement and Military Training.

Each product is made with strong, impact-resistant polyurethane with steel reinforcement. This prevents bending and flexing while maintaining the detail, handling and balance of the actual weapon they represent.
Each gun is fabricated in "Law Enforcement Blue" - the most recognized safety color
in the world. Ask for “BLUEGUNS ", a realistic & safe alternative to using live firearms in training situations
." bbm

He should never had taken a loaded weapon into the classroom or wherever he was teaching. That was negligent. But I think it should be a civil suit and not a criminal charge, IMO>

Idle curiosity...I wonder why a pastor was taking a gun and knife class?

^sbm
Just a guess, but maybe like many other ppl, self defense, a handy skill if home-invaders barge into his house.

He should never had taken a loaded weapon into the classroom or wherever he was teaching. That was negligent. But I think it should be a civil suit and not a criminal charge, IMO>

As a safety concern, I would agree with you on that. However, in the world we live in today, if I were an firearms instructor? I would have to be fully armed at all times - just in case a student might be inclined to bring a real weapon to class with criminal intentions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back