IN - Nicholas James, 19, James Raganyi, 16, Michael Dennis, 13, slain, Hammond, 2003

Just to correct things a bit:
Its a middle aged man who killed several local teenagers, two of whom had apparently written notes saying they were running away thus indicating duress rather than the quick killings that the news reports seem to be indicating.

Originally posted by Toth
Just to correct things a bit:
Its a middle aged man who killed several local teenagers, two of whom had apparently written notes saying they were running away thus indicating duress rather than the quick killings that the news reports seem to be indicating.
What are you correcting? I did not notice any news reports stating that these were quick killings, or that they all had just happened. This is the same case as the one on the missing forum. Was there a goofy news report there?

The first post in the thread read 'teen murder suspect' and that is abiguous: it could refer to a murder suspect who is a teenager or it could refer to a person of any age who is suspected of murdering teens.
Some news reports focus on the 'strangled after a night of drinking' which seems to indicate that there were no "preliminary activities" but if they wrote notes about running away, obviously a great deal happened before they were strangled.

Got it. I knew which case this was, so read it the way intended, but I see your point. Most of the reports I had seen previously talked about how the kids had been hanging around Crazy Dave before they went missing. (that's how they knew to look there) The link at the begnning of the thread said the same. Just checking.

A man accused of killing three teenagers and burying their bodies in the basement of his Hammond home pleaded guilty today to all three killings.

David Edward Maust, 51, entered a plea agreement in which he admitted murdering James Raganyi, 16; Nicholas James, 19; and Michael Dennis, 13.

In exchange, Maust is expected to receive three sentences of life without parole to be served consecutively.

Maust asked to serve his sentence isolated from the rest of the prison population. He will be sentenced Dec. 16.
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/5215675/detail.html

Police searched the basement of Maust's apartment building and found freshly poured concrete. A cadaver-sniffing police dog led police to remove the concrete and expose the graves. At least two bodies were wrapped in plastic and secured with cords and tape.

Police said they suspect Raganyi and Dennis died of suffocation or strangulation and James of a fractured skull.

Maust, whose trial was scheduled to start Monday, will be sentenced Dec. 16.

Maust has been in and out of mental institutions since an early age. In Illinois, a judge committed him in 1985 because he was unfit to stand trial on an earlier murder charge.
http://www.fresnobee.com/24hour/nation/story/2856090p-11518802c.html

Why was this man ever released back into society? Did he suddenly become sane?

I hope his request to not be put in gen pop is denied. He deserves to live the rest of his life watching his back in FEAR everday. If he's afraid, then he's not all that crazy. I just don't understand how people like him have the nerve to ask for a break!

SadieMae said:
I hope his request to not be put in gen pop is denied. He deserves to live the rest of his life watching his back in FEAR everday. If he's afraid, then he's not all that crazy. I just don't understand how people like him have the nerve to ask for a break!

I agree completely! Mentally Ill or Not..This man has lost his right to live in a civialized society! YES, If he is crazy get him his medications but keep him locked up.... forever!

Lake County Prosecutor Bernard Carter and lead defense counsel Thomas Vanes have been negotiating the plea since January. Their main interest, as well as Maust's, they said, was to ensure he is never out of prison again.

The victims' families supported the plea agreement, Carter said.

The details of a statement Maust gave Saturday are part of the investigation process, Carter said, and are available to victims' families but not the public.

"Basically, he drugged them with alcohol, and the date-rape drug, then strangled them," Carter said.

"The first one, Nicholas James, he hit in the head with a baseball bat, then strangled him. He said the first one was too bloody, so he strangled the others.

"I don't think he seeks them out -- goes out picking up strangers. He has a friendship with them -- lifting weights, he bought a bike for one of them and rode around on a bike himself. He acts like a 12-year-old kid.

"He was afraid they'd abandon him and he didn't want them to, so he killed them.

Carter said prosecutors, Maust and his defense attorneys spent nearly six hours together Saturday talking about the crimes and the agreement he already signed.

"Both of us requested Saturday's meeting. It gave us a window into him," Carter said, referring to the meeting as an unusual opportunity. "He wanted to get it off his chest, and we wanted to make sure there aren't any other young boys buried out there."

Since Maust's arrest, rumors abounded about the possibility he murdered others whose bodies had not been found.
http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2005/11/01/news/top_news/b1df5a536afcfdf7862570ac000893f8.txt

Maust, 51, asked to be isolated from other prisoners for the rest of his life. A fitting ending, defense lawyers said, for a man who was abandoned by his mother and father and spent his childhood in a mental institution where he was sexually molested.

Titled "Defendant's Sentencing Memorandum," the document includes Maust's family history, reports from social workers assigned to his case at Chicago State Hospital, a 1999 letter from Maust to Illinois prison officials in which he asks to be kept behind bars, and a 2004 capital sentencing report by a psychologist.

In that report, Mark Cunningham, a clinical and forensic psychologist, stated: "In fact, one would be hard-pressed to design a developmental sequence more likely to produce a profoundly disturbed, relationship-ambivalent, and aggression-vulnerable individual than the childhood experienced by David Maust."

His mother, Eva Maust, was described by a social worker as "disturbed," "psychotic," "functioning marginally," "needy," and "narcissistic." She had a nervous breakdown after Jeffrey Maust was born and spent a month in a mental hospital in Pennsylvania.

His father, George Maust, was apparently raised in foster homes because his parents died before he was 12, the report states.

At his mother's request, David Maust was committed to Chicago State Hospital when he was 9 -- a mental hospital that had a reputation as a "snake pit," filled with children who were there more often than not because family members were mentally ill and couldn't, or wouldn't, take care of them.

"All suggest Eva Maust 'dumped' her son in a mental hospital," the report states.
http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/2005/11/01/news/top_news/d8e3e26dba3e9cde862570ac00120482.txt

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060120...MWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

A man sentenced to life in prison for murdering three teens and burying their bodies in a basement died Friday, a day after he was found hanging from a twisted bed sheet in his jail cell, a hospital spokesman said.
Maust pleaded last fall to killing Michael Dennis, 13, James Raganyi, 16, and Nicholas James, 19, whose bodies were found buried in his basement, and was sentenced to three consecutive life terms without the chance for parole in exchange for the state withdrawing all death penalty requests.

He had also served time in an Illinois prison for the 1981 murder of a 15-year-old boy before being released in 1999, and he was convicted of manslaughter while serving in the Army for the killing of a teenager in Germany.
http://www.thetimesonline.com/site_...maustletter.pdf
This is the actual copy of Maust's suicide note. I will admit that he seems remorseful, and wanted to die.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back