VA VA - Katelin Akens, 19, Springfield, 5 Dec 2015 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
pEwAESK.jpg

Katelin Akens

Spotsylvania police looking for missing 19-year-old woman
"Spotsylvania police are investigating the disappearance of a 19-year-old woman.

According to Katelin Akens’s family, her stepfather took her to the Franconia-Springfield Metro station on Saturday for her trip back to college in Arizona, said Spotsylvania Sheriff's Capt. Jeff Pearce. She was supposed to take the Metro to Reagan National Airport.

She never showed up in Arizona.

“Nobody’s heard from her or seen her since."

Then, on Monday, her luggage was found by workers in a drainage ditch along River Road, not far from the Fall Hill Avenue intersection.

Detectives have the luggage and are looking for Akens, said Pearce."

5666194653b43.image.jpg
0fd1ndR.jpg
JgTNlDQ.jpg

http://m.fredericksburg.com/news/cr...cdc-9d39-11e5-9ead-3b7e7375d47f.html?mode=jqm

https://www.facebook.com/BrentSolom...53791234450/10153753790554450/?type=3&theater

Thread 1

This is definitely frustrating. The LE silence, and active discouragement of community searches points to one of at least three things:

1) They have strong reason to believe she will not be found due to being harmed.
2) They have strong reason to believe she will not be found due to running off.
3) The really frustrating possibility is that they may have pinpointed their investigation on one particular unannounced POI and are not following up with other possibilities due to the arrogance/tunnel vision that tends to creep in when a particular theory seems really strong to investigators.

I believe it was reported that his vehicle was seen in the area of the mall. There haven't been any verified sightings of Katelin.

It may be that he went to a gas station, as they usually have cameras. Either after dropping Katelin off (or possibly trying to establish an alibi). We don't really know where he was, only that he was in the area, so it could be that either the camera only got his licence plate and not the occupant/s, or he was the only occupant at that particular time.

There are no gas stations in the general vicinity of the mall (and that used to drive me CRAZY!) .

And for the person who asked, the mall is a .25-.5mi walk to the metro. Easy peasy. I still don't think she was ever in Springfield.

There have not been any MSM updates since December 10th, except when they were raising awareness on December 13.

What's going on????

There is nothing in the Fredricksburg online news this morning. It was the first thing I checked. We badly need some sort of update!

I have two daughters.They are both much older than Katelin but I remember how they were at that age meaning they weren't quite adult but no longer a child. IIRC, she had been in Arizona for a year and came back to visit her newly born nephew. She was extremely close to the sister exchanging texts all day every day (also IIRC). It was/is the month of Christmas with all the decorations going up and Christmas music everywhere. Christmas is a time when there is good cheer all around (except for the Grinch). I just cannot see Katelin putting her family through this if she left on her own. She would know that Christmas this year would be just another day to them agonizing about where she was and what may have happened to her. I, for one, would be extremely shocked if Katelin left on her own.

Something has happened to this young woman, IMO.

*Please excuse any typos in this post. My wireless keyboard has a mind of it's own and needs new batteries. I have no spare batteries and will have to go get some! :(

http://www.missingpersonsofamerica.com/2011/05/when-adult-is-voluntarily-missing.html

"With no evidence of crime, police cannot get a search warrant that will allow them to get account information for their internet or cell phone. You can point the finger at the cell phone or internet companies, but then you have to remember, they are the same companies that are keeping your information safe and away from nosy people. And you also have to remember, if you wanted to "disappear" wouldn't you be thankful that you could and no one, not even your own parents, could stop you, nor find you by that information. As an adult, you become free as a bird to do whatever you want in life, even if it means disappearing and never seeing your family again."

BBM- Did LE have warrants for Katelin's phone/internet/etc. or was the information from her sm accounts given by family/friends? Is a suitcase on the side of the road evidence of a crime? I assume it depends on who is obtaining the warrant and who is granting it, but this article makes me think that getting a search warrant on a phone is more difficult than just saying "hey, we need a warrant because something might have happened". If that's the case, then it makes me wonder if LE found more than just a suitcase. Or if they are sitting on their hands until some real evidence is found that allows them to get a warrant.

Articles in the beginning made it sound like LE was more invested in the voluntarily missing theory than foul play, but maybe that was just shoddy reporting or I read it wrong.

In the event that Katelin was voluntarily missing and SD knew her plan, would SD's word be enough? Would LE be legally obligated to let her family know she was alive and well if that was against Katelin's wishes? Would LE still be eyeballing SD until they could prove it themselves?

I just don't know what to think in this case. Too many questions, not enough answers.

http://www.people.com/article/spotsylvania-county-katelin-michelle-akens-missing-heather-ciccone-dead

"The contents of luggage gave us some leads that we're following actively as we speak," he says, adding that it didn't show any signs of being tampered with. He would not elaborate on the specific nature of those contents, citing an open investigation, but he did say that it gave him hope Akens would be found alive.

In this article I keep going back to the statement in quotes. What could have been in her luggage that perhaps provided LE with leads? If she chose to disappear voluntarily then could she have left a letter or note that gave LE the idea that she would be found alive? Just a thought.

All LE has to do is get a warrant signed by a judge to get cell records. They have done it fairly quickly in some cases. The warrants for cell phone records can even be faxed to the carrier. That was what was done in the Sievers case (faxed) and hard copy to follow. LE got the information rather quickly. Just fax with hard copy to follow. Besides that, what family and or friends would mind LE looking at their cell phone records in a missing loved one's case?

MOO

All LE has to do is get a warrant signed by a judge to get cell records. They have done it fairly quickly in some cases. The warrants for cell phone records can even be faxed to the carrier. That was what was done in the Sievers case (faxed) and hard copy to follow. LE got the information rather quickly. Just fax with hard copy to follow. Besides that, what family and or friends would mind LE looking at their cell phone records in a missing loved one's case?

MOO

Katelin's phone was a prepaid phone . With a prepaid phones LE does not need a warrant to obtain records on any prepaid account no contract phone. I think it is actually the no contract part that makes it possible. I am not sure how it works for out of contract phones.

Link explaining that.
http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/lose-the-burners-court-okays-prepaid-phone-tracking/d/d-id/1105814?

Had to take a break, I never thought we'd get to a second thread 😕
IMO, I think LE does have a POI but they're keeping everything quiet as to not frighten that person off and to keep them talking. JMO only though.

2nd thread and apparently no breaks or at least none in the news. This case really raises questions for me:
Has the stepfather taken a polygraph test?

Has LE interviewed stepfather's neighbors? That is, did anyone see them get in the car and leave for Springfield?

If this was someone who harmed Katelin, why dump the suitcase on that road and not in a dumpster somewhere? If you want to make it look like she disappeared near the Metro, then putting in a dumpster in the DC area would make more sense. It also would less likely to be found. There are areas near the Metro there where you can dump it and a homeless person would be more likely to grab it.

Why dump the suitcase where they did? Did they know the area and know it would be discovered fairly quickly? Did they not know the area and not know it would be found easily? (The road crew finding the suitcase is a circumstance that throws any reasoning there out of whack. Had they not been working that section of the road on Monday, how long would it have been there?)

Was a trip made to Springfield and then returned? Then a cell phone left at home to avoid leaving a trail of pings while taking a 2nd quicker trip to dump the suitcase? (In which case, Katelin may have not made a trip to Springfield.)

There is nothing in the Fredricksburg online news this morning. It was the first thing I checked. We badly need some sort of update!

I have two daughters.They are both much older than Katelin but I remember how they were at that age meaning they weren't quite adult but no longer a child. IIRC, she had been in Arizona for a year and came back to visit her newly born nephew. She was extremely close to the sister exchanging texts all day every day (also IIRC). It was/is the month of Christmas with all the decorations going up and Christmas music everywhere. Christmas is a time when there is good cheer all around (except for the Grinch). I just cannot see Katelin putting her family through this if she left on her own. She would know that Christmas this year would be just another day to them agonizing about where she was and what may have happened to her. I, for one, would be extremely shocked if Katelin left on her own.

Something has happened to this young woman, IMO.

*Please excuse any typos in this post. My wireless keyboard has a mind of it's own and needs new batteries. I have no spare batteries and will have to go get some! :(

I agree LaLaw. Everyday I hope it will be the day we get some news...............

Had to take a break, I never thought we'd get to a second thread 😕
IMO, I think LE does have a POI but they're keeping everything quiet as to not frighten that person off and to keep them talking. JMO only though.

If I had done whatever, I'd be more unnerved by LE going "radio silent" than by mass searches and pressers every day.

Maybe the car was spotted near the mall because they were there. Maybe that's where an argument insued. Right before drop-off a comment is made (I can speculate it was about K's sexuality or choice to live far away: "I can't believe you'd leave your sister with a new baby" "I can't believe you're going back to her" etc etc but it's all speculation as I don't know the true dynamic between Katelin & any of her family or friends), an argument starts. Maybe Katelin was about to get out of the car, the person she was with heard something they didn't like, and Katelin's plans suddenly changed (and not at her choosing). Obviously this is just a theory/my opinion on how something could have gone down. I don't think what happened to Katelin was planned. If Katelin isn't responsible for her own disappearance the luggage, the texts, all point to decisions made hastily after the fact.

And I agree with the opinion that radio silence is worse for a perp than detailed plans by LE.. Sitting & waiting not knowing if you left bread crumbs up to your door or not must be the worst for a guilty conscience (assuming they have one).

If I had done whatever, I'd be more unnerved by LE going "radio silent" than by mass searches and pressers every day.

Exactly or they are making it seem that they believe she is voluntarily missing so the POI thinks they're getting away with it and doesn't lawyer up. JMO of course, but I truly believe she isn't missing voluntarily.

:welcome3:

Come on in and make yourselves comfortable!

:daisy:

Had to take a break, I never thought we'd get to a second thread [emoji53]

I've heard this theory before, it was brought up in the Kendra Hatcher case when Delgado, who arranged Kendra's murder, was let go after a traffic violation. BD is now in Mexico.

So IMO that's not what's going on, or at least isn't the reason for the silence. They could be building a case and waiting to make an arrest though.

I really hope if they have a suspect they are closely monitoring the person.

2nd thread and apparently no breaks or at least none in the news. This case really raises questions for me:
Has the stepfather taken a polygraph test?

Has LE interviewed stepfather's neighbors? That is, did anyone see them get in the car and leave for Springfield?

If this was someone who harmed Katelin, why dump the suitcase on that road and not in a dumpster somewhere? If you want to make it look like she disappeared near the Metro, then putting in a dumpster in the DC area would make more sense. It also would less likely to be found. There are areas near the Metro there where you can dump it and a homeless person would be more likely to grab it.

Why dump the suitcase where they did? Did they know the area and know it would be discovered fairly quickly? Did they not know the area and not know it would be found easily? (The road crew finding the suitcase is a circumstance that throws any reasoning there out of whack. Had they not been working that section of the road on Monday, how long would it have been there?)

Was a trip made to Springfield and then returned? Then a cell phone left at home to avoid leaving a trail of pings while taking a 2nd quicker trip to dump the suitcase? (In which case, Katelin may have not made a trip to Springfield.)

If I was running away, I think I'd keep what little I had with me and not dump my suitcase at all; but if I did dump it, I'd put it in a dumpster where it would less likely be found. I guess it depends on how fast a dumpster would get filled and how quickly gets dumped. I'm sure they would search the landfill unless that had a good reason to. Also, SD could have easily made that route of going to the mall on his own to try to establish an alibi that he really went there but just not with Kaitlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow