UT UT - Salt Lake City, WhtFem 20-40, UP6947, handmade clothing, jewelry, pen bracelet, Sep'86

cocomod

Reaction score
Police share details of 29-year-old 'cold case,' ask for help

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=37...ear-old-cold-case-ask-for-help&s_cid=queue-17

SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake police detectives are making another attempt to identify the badly decomposed remains of a woman found 29 years ago in a sewage canal.

The only clues left today are a homemade dress, a homemade white blouse, jeans, a watch, a ring and a bracelet. Because of the style of dress, Salt Lake homicide detective Hilary Gordon believes there's a good chance the woman was a member of the Fundamentalist LDS Church.

But no women were reported missing from the FLDS community in 1986, and Gordon isn't sure the group's members would have reported a missing woman back then.

The woman is believed to have been white, between 20 and 40 years old, 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighing about 115 pounds. The body did not have any hair left when it was found.

Detectives believe the body may have been in the canal for several weeks to a month or more before it was discovered.

Unfortunately, all investigators have to compare records with today are the woman's teeth.

"In '86, they didn't do DNA back then like they do now. She was cremated, so we do not have remains to make any other comparisons," Gordon said.

Investigators also have not been able to find any usable traces of DNA on the woman's clothing that can be tested.

Gordon said there were no missing people from Utah in 1986 that match the woman's description. She has even checked the records of missing people in Canada and other areas of known polygamist communities.
:(

Anyone with information on the woman is asked to call Gordon at 801-799-3454.

http://kutv.com/news/local/police-ask-for-help-on-cold-case-with-woman-found-in-sewage-in-1986

Salt Lake detectives mentioned the specificity of the unique items found near the woman's body back in 1986. These items were available for media outlets to see:

Purple striped bracelet that clips to a pen
Sterling silver size 7 1/2 ring with one large stone (possibly hematite) and two cubic zirconium stones on the sides, stamped with C&G and "Sterling" on the inside.
Handmade blue polka dot dress with lace on the cuffs and collar, also attached was a cardboard tag inside with the #10 written on it.
"The dress is extremely unique - handmade - and it's still in great condition," Gordman said. "This dress was very common to the northern Utah polygamist community."

Detectives said the woman's body was so badly decomposed, she no longer had hair or many of her fingers. They attribute that to the nearly four weeks she remained in the bacteria-infested water.

"We know she was not stabbed or shot because there were not gunshot or stab markings in her bones," Gordman said.

If you have any information surrounding this cold case call (801) 799-3000.

Anonymous tips may be sent via text. Just text the keyword TIPSLCPD plus any relevant information to 274637.

This is so incredibly sad. This is all that remains of a human being and no name, yet I know there are many like this.

The ring and watch looks like it belonged to a man, IMO.

MOO

The ring and watch looks like it belonged to a man, IMO.

MOO

The ring does look like it could be a man's style but it was only a size 7 1/2 and men's rings almost never come in smaller than size 9. I suppose it could have been resized by a jeweler but I would expect that to be mentioned in the description.

Ruleouts from NamUs:

Nancy Baird 1952 Utah
Debra Frost 1967 Utah
Theresa Geaves 1959 Utah
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Sandra Matott 1942 Utah
Linda Peterson 1949 Utah
Marlene Puchuskie 1952 Utah
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Sally Stone 1964 Idaho
Sheree Warren 1960 Utah
Joyce Yost 1946 Utah

The dress could be measured & compared to size charts. Looks like her weight was proportional to her height.

I just noticed the jeans -- make & size, please?

My drycleaner's tags are paper & have multi-digit numbers pre-printed. The description reads "#10 written on it."

Now I've never stayed in Utah long enough for any dry cleaning....

is it possible her dress was for a job? There's a theme park in Branson Mo called silver dollar city. The people who work there wear similar clothing, but if she worked in a themed place it would had probably already been recommended.

is it possible her dress was for a job? There's a theme park in Branson Mo called silver dollar city. The people who work there wear similar clothing, but if she worked in a themed place it would had probably already been recommended.

There's a park in SLC that has the workers dress in period clothing. I wonder if LE asked around there. The park is called This is the place. It's significant to the early LDS church as it is where Brigham Young stood and declared the Saints to be home after the trek across the plains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dress shown in the pictures in the opening post does not have front buttons, implies back buttoning or a zipper.

I'd like to see the dress on a manikin, and inside-out on a manikin.

The pinned-in cardboard #10 tag might tie that dress to the This Is The Place attraction mentioned by mnegri!

Adding:

http://www.thisistheplace.org/index.html

Find pictures of young ladies in singing groups -- the dresses are remarkably similar to the dress shown in the opening post!

Thanks, mnegri, I think you're onto something....

Bump!

Any other pictures of singing groups at TITP available? Similar attractions in the area?

:seeya:

Her dental information are listed on gov Utah website:

Body Found: 9/3/1986
DOB: Estimated 1946-1966
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 100-120
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Unknown
Race: White
Identifying Features: Extensive dental work with both gold foil and amalgam restorations

CONTACT: Salt Lake City Police (801) 799-3560. On 9/3/1986 the body of a white female was located. The decedent was approx. 20-40 years of age with brown hair. She was wearing denim blue jeans without pockets and a lace trimmed light colored long sleeve blouse. She was wearing a silver ring with a centered black stone and an advance watch with a black band. Slender build

https://bci.utah.gov/missing-persons/unidentified-persons/

With regards to cloth it seems that she was wearing jeans and blouse when found and NOT the dress. From quite detailed description of the cloth in NamUs it seems to me that dress might have been found on the canal bank prior to her being located.

Clothing on body
Blouse: White in color with five white buttons down the front of the blouse. Buttons are small and round. Blouse is long sleeved and has buttons on the cuffs. Cuffs also have lace on them. There is a lace design also on the collar of the blouse.

Pants: Levi material with button and zipper in them. Belt loops would be made for a thin belt. In the middle of the back of the pants, one belt loop criss-crosses. Pants have no pockets. No bra and no underwear on body.

Clothing with body
A blue and white dress was found on the West canal bank. The dress was photographed and recovered. The dress was 12 feet off the East edge of the roadway and 37 paces north of a utility pole marked "PTT LPP 8/5/85, 4 45."
Dress appears to be homemade, has a cardboard tag on it with the #10 written on it, no other tags or markings.

(was dress found year prior or is 85 typo and it was found one month prior? It seems she was wearing blouse with lace, so somewhat similar to the dress found - with lace. Maybe she made both and dress was intended for sale, hence cardboard tag.)

Footwear None

Jewelry
Watch: Brand is Advance with a round, black face and an off-white checker pattern inside the glass. There are no numbers on the watch. Watch has a second hand. On bottom of watch it says Quartz and Japan. Also on the bottom there is a design of a swimmer.

Ring: Dark metal with black stone. "Sterling" stamped on the inner rim.

Other items found with body
Pink Comb, Pink Toothbrush, & Purple Bracelet that unclicks and turns into a pen.

Fingerprints: not available
Dental: charting is available and entered
DNA: Complete - Insufficient DNA for profiling

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6947

Weirdly I had exact same silly bracelet which turned into pen just in different colour. I don't know in US but I don't think they were popular in Europe as I have not seen it ever before or after that. It was given to me and I never wore that, albeit it was amusing gift.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back