WA WA - Jeannette Miller, 17, Arlington, 16 Sept 1970

Which of these scenarios do you believe to be most likely?

• A

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • B

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • C

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

CCJW

Reaction score
Missing person details:
Name: Jeannette Rose Miller
Nickname: Jeanette
Date of birth: 14/09/1953
Current age (if alive): 62
Age at disappearance: 17
Date of disappearance: 16/09/1970
Location of disappearance: Arlington, Snohomish County, Washington
Height: 5’1
Weight: 110lb
Race: White
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Clothing: Brown suede jacket, with fringe, long sleeved white blouse, white, yellow, blue and black plaid skirt, gold chain belt and dark blue shoes
Medical conditions: Three-tooth denture plate on the left side of upper jaw

Details of disappearance:
Jeanette was last seen on September 16, 1970 on the Lincoln Bridge in Arlington.
She was walking in the direction of her home up the SR530, when she was supposed to be picked up by her mother at the high school on French avenue.

Aftermath:
After Jeanette went missing, her family carried on looking for her along with the local community, however nothing was found that led to any clues. Lots of classmates were asked over the years if they had heard from her but none of them said they had.
The family has never had a memorial service as it has always been a sensitive topic.

Possible body matches:
http://doenetwork.org/cases/1057ufca.html
There are almost 40 other less likely matches.

Possible scenarios:
Scenario A: Surviving runaway: In this scenario, Jeannette ran away to California and survived: Jeannette had wanted to go to California that summer. Her mother had told her that she’d pick her up from school in the middle of town, but Jeannette went to another location and managed to hitchhike to California. She arrived in California and is still living there…I think this scenario isn’t 100% unlikely. Jeannette had wanted to drive the family car, but was unable to do so for financial reasons. She had wanted to go to California that Summer as well. The fact that she was walking away from the place her mother was supposed to pick her up says to me that something may have been amiss. However, she allegedly didn’t have any problems at home, she got on well with her family and was quite a shy introverted girl and so I doubt that she would’ve tried to run away in the first place.

Scenario B: Murdered runaway:
This scenario is the same as Scenario A, except Jeannette was murdered in California: Jeannette ran away to California as stated in scenario A. She fell in with the wrong crowd and was killed within a few weeks of arriving in California…I think this scenario could be more likely than Scenario A. There are reasons as to why Jeannette could have run away to California, however the Jane Doe mentioned above (1057ufca) shows some eerie similarities to Jeannette. The age, height and weight all match and the dental plate is also convincing. It is also mentioned that Jane Doe’s hair was died red and this could be a way for Jeannette to have disguised herself. The place where the body was found was also within the Zodiac Killer’s territory. The timeframe and Jeannette’s age also match this theory and so I think that this scenario could actually be quite likely.

Scenario C: Wrong place, wrong time: In this scenario, Jeannette found a marijuana plantation: Jeannette forgot that her mother was going to pick her up from school and she walked home. Just after she passed the Lincoln Bridge on the SR530, she went slightly off route and stumbled across a marijuana plantation on the banks of the South Fork Stillaguamish River. She was then killed and hidden as the people who were working on the plantation were worried that she would tell the police…At the time there were problems in the local area with marijuana being grown illegally and I think it’s entirely possible that the people dealing with these drugs would have gone to any measure, even murder, in order to stop people from finding out about what they were doing. I also think it’s unlikely that Jeannette would have run away from her family, especially without contacting them at all over the last 45 years and this could potentially be a much more likely scenario than Scenarios A and B.

Jeanette's Namus: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4581/

Right is composite image of what Jeannette may look like at 60 years old ( Completed on 2/12/2014)

Charley Project has an additional photo: http://charleyproject.org/case/jeannette-rose-miller

jeannette_rose_miller_2.jpg
[h=2][/h]

Some interesting scenarios. Perhaps a more likely one would be that someone, seeing her walking on the road, offered her a ride. She either accepted and willingly got into his vehicle, or possibly was grabbed and thrown in.

She appears in a family tree on Ancestry, with the attached picture of a typed page which gives a bit more information suggesting a runaway is less probable. The reference to having just bought a horse makes it seem she was settled at home. The reference to Ted Bundy's car being nearby is alarming for her safety, although I am not aware that she has been linked to him.

Attachments

• miller.jpg
    miller.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 34
A good point to match can be this: "Dentals: Three tooth dental plate on the upper left side."

Bump

Jeannette Miller

NCMC1150582c1.jpg

Missing Since - Sep 16, 1970
Missing From - Arlington, WA
DOB - Sep 14, 1953
Age Now - 65
Sex - Female
Race - White
Hair Color - Brown
Eye Color - Brown
Height - 5'1"
Weight - 105 lbs

Age Progressed

NCMC1150582e1.jpg

The picture on the right is a composite image of what Jeannette may look like at 60 years old. She was last seen on September 16, 1970. Jeannette was wearing a brown suede jacket with fringe, a long sleeve blouse, a black plaid skirt, and a gold chain belt.

Have you seen this child? JEANNETTE MILLER

Current list of exclusions for Jeannette per NamUs:
UP10929 08/19/1971 Josephine OR
(link not accessible)
UP10045 10/12/1974 Clark WA (link not accessible)
UP6259 04/22/1981 Lawrence OH (link not accessible)

UP4790 04/24/1981 Miami OH (link not accessible)
UP8398 10/16/1997 Madison AL (link not accessible)
UP6249 11/14/1980 Rockingham VA
UP6485 02/11/1982 Prince William VA (link not accessible)
UP6796 11/18/1985 Alleghany VA
UP6661
02/03/1991 Stafford VA (link not accessible)
UP8493 12/06/1993 Fairfax VA
UP6279 12/18/1996 Fairfax VA
UP8419 01/16/2001 Isle of Wight VA

UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA

She appears in a family tree on Ancestry, with the attached picture of a typed page which gives a bit more information suggesting a runaway is less probable. The reference to having just bought a horse makes it seem she was settled at home. The reference to Ted Bundy's car being nearby is alarming for her safety, although I am not aware that she has been linked to him.

I'd like to know more about Ted Bundy's car being found nearby. That's tantalizingly vague. For the record, the county name in this image is spelled wrong. It should be Snohomish, not Schomomish. I live in this county.

Jeannette was a neighbor and babysitter to my husband when he was a young boy. He tells me she was the prettiest girl he knew and when her name comes up he gets gut punch of sadness recalling how sad he was when she went missing.
My mother in law was interviewed by the FBI at the time and she feels she was a victim of Ted Bundy.
What I've been told: she wasn't shy but she would not have run away, she loved her family and they were all very close. She loved her horse, and my husband would go on long horseback rides with her.
He recalls a pipeline was being dug and buried near the bridge during the time of her disappearance. The pipeline construction workers hung around the pullout on the river where the local kids also parked and hung out.
He said she liked Volkswagen bugs, and he wouldn't be surprised if she approached Bundy at the pullout to talk to about his car. * If Bundy were there.

Hey experienced websleuths,

I came across this Jane Doe NamUs UP3794, Nolan County, Texas, found in 1994. Age, height and weight match, and she has a partial upper dental plate. It doesn’t say which side or how many teeth. She is not listed among Jeannette’s exclusions.

However, the estimated year of death is listed as 1993-1994, and they do list a hair color (brown, a match). The remains were partial skeletal parts. So my questions to the experienced folks here are, how much faith do you put in this published est. YOD? Does the fact that they know the hair color rule out a much longer PMI?

I was planning to submit this as a possible match in the Doe Network and let them make that determination, but I couldn’t find UP3794 in the Doe Network database.

To be honest, the first time I saw her photograph, I thought of Bundy. Brunette teenager, living in Washington...It's obvious why he is the first suspect that comes to our minds. He did not confess to those crimes that were "too close to home, too close to family or victims who were very young."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back