NY - Gotti's family puts up $4.5M for bail

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
For years, radio talk show host Curtis Sliwa routinely denigrated late mob boss John Gotti and his cohorts as murderers, drug dealers, degenerates. His tone was so strident, prosecutors say, that Gotti's son ordered an attack on the motormouthed founder of the Guardian Angels.

Make it personal, the younger Gotti allegedly told his gunsels.

Thirteen years after Sliwa took two bullets in a botched hit, he will finally get face-to-face with John "Junior" Gotti in a courtroom. Sliwa, who's rarely at a loss for words, was expected to testify Monday in Gotti's federal racketeering trial.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/08/21/gotti.ap/index.html

A radio host known for mouthing off against the Mafia testified Monday about how a 1992 cab ride became a botched and bloody kidnapping that prosecutors say was ordered by John A. "Junior" Gotti.

Taking the witness stand at Gotti's conspiracy trial in federal court in Manhattan, Curtis Sliwa told jurors that after hailing the cab, a masked gunman hiding in the front passenger seat "popped up like a jack-in-the-box," swore at him and began shooting.

During cross examination, Gotti's lawyer, Jeffrey Lichtman, sought to portray Sliwa as a con man who repeatedly lied to police and the media in the 1970s and 1980s to promote his Guardian Angels crime-fighting group. The witness conceded that he once concocted a story about personally fighting off a would-be rapist he described as a "6-foot-6 gorilla."

Sliwa also admitted that he made headlines by falsely claiming that police, annoyed by the Guardian Angels, had kidnapped and threatened him.

"I did a very stupid thing," he said of the episode.
http://www.wnbc.com/news/4876809/detail.html

A federal jury deliberating the case of John A. "Junior" Gotti indicated Monday that it was deadlocked on a racketeering charge against the son of the late mob boss.

Jurors, at the urging of the judge, were to resume deliberating Tuesday in federal court in Manhattan.

In a note to U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin on the seventh day of deliberations, jurors asked what they should do if they were deadlocked over the question of Gotti's so-called withdrawal defense.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1140884

The judge in the John A. "Junior" Gotti racketeering case declared a mistrial on the most serious charges Tuesday and said she was likely to grant bail to the jailed scion of the Gambino organized crime family.

After eight days of deliberations, jurors said they were hopelessly deadlocked on all but one count. They acquitted Gotti, 41, of conspiracy to commit securities fraud. That verdict will stand if there is a retrial.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/news/092005_gottimistrial_ap.html

http://www.newsday.com/news/yahoo/n...p24,0,1898258.story?coll=ny-newsaol-headlines

Gotti's family puts up $4.5M for bail

BY PATRICIA HURTADO
STAFF WRITER

September 24, 2005

What's the price of freedom?

John "Junior" Gotti on Friday offered up four properties worth about $4.5 million, including his sister's white mansion featured in the reality TV show "Growing Up Gotti," to secure his release on bail.

Gotti, 41, was on trial on racketeering, extortion, conspiracy and other charges stemming from having allegedly headed the Gambino crime family after his father was imprisoned in 1992. His lawyers argued he had "withdrawn" from the mob and retired from a life of crime.

I'd love to see him take off and they all loose their property.

And as for his sister - why on earth A&E insists on showing her show is beyond me. Why highlight this family with a tv show? The kids have tattoos of their infamous grandfather on their bodies. He was a killer for cryin' out loud! Nothing but a family of thugs....

Glamourizing a Crime Family just puzzles me. I have never watched the Gotti show on A & E. Its definitly one of those things I just dont get. :waitasec: :waitasec:

Me neither. And I've voiced my opinion to A&E numerous times. I don't watch the show either. I find it disgusting and in very poor taste.

OH I have watched the show and its like watching a train wreck.
Its like the Beverly Hill Billy's in a Long Island Mansion.
Absolutely No class what so ever.

They must be the most unruly spoiled teenagers I have ever seen.
And Victoria Gotti?? Now there is a chick with issues.
She comes off as a very unhappy person.

Cops doubt Gotti's gone legit
Few leave 'The Life' while alive, law enforcement officials say

Monday, September 26, 2005; Posted: 2:29 p.m. EDT (18:29 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- No pension, no medical benefits, no prescription plan. When you're a mob boss, retirement is more bronze casket than golden parachute.

Since the 1930s ascension of the Mafia, its leaders have departed "The Life" almost exclusively through their deaths. Albert Anastasia, Carmine Galante and "Big Paul" Castellano were brutally (and memorably) assassinated; Vito Genovese, John Gotti and "Fat Tony" Salerno died in prison.

A third, more palatable option emerged in recent years: The Witness Protection Program, for those who found relocation to Arizona preferable to interment in Queens.

But an actual mob retirement, renouncing all illegal ties and income for a shot at the straight life, is a trick rarely turned. So it's no surprise that law enforcement officials remain skeptical about John A. "Junior" Gotti's claim that he did what his father, uncles and brother-in-law could not: quit the Gambino crime family.

Defense attorneys, arguing the 41-year-old Gotti had left organized crime in the late 1990s, managed to win a hung jury in the recent racketeering case against the mob scion. The mistrial indicated at least one juror was convinced that Gotti had gone legit.

Others are not as easily swayed.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/26/quitting.mob.ap/index.html

tybee204 said:
Glamourizing a Crime Family just puzzles me. I have never watched the Gotti show on A & E. Its definitly one of those things I just dont get. :waitasec: :waitasec:

We've made the conscience effort to boycott that trash too.

tybee204 said:
I don't get it either... I've never seen the show nor do I care to.. The previews are bad enough :doh: I also don't think the mom, whats her name? is all that attractive either... If I were a man, I wouldn't want to date her..heck, I don't have to be a man, I wouldn't date her being a woman... lol

I think it is disgusting that A&E broadcasts that show. I don't watch. Didn't the Gotti family get enough fortune from their criminal activities? Does A&E really need to contribute? :sick:

JMHO

Jules said:
Me neither. And I've voiced my opinion to A&E numerous times. I don't watch the show either. I find it disgusting and in very poor taste.

That show is nothing but trash. I used to think A&E was a very credible channel, but after they started airing some of the shows they have now, I've changed my mind.

NewMom2003 said:
That show is nothing but trash. I used to think A&E was a very credible channel, but after they started airing some of the shows they have now, I've changed my mind.

I love City Confidential, American Justice, etc., but the reality stuff they are now doing is awful. As I said, I have emailed A&E a couple times about it but haven't heard anything from them.

The Gotti show though, I think, is completely over the top. I can't believe they are glorifying this family who got their money from mob dealings - who's father has murdered and ordered murders, who's brother has done the same, and who's husband (perhaps ex husband now - I can't remember) and father of her kids is in prison for the same stuff. I think it's absolutey disgusting.

I cannot digest reality shows..any of them. I watch TV to get away from reality. They embarrass me. WS is about as real as it gets for me in the way of reality entertainment...mpi

'Junior' Gotti released from prison
Mob boss under house arrest until another racketeering trial

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- John A. "Junior" Gotti, son of late mob boss John Gotti, was released from prison on $7 million bail Wednesday and began more than four months of house arrest before facing another racketeering trial early next year.

The release of Gotti, 41, who has renounced'Jun his ties with organized crime, came after jurors were unable to reach a verdict last week on charges including extortion, loan sharking and the attempted kidnapping of Curtis Sliwa, founder of the Guardian Angels civilian anti-crime group.

"I am thankful to finally be reunited with my wife and five children," Gotti, who was imprisoned for more than five years, said in a statement. "I did my time in prison and have moved on with my life. I hope and pray that everyone will try to understand that my past is behind me and to please focus on my future and what I do from here on out."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/28/gotti.son.reut/index.html

Shall we takes bets on how long it is before he ends up on A&E with his sister? :rolleyes:

Jules said:

I agree! Those kids are disrespectful, foul mouthed urchins too. I watched it once, and couldn't believe it ever made the channel lineup.

SimonSays said:
I agree! Those kids are disrespectful, foul mouthed urchins too. I watched it once, and couldn't believe it ever made the channel lineup.

I've seen the commercials for it while watching other stuff and I'd smack those kids up side their heads if they talked to me the way they do their mother. :slap:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back