Charley Project

miller_barbara.jpg
miller_barbara2.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
• Missing Since: July 1, 1989 from Milton, Pennsylvania
• Classification: Endangered Missing
• Date of Birth: April 23, 1959
• Height and Weight: 5'4, 125 pounds
• Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Light brown hair, brown eyes.

Details of Disappearance
Miller was dropped off at a bar in Milton, Pennsylvania during the morning hours of July 1, 1989. She was planning to attend the wedding of a friend later in the day and was carrying a gift, as well as her clothes for the event. She apparently attended the ceremony and was photographed there, though some accounts state that she never arrived at the wedding. Miller is believed to have returned to her home in Sunbury, Pennsylvania during the early morning hours of July 2. She resided on Penn Street with a former police detective, Joseph Walter "Mike" Egan, who reported her missing. She has never been heard from again.

Prior to Miller's disappearance, she was a police informant and provided authorities with information about drug trafficking. She had received threatening letters from people who warned him to stop talking to authorities or she would be killed. About two weeks before Miller went missing, she told investigators that the matter had been taken care of and asked them to give back the letters she'd passed on to them. It is unclear whether Miller's work as an informant or the death threats were related to her later disappearance.

Egan served time in state prison after Miller's disappearance, convicted of extortion. He initially cooperated with the authorities investigating Miller's case but later refused to meet with them. Investigators haven't said whether Egan is a suspect in her case. Miller left behind a young son. Authorities searched several mines in Augusta Township, Pennsylvania during the years following her disappearance, and searched a pond near Trevorton, Pennsylvania in 2004. She is believed to be the victim of a homicide. She was declared legally dead in the fall of 2002.

Some agencies may list July 2, 1989 as the date of Miller's disappearance, which remains unsolved.

Cold cases tops on agenda, DA says - December 22, 2015

http://www.dailyitem.com/news/cold-cases-tops-on-agenda-da-says/article_9ad10fd4-a929-11e5-8a19-0ba29d93a12d.html

Friends and family of Miller and her son, Eddie Miller Jr., 40, of Milton, are thrilled the old case will be getting a new set of eyes.

“We are thankful and grateful we are being heard,” said family friend Scott Schaeffer, 50, of Northumberland.

“We want Eddie to be able to get peace and move forward,” Schaeffer said. “I give a lot of credit to (Sunbury police) Chief (Brad) Hare and the new district attorney for listening to us.”

Sunbury police still trying to solve woman's 1989 disappearance, presumed homicide - September 2014

But the disappearance of Barbara Elizabeth Miller has had Sunbury police stumped for 25 years.

Her presumed death has been classified a homicide and the case remains open, Sunbury police Chief Bradley Hare said Thursday. But, without new information the investigation is at a dead end, he said.

The case "has haunted me forever," said Selinsgrove police Chief Thomas Garlock who was on the Sunbury force when Miller disappeared. "It's unfortunate she has been forgotten."

One of the leads it followed was an extensive a search of the abandoned zinc and lead Doughty Mines, a little more than a mile south of Sunbury near the Susquehanna River.

DNA tests of the more than 20 pieces of clothing, hats, combs and pocket change recovered from the mines came back negative, Stark said.

There was strong evidence her body was dumped in that area, he said.

Probe in 1989 cold case gets new life
Francis Scarcella 22 hrs ago
February 6, 2016

SUNBURY — A team of Northumberland County officials has formed an investigative alliance into the death of Barbara Miller, a 30-year-old Sunbury woman who vanished in 1989 and was declared dead in 2002.

[...]

District Attorney Tony Matulewicz, Coroner Jim Kelley and Detective Degg Stark will begin reviewing the case immediately.

[...]

Kelley said he contacted the district attorney’s office and Stark last week about the case.
“This is a case that is lingering, and we all want to find answers,” Kelley said.

[...]

“I said this was a case I wanted to look at, and we are,” Matulewicz said Friday. “I spoke with Degg (Stark), and we will be requesting the evidence boxes to be in the possession of the district attorney’s office for review.”

“I will not discuss details, but I can tell you we are going to be taking a long, long look at this. I want everyone to know I will be looking at every single thing in this case, and it is not something that will be solved overnight,” Matulewicz said.

Sunbury chief resurrects Barbara Miller cold case

http://www.dailyitem.com/news/sunbury-chief-resurrects-barbara-miller-cold-case/article_b57cbeb6-b1a5-11e6-b026-1be82bb3fd16.html

When Tim Miller arrived in Sunbury in July as the new chief, he said he would be reviewing several unresolved cases, including that of Barbara Miller. The police chief and the victim are not related.

Tim Miller's involvement comes about a year after a team of Northumberland County officials resolved to form an investigative alliance into Barbara Miller's disappearance and death. She was declared dead by a Northumberland County judge in 2002.

District Attorney Tony Matulewicz, Coroner Jim Kelley and Detective Degg Stark said they would begin reviewing the case back in February. Matulewicz, who won the district attorney seat last year, promised during his campaign to renew efforts in one of the county’s oldest cold cases.

The process stalled because of manpower and resources, Matulewicz said.

"I want everyone to know we are in the early stages of this and I want people to understand we will do the best we have with the time and resources we have," Matulewicz said. "We discussed what we could do. I agreed with the chief that we will begin the process of reviewing the files. We also discussed the use of Ken Mains. This case is something I did not forget about and we will begin to move the process forward."

Schaeffer, 50, of Northumberland, was convicted of first-degree murder in August 1990 for his alleged role in the drug-related murder of Ricky Wolfe, of Mifflinburg. Wolfe was found beaten to death at a boat launch near Montandon in December 1986.

Schaeffer, who faced the death penalty, was sentenced to life in prison but after 17 years evidence emerged that led a judge to believe Schaeffer deserved a new trial. Schaeffer won a new trial in 2006. After meeting with attorneys and prosecutors, a plea agreement was offered and Schaeffer was set free.

Schaeffer claims there are links between the Wolfe murder and the disappearance of Barbara Miller.

Schaeffer told authorities at the time an anonymous message was left on his answering machine at his home in Sunbury in 1989 and the caller made references to the link between Wolfe and Barbara Miller, Schaeffer said.

I hope they find out what happened and justice is served. There is also an Elizebeth Miller who was killed by her bf and didn't get justice in johnstown pa. The lawer and her dirt bag bf convinced the jury it was an accident. He stabbed her and fled without taking her to a hospital or calling 911. IT doesnt sound like an accident to me.

Sunbury chief turns to Facebook in hopes of solving 1989 cold-case homicide

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/05/sunbury_chief_turns_to_faceboo.html

Chief Timothy S. Miller Wednesday established the Barbara Miller - Cold Case Facebook page in hopes someone comes forward with information that will solve the mystery of her death. He wrote on the Facebook page:

"With the advancement of technology and the help of social media, I am hopeful that somewhere there is a shred of evidence or perhaps even someone who is living with a secret that is weighing heavily on their conscience and they are dying to tell."

The chief, who is not related to Barbara Elizabeth Miller, also wrote: "I made a promise upon accepting the job that I would review this case.

"I have discovered several things during my ongoing review that have peaked my curiosity and are leading me in a new direction.

"I will turn over all stones, dig any hole, and knock down any wall if necessary to find answers to this mystery. I believe that somewhere out there someone holds the key.

Facebook page for cold case gets 300 followers on the first day

http://www.dailyitem.com/news/local_news/facebook-page-for-cold-case-gets-followers-on-the-first/article_94f1dd39-5ba6-5c79-be3e-a4ac96c29c46.html

More than 300 "friend requests" poured in to the new Barbara Miller-Cold Case Facebook page that was set up by the Sunbury Police Department on Wednesday, Chief Tim Miller said.

The site went live at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, but due to some technical issues, Miller said it will be about a day or so until the kinks are all ironed out.

"This is a work in progress and I anticipate some changes over the next few days until we get it to where we want it," Tim Miller said Wednesday.

Tim Miller said the police department was receiving calls by 9 a.m.

"I am excited as we have already started to field calls," Miller said. "I am hopeful that those with information will come forward and not let fear stand in their way. It's time to stand up and do the right thing. Now that a great deal of time has passed perhaps it will be easier for people to come forward. Somewhere out there is a person who heard something directly from the person or persons involved. We want to speak with that person or persons. We will see what demons are out there and what skeletons begin to fall."

Facebook page generates lead on cold case, chief says

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/05/good_stuff_received_on_cold_ca.html

The Sunbury police chief says he is shocked at all the information he is getting since he created a Facebook page Wednesday in the name of a cold case homicide.

"It's good stuff," Chief Timothy S. Miller said Friday. "I think the case is 100 percent solvable."

Some of the information provided since the Barbara Miller - Cold Case Facebook page was created has come from people who had not come forward before, he said.

He already has conducted an extensive interview with one of those, he said. Those who have responded to the Facebook page appear to have good information about the 1989 disappearance of Miller, he said.

The lack of a body has hindered the investigation but Miller hinted he has gotten information that might change that.

More info here:

http://www.dailyitem.com/news/investigators-search-milton-home-for-remains-of-barbara-miller/article_eafae912-4b85-11e7-be6b-17344bfeaead.html

They are looking for Barbara's remains.

I am 15 minutes from here! I just caught the story on Facebook and jumped on here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 15 minutes from here! I just caught the story on Facebook and jumped on here!!

Being so close to the area. This is one I've never heard of.

Cadaver dogs hit on a scent in the basement. They are bringing digging supplies in!

http://wnep.com/2017/06/07/mysterious-phone-call-may-have-ties-to-cold-case-investigation/

Investigators are searching a home on North Front Street in Milton for the body of a woman who went missing 28 years ago.

Police got a tip that Barbara Miller’s body may be entombed in concrete in the basement.

"We have looked in so many places only to find out she's buried less than two miles from here,” said family member Lynne Miller.

The digging concluded for the evening, but officials say the search is not over. Because of some structural issues, it has been a very slow process. Police say they are not giving up.

"We have not found any bodies yet, but I can tell you we feel pretty good if we continue doing what we're doing, if we continue to work methodically, we believe we will find what we're looking for," said Sunbury Police Chief Tim Miller.

http://wnep.com/2017/06/07/mysterious-phone-call-may-have-ties-to-cold-case-investigation/
The digging concluded for the evening, but officials say the search is not over. Because of some structural issues, it has been a very slow process. Police say they are not giving up.

"We have not found any bodies yet, but I can tell you we feel pretty good if we continue doing what we're doing, if we continue to work methodically, we believe we will find what we're looking for," said Sunbury Police Chief Tim Miller.

I love this new chief! He's not going to let this rest. They will be back at the residence to continue deconstructing the wall at 9:00a local time (ET).

Here is how convicted felon Scott Schaeffer may be connected to this case....

Scott Schaeffer is a friend of Miller's family and has a unique connection. He never knew Barbara Miller, but in 1990, he was convicted of the first-degree murder of a man named Ricky Wolfe, a so-called "drug **** killing."

Schaeffer served 17 years behind bars, only to get a new trial in 2006. He pleaded guilty to a lesser charge in the case although he says he didn't do it. He was released from prison.

Schaeffer's connection to Miller is a mysterious phone call back in 1989. Someone called him to say Miller had evidence to clear his name.

"My girlfriend got a phone call on her answering machine saying that Barb Miller had proof that (I) didn't do it and she was going to come forward and say (I was) innocent. Shortly after that, she went missing.

and...

Since then, Schaeffer has been working to find Miller's body and her killer, trying to piece together why he was arrested for killing a man he says he never even met.

He's written a book about his case, and he's grateful to Sunbury Police Chief Tim Miller for reopening this case.

http://www.dailyitem.com/news/watch...19ac4a5c87.html#tncms-source=article-nav-next

Barbara Miller, 30, of Sunbury, went missing July 1, 1989, after attending a friend's wedding in Milton. She was reported missing by her ex-boyfriend, former Sunbury police detective Joseph Walter "Mike" Egan. Egan reported her missing on July 5, 1989, police said.

The house they are digging at is owned by Mike Egan's sister. More about where they are digging...

According to the warrant, the exterior walls are made of dirt and stone consistent with similar homes constructed in the area. But the property didn’t have a dirt basement floor. Instead, a concrete floor was installed — inconsistent with the original construction, the warrant states.

Portions of the floor appeared to have been constructed using hand mixed concrete, according to the warrant.

Chief Miller said in the warrant he observed a small room that had two interior walls made of what appeared to be thick concrete. The walls were out of place as they were the only solid concrete walls in the basement, the warrant states.

Chief Miller said what he found most odd was the installation of a stove top exhaust fan in the room that was vented out of a window at the rear of the basement.

BBM. :eek::eek:

I think they are going to find what they are looking for there, hopefully today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back