Deceased/Not Found IN - Karen Smith, 35, Indianapolis, 27 Dec 2000 *S. Halcomb Guilty*

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
It's been fifteen years since Karen Jo Smith was last seen alive. Her ex-husband was immediately a person of interest and was eventually convicted for her murder. He maintained his innocence until a few years ago when he admitted his guilt through letters. He has given information to the family on where Karen's remains are located but she still has not been found.

NamUs

Charley Project

Doe Network

3203dfin.jpg

Circumstances of Disappearance
Karen was last seen at approx. 10:30pm at her residence near the 800 block of Weghorst St. on December 27, 2000. Her son told police that Karen's ex husband, Steven Halcomb, was sitting in the living room with Karen the night she was last seen. She appeared to be in a drug-induced sleepiness. Her two children said they didn't hear any suspicious activity that night. They reported her missing the next morning when she couldn't be found and she missed an appointment later that day. Karen had felt threatened by Halcomb. He vanished the same day she was reported missing and he didn't report for work the next day. His vehicle, a 1983 light blue Ford LTD Indiana plates 95W7801, was also missing. He turned himself in on January 11, 2001 after violating parole in California. His vehicle was searched for evidence, nothing was found, and he denied involvement. Halcomb was convicted and sentenced for Karen's death in December 2004.

15 years later family continues search for missing woman

The family still has never been able to find the body of Karen Jo Smith, who would have turned 50 this year.

"We continue to search," Lee said. "We will never give up searching and it is just our hope and prayer someday the good lord above will lead us to where she is at."

Three years ago Halcomb confessed to the crime through prison letters to the family and agreed to help find her remains, Lee said.

“We focused on what he told us, but yet we’re still unable to pinpoint the exact location," Lee said.

Lee has received more information from Halcomb, and now believes his niece's body is on another piece of land close to where they searched before, but it's privately owned the owner will only let them search on a smaller scale.

Search Resumes For Body Of Woman Missing For 10 Years - April 2011

Investigators search for Karen Jo Smith's remains - November 2007

Man Convicted Of Killing Ex-Wife Gets 95 Years - January 2005

Daughter Has Message For Missing Mother - May 2001

Indy woman remains missing - February 2001

I hate that Karen has never been found! Miss you pretty lady. Fly high.

This still breaks my heart. I worked with Karen Jo. She had been seeing another guy when I worked with her. I didn't know about her ex but warned her about the new guy. She replied something to the effect "if you only knew what I have been through. I can handle it." I still think of her often.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back