GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArianeEmory

Reaction score
http://gawker.com/teen-who-killed-four-people-got-off-on-probation-becaus-1480835092

A 16-year-old boy who drunkenly killed four people got probation this week because the judge — with no apparent irony — agreed with the boy's defense that he was a victim of "affluenza," whose parents taught him wealth and privilege shield consequences. The teen had faced up to twenty years in prison.

Sixteen-year-old Ethan Couch admitted to four counts of manslaughter after he and seven other boys stole alcohol from Walmart, piled into his car and struck and killed four pedestrians while going 70 miles per hour in a 40 zone. One of his passengers remains in the hospital with severe brain damage, and nine other bystanders were also injured.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/12/10/teen-sentenced-to-probation-for-deadly-dwi-crash/

Couch’s attorneys argued his parents were responsible for the teen’s actions that night because of the way he had been raised. Defense attorneys put a psychologist on the stand who testified Couch was a product of wealth and got whatever he wanted. The psychologist also testified the teen was allowed to drink at a very young age and began driving at 13 years old. Defense attorneys argued Couch needed treatment, not jail and suggested a facility that costs almost half a million dollars a year.

Thread #1

Why 'Affluenza' Teen Ethan Couch Could Be in Mexico for Months or Back in Texas Within Days
By MATT GUTMAN and EMILY SHAPIRO
Jan 2, 2016

images

A Mexican attorney for "affluenza" teen Ethan Couch says he estimates that the 18-year-old's deportation to the United States will last "a couple of months," unless Couch decides not to fight it.

Attorney Fernando Benitez, who says he will meet Couch Tuesday morning, told ABC News that he hopes he can get Couch a hearing by early February, but added that the deportation process could take much longer.

[...]

Couch and his mother, Tonya Couch, 48, were arrested in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, Monday after U.S. Marshals and other American law enforcement agencies had been searching for them for nearly two weeks

Response to post on other thread...

I would guess the judge is not "jumping" because there are strategic reasons for not doing so, even if the excuse is "it's the holidays and s/he is taking a vacation." This thing may just take him/her 15 minutes to decide: there don't have to be significant reasons for someone to be deported from any country; this is not extradition.

Mexican authorities seemed none to pleased with Junior Twerp's attitude towards responsibility. "Stick him in the holding tank. Let him cool his heels. No need to rush."

Mexico doesn't have anything to gain by shipping him straight home. They can stick it in Trump's eye, stick it in Twerplet's, foster international cooperation with LE near and far, and have the media on its side. What's not to like?

Regardless of his accommodations, this is not a kid who has ever been locked up, lacking his freedom to come and go at will. He has no friends or family around him.

He's not liking this, and that's not all bad.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crim...res-high-profile-attorney-in-mexico/78196786/

I posted this today in the old thread right before the new thread was started. Near the end of the article it specifically states that his Mexican attorney has sent representatives to check on Ethan. Ethan told them that he hadn't experienced any harm or mistreatment while in custody. I take that to mean that money started flowing into Mexico from the get-go.

Does anyone know if he speaks any Spanish? Just because he lives in TX does not mean he does speak Spanish. A lot harder for him to be in jail...oh the guards may soeak English, but will they.

Why 'Affluenza' Teen Ethan Couch Could Be in Mexico for Months or Back in Texas Within Days
By MATT GUTMAN and EMILY SHAPIRO
Jan 2, 2016

Attorney Fernando Benitez, who says he will meet Couch Tuesday morning, told ABC News that he hopes he can get Couch a hearing by early February, but added that the deportation process could take much longer.

Benitez told ABC News that the deportation was a government attempt to run an end-around the extradition laws -- which can take more than a year. However, if Couch decides he doesn't want to do it, Benitez said he would drop the case and the deportation would proceed immediately.

In other words, he is going to be in Mexico for a long, long time, unless he decides that he wants to come back.

Does anyone know if he speaks any Spanish? Just because he lives in TX does not mean he does speak Spanish. A lot harder for him to be in jail...oh the guards may soeak English, but will they.

I believe there have been reports form locals who claimed they talked to him. Since English is not commonly spoken in Mexico, I think the conversations would have been in Spanish, or at least some combination of Spanish and English. IMHO.

The reports are conflicting. Some say he doesn’t speak Spanish. Others say it’s not clear if he speaks fluent Spanish, or not. I would guess that he speaks enough to get by.

What about the gun charge in Mexico? I don't know if Ethan had it legally or illegally or if he brought it from Texas... I just remember reading where it could pose an issue in Mexico. (I believe I read that he admitted the gun was his).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35216590
Well, Ethan's got quite an attorney. Great article.

"He has been called a rock star because of his track record in winning cases for high profile clients.

It is a label that lawyer Fernando Benitez finds amusing, but no doubt his latest client Ethan Couch will want a bit of rock star treatment to get him out of a hole."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35216590
Well, Ethan's got quite an attorney. Great article.

"He has been called a rock star because of his track record in winning cases for high profile clients.

It is a label that lawyer Fernando Benitez finds amusing, but no doubt his latest client Ethan Couch will want a bit of rock star treatment to get him out of a hole."

It sounds like his lawyer knows how to work the $ystem there. A pile of cash will get you what you want there.

The owner told ABC News that during his trip to the store, Ethan paid for chicken, using pesos, perhaps as a result of his mother's earlier failed attempt to use dollars.

The teen appears at ease in the shop, and he did not speak any Spanish but went on to say he was from Texas, the owner said.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...couchs-alleged-life-run-1st/story?id=36008867

I'm bettin' he doesn't speak English all that good. JMO. So I really doubt he speaks Spanish other than maybe a hello/goodbye. We don't even know if he has a HS diploma or GED (do we -- or did I miss that?). He was pulled out of the private school since the owner would not allow him to drive to school when he was 13 y/o. Mums announced that they would school him at home. So he prolly doesn't speak English all dat good, IMO. SMH.

But he sure does have a paracaidas dorado at 18 years old. Mmffffhhh.

In other words, he is going to be in Mexico for a long, long time, unless he decides that he wants to come back.

I'm thinking he wants a Mexican birthday party, then he'll return.

I believe there have been reports form locals who claimed they talked to him. Since English is not commonly spoken in Mexico, I think the conversations would have been in Spanish, or at least some combination of Spanish and English. IMHO.

The reports are conflicting. Some say he doesn’t speak Spanish. Others say it’s not clear if he speaks fluent Spanish, or not. I would guess that he speaks enough to get by.

I admit to being one of those lazy Americans that doesn't know how to speak another language. I've traveled extensively in other countries & never had any problem communicating. People in other countries seem to know at least a few words of English & I know a few words in their language. Between that & pantomiming, everything seems to work out ok. Not that we could ever carry on a deep philosophical conversation but basic needs & questions seem to be no great problem.

Y una cuchara de plata.......

I'm bettin' he doesn't speak English all that good. JMO. So I really doubt he speaks Spanish other than maybe a hello/goodbye. We don't even know if he has a HS diploma or GED (do we -- or did I miss that?). He was pulled out of the private school since the owner would not allow him to drive to school when he was 13 y/o. Mums announced that they would school him at home. So he prolly doesn't speak English all dat good, IMO. SMH.

But he sure does have a paracaidas dorado at 18 years old. Mmffffhhh.

Seriously, though, I still am not seeing the upside to staying in Mexico for Sofalito......

It sounds like his lawyer knows how to work the $ystem there. A pile of cash will get you what you want there.
I know, I found that article disheartening. DH's Dad used to say "There's justice for the rich and justice for the poor" and we'd get so mad because we were so idealistic, but it's true.

I'm thinking he wants a Mexican birthday party, then he'll return.

Won't matter. He'll still be facing a juvenile court judge regarding transferring his case to criminal district court.

(Emphasis added)

Sec. 51.0412. JURISDICTION OVER INCOMPLETE PROCEEDINGS. The court retains jurisdiction over a person, without regard to the age of the person, who is a respondent in an adjudication proceeding, a disposition proceeding, a proceeding to modify disposition, a proceeding for waiver of jurisdiction and transfer to criminal court under Section 54.02(a), or a motion for transfer of determinate sentence probation to an appropriate district court if:

(1) the petition or motion was filed while the respondent was younger than 18 or 19 years of age, as applicable;

(2) the proceeding is not complete before the respondent becomes 18 or 19 years of age, as applicable; and

(3) the court enters a finding in the proceeding that the prosecuting attorney exercised due diligence in an attempt to complete the proceeding before the respondent became 18 or 19 years of age, as applicable.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.51.htm

Totally crazy, that boy and his mother.
My opinion is they have a strange relationship -- I mean, what mom coddles her son and bails him out of everything like that ? As if he's still a 'baby'.

As far as Ethan wanting to stay south of the border... well, let him -- for a while. See how long his family wants to spend their money on his 'well being/living'. When the funds run out, put him in with the regular population and maybe make him stay a bit longer.

In no way will Ethan experience the suffering he has put his victims and families through. I fear there may be future victims if he's allowed to run amuck.
He seems to be living in a strange fantasy universe.
:moo:

Thanks to everyone contributing and keeping WS'ers up to date on this sad case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni