TX - Lynndie England for mistreatment of Abu Ghraib detainees, Fort Hood, 2003

tybee204

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
More at Link

FORT HOOD, Texas - Prosecutors in Pfc. Lynndie England's prison abuse case portrayed her in closing arguments Monday as an eager participant with a "sick" sense of humor, while defense attorneys described her as a weak-minded pawn trying to appease a sadistic boyfriend

A jury of Army officers was to start deliberating Monday afternoon. England, one of the most visible figures in the Abu Ghraib scandal, faces up to 11 years in prison if convicted on seven counts of conspiracy and maltreatment of detainees at the Iraq prison in 2003.

Jurors heard competing descriptions of the 22-year-old reservist from Fort Ashby, W.Va., during closing arguments.

Just once I'd like to see someone take responsibility for their own actions. If I were this girl's attorney I would have just had her throw herself on the mercy of the court and plead to some sort of battle-stress. The "she was just like a puppy" excuse does nothing for me.

Yep, I agree Jeana. The pictures I saw of her she looked nothing like a puppy. She seemed to be enjoying herself and I saw no gun pointed at her in those photos.

Breaking news on CNN.com says:

U.S. Army soldier Lynndie England is convicted of six counts in the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse case, The Associated Press reports.

No details yet....

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Unfortunately, she had a child with that other idiot. I'm not sure if its better that the child is raised by her or the person that raised the two of them?? :waitasec:

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) -- Army Pfc. Lynndie England, whose smiling poses in photos of detainee abuse at Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison made her the face of the scandal, was convicted Monday by a military jury on six of seven counts.

England, 22, was found guilty of one count of conspiracy, four counts of maltreating detainees and one count of committing an indecent act. She was acquitted on a second conspiracy count.

The jury of five male Army officers took about two hours to reach its verdict. Her case now moves into the sentencing phase, which will determined by the same jury. She faces a maximum 10 years in prison.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/09/26/prisoner.abuse.england.ap/index.html

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyid=2005-12-30T001612Z_01_KNE000801_RTRUKOC_0_US-IRAQ-ABUSE-ENGLAND.xml&rpc=22

snip

Lynndie England, the U.S. soldier incarcerated for abusing detainees in Iraq, was badly burned in a prison kitchen accident, her mother said on Thursday.
England, who was pictured holding a leash to a naked, hooded Iraqi inmate at the Abu Ghraib prison, was sentenced in September to three years for her part in the abuse scandal that sparked worldwide outrage. She is now confined to the Naval Consolidated Brig Miramar in San Diego, California.

England works in the prison's kitchen, where she suffered second- and possibly third-degree burns from being splattered with grease over her chest as she removed chickens from a tall oven, her mother, Terrie England, said in an interview.

"She was in severe pain," she said of the December 14 incident. "Everybody in the prison heard the scream."

Terrie England, who is caring for England's infant during her incarceration, faulted prison officials for not giving better treatment during a visit to the emergency room.

IdahoMom said:
Terrie England, who is caring for England's infant during her incarceration, faulted prison officials for not giving better treatment during a visit to the emergency room.

Strange: i fault Lynndie England for not removing the chickens with more care.

but there you have it. :rolleyes:

Floh said:
Strange: i fault Lynndie England for not removing the chickens with more care.

but there you have it. :rolleyes:
LOL...that was EXACTLY what I thought when I read that part!:D

Speaking here as a short person, I thought she was also short. If she was removing something from a TALL oven, I can see a problem there. Of course, this is all speculation, as I have none of the facts, just questions.

She is very short; she should have asked for a step stool or gotten a taller person to do it. I've never heard of an oven that tall, though, where you're cooking chickens. It is very hard to lift something heavy DOWN, you can easily drop it.

Hmm. Don't think she's quite "all there", and also they may want a way to get her out of prison. Second degree can heal; third degree burns are pretty bad and can scar.

Marthatex,
I have lived with a built-in oven and had to have help removing items heavier than a cake. A turkey could have been fatal, I'm afraid.
Also, I am unfortunately familiar with 2nd and 3rd degree burns, as my son was burned as a child (gasoline & matches at a neighbor's). I guess this is the reason this article caught my attention so much. Not making any excuses for anything that has happened with Ms. England.

Opie said:
Marthatex,
I have lived with a built-in oven and had to have help removing items heavier than a cake. A turkey could have been fatal, I'm afraid.
Also, I am unfortunately familiar with 2nd and 3rd degree burns, as my son was burned as a child (gasoline & matches at a neighbor's). I guess this is the reason this article caught my attention so much. Not making any excuses for anything that has happened with Ms. England.
Oh Opie...so sorry.:(

Opie said:
Marthatex,

Oh dear, I hope you don't think I was downplaying the burns. No I thinks burns are awful - my son also had 2 friends playing with gasoline and it flaired up in their faces. Luckily, by a miracle, it was second degree burns and they pretty much healed. They were so lucky. Sometimes I don't make myself clear. I was just saying that the 2nd degrees ones will probably heal pretty well, but the 3rd degree ones are pretty bad.

The article sounded like it hit her CHEST - not all over her body or her face. That's good. Of course she screamed - the pain of hot grease is awful, no matter how little -even on your hand.

I just meant I don't think she was well supervised or too smart to try to lift that down; and the family may try to use the burn incident to get her out of prison. I don't know.

I'd like to read more information. Opie, I sure hope you son is OK now, and doesn't have too much injury.

My mother was once burned while removing Chickens a Service Deli Oven, splattering hot grease down her front. She was in a lot of pain for a long time. But she is fine today.. Lynndie England will be fine soon enough to keep serving her time...

Marthatex--
My son was around 9 at the time of his injuries. He had skin grafts and recovered fine, though his legs will never look right. Now he is an adult, married, with 2 children of his own. His chief problem with his legs now is that he cannot swim in chlorinated pools, as they cause some kind of skin reaction. Pools with other types of chemicals work just fine. We were all blessed with the outcome, as it could have been so very much worse. Thank you for your concern.

Maybe it's because I live at Fort Hood, but I didn't think she or anyone should have gone to jail for the prison incidents. I've seen the devastation first hand what those SOB's in Iraq have done to our troops, and not to mention their families. None of those prisoners DIED by cowardly deeds of their "enemy". So what they were humiliated, they are alive, fed and housed. Ours that are captured don't live as well as prisoners, or are murdered. I've listened to an 8 year old explain to me how his Daddy went to heaven, I've hugged & cried with a 21 year old wife who gave birth to her first child 3 weeks before her husband was killed, I took a home off the market I listed when a wife with 4 kids found out her husband was killed from a roadside bomb, it goes on and on. This week alone Fort Hood lost 5 soldiers, one was only 20 years old, from dirty tactics. As harsh as it sounds I could care less if the Iraqi insurgents they capture are thrown in room with hungry pit bulls.
Ok...I'm ducking... :truce: who threw that 3" heel at me?

SadieMae said:
Maybe it's because I live at Fort Hood, but I didn't think she or anyone should have gone to jail for the prison incidents. I've seen the devastation first hand what those SOB's in Iraq have done to our troops, and not to mention their families. None of those prisoners DIED by cowardly deeds of their "enemy". So what they were humiliated, they are alive, fed and housed. Ours that are captured don't live as well as prisoners, or are murdered. I've listened to an 8 year old explain to me how his Daddy went to heaven, I've hugged & cried with a 21 year old wife who gave birth to her first child 3 weeks before her husband was killed, I took a home off the market I listed when a wife with 4 kids found out her husband was killed from a roadside bomb, it goes on and on. This week alone Fort Hood lost 5 soldiers, one was only 20 years old, from dirty tactics. As harsh as it sounds I could care less if the Iraqi insurgents they capture are thrown in room with hungry pit bulls.
Ok...I'm ducking... :truce: who threw that 3" heel at me?

Wasn't me, SadieMae....I agree with you. Those terrorists they "humilated" are the ones who'd like to kill all of US!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back