Match! CA - North Highlands, WhtMale 1137UMCA, 30-50, in orchard, May'80 *Joaquin Moreno*

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
Website
meettomy.site
The Doe Network:
Case File 1137UMCA

1137UMCA.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim

Unidentified White Male
  • The victim was discovered on May 5, 1980 in North Highlands, Sacramento County, California

Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: 30-50 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'23"-5'3" (63"); 136 lbs
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Hair medium in length, wavy dark brown with receding hairline and some early graying; brown eyes. A gray-brown beard and mustache.
    [*]Clothing: He was wearing a blue and black plaid flannel (or wool) shirt; a white t-shirt; "Jockey: shorts; brown corduroy pants; a belt; a red and white handkerchief protruding from his right rear pant pocket; brown loafer type shoes (with the right shoe heel worn more than the left); white socks; black belt; and light colored socks. No jewelry.
    [*]Personal Effects: Possessions found on him included: A deck of playing cards, a plastic picture folder containing religious photos, a comb, and $1.60.
    [*]Fingerprints: Not Available
  • Dentals: Not Available
  • DNA: Not Available

Case History
The victim was found lying face down in an almond orchard located several hundred yards from Antelope Road and the Southern Pacific crossing in North Highlands, California on May 7, 1980.
The victim frequently ran his dogs in this orchard.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Sacramento County Coroner's Office
916-874-9257
Email
--
Department of Justice Missing Persons DNA Program
Jeannine Willie
916-227-5997
Email

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
Agency Case Number:
80-0783
NCIC Number:
U-470018324
Source Information:
Sacramento County Coroner's Office

1) It says "The victim was discovered on May 5, 1980", but later says the body was found "on May 7, 1980".

2) No cause of death is cited - we're just told the guy was found "lying face down". Was he a victim of an opportunistic killer, or did he just drop dead from a heart attack on his morning walk?

3) He was unusually short, so that narrows it down a fair bit.

4) Moreno looks like a good possibility.

That sure looks like a match to me. Have you reported it or heard anything back?

The I Care Missing Persons Cold Cases site also has a post of a data record for the unidentified body:
http://icaremissingpersonscoldcases.yuku.com/topic/1192#.VpwSKn0rLC1
The post to ICare has an 8/25/08 posting date, and the record it copies has a 8/7/08 entry date.
I'm unclear what ICare's source is. The post refers to NamUs, but only links to a NamUs search template. Were you able to find a Unidentified Persons entry in NamUs that seemed to correspond to the "North Highlands White Male" reported by the Doe Network? (I couldn't).

The National Missing Person Directory site has an entry for Joaquin Moreno:
http://www.missingin.org/reg10850/joaquin_islas_moreno.htm
The Directory has these photos of Moreno. They look like the UID's reconstruction photo to me.

NAT_29648_1.jpg

Joaquin Islas Moreno (Approximately 31 years old) about 1972. [He went missing in 1980.]

NAT_29648_3.jpg
Joaquin Islas Moreno (Approximately 23 years old) about 1964.

The UID's reconstruction photo from the Doe Network site:

1137UMCA.jpg
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1137umca.html

Sent it in. The namus contact is Carrie, and I've never gotten a response from her when I sent possible matches in. (Or from Pamela, either.) Hopefully I'll hear about this one.

Somewhat off topic, if you'll forgive me...

I've been trying to get the lay of the land in what resources are available for missing persons and UID searches, and wanted to share a tidbit. I'd gotten some helpful photos of Joaquin Moreno (as posted earlier) from the "National Missing Person Directory". I tried to notify the site admins of KaylaraOwl's apparent match of Moreno's records to the CA-North-Highlands-WhtMale, but my e-mail to them bounced back. Taking a closer look at their site, it appears to have gone dormant in early 2014.

I tried posting a comment on Joaquin's entry on there. Maybe that will get someone's attention.

I took note of this case because of the location. DH's father used to live in that area then, but DH knew nothing about it. If you have a match, the thing to do is to call the coroner''s office listed who has the remains and ask them to test if there is DNA available from the NaMus match.
You can't expect people to take notice of something on a potentially abandoned website.

I also sent it into namus.

Nonetheless, you'll get the most direct results if you call your match into the Sacramento County Coroner's Office. They are the ones who would test the remains for the DNA match.

I took note of this case because of the location. DH's father used to live in that area then, but DH knew nothing about it. If you have a match, the thing to do is to call the coroner''s office listed who has the remains and ask them to test if there is DNA available from the NaMus match.
You can't expect people to take notice of something on a potentially abandoned website.

Thanks for that. I know that KaylaraOwl had sent a notice of her discovery of the apparent match in to NamUs. I've just sent a note to the Sacramento coroner to cover that end in case no one had earlier.

Thanks for that. I know that KaylaraOwl had sent a notice of her discovery of the apparent match in to NamUs. I've just sent a note to the Sacramento coroner to cover that end in case no one had earlier.
I'd still call and talk to someone there to make sure they saw it and that some action was taken. Won't hurt.

I'd still call and talk to someone there to make sure they saw it and that some action was taken. Won't hurt.

A good idea, but it's probably too early for reminders just yet. If I'm understand the process correctly, establishing the match would fall to the Sacramento Medical Examiner, and thus have to compete with a bunch of other tasks for that office's time and attention. I have a hard time seeing a 35 year old case like that demanding their immediate attention. Someone (Maricopa County, AZ?) apparently has DNA samples for Joaquin Moreno (the DNA page of his NamUs record says "Status: Samples submitted - Tests not complete"), so the Sacramento ME would presumably have to request those samples, get them, and then do its matching work, and only then request that NamUs take Joaquin off of the missing persons list. I'll be impressed if all that gets done by midyear.

Yeah,there are no dentals or DNA on this one, so I'm sure its going to be a while before we get any news. I found another one that I submitted who was visiting from China. Even if he was the Uid I found, there's really not much they can do with it because of the circumstances. I'll inquire in a few months to see what's up with this one.

A good idea, but it's probably too early for reminders just yet. If I'm understand the process correctly, establishing the match would fall to the Sacramento Medical Examiner, and thus have to compete with a bunch of other tasks for that office's time and attention. I have a hard time seeing a 35 year old case like that demanding their immediate attention. Someone (Maricopa County, AZ?) apparently has DNA samples for Joaquin Moreno (the DNA page of his NamUs record says "Status: Samples submitted - Tests not complete"), so the Sacramento ME would presumably have to request those samples, get them, and then do its matching work, and only then request that NamUs take Joaquin off of the missing persons list. I'll be impressed if all that gets done by midyear.

Shouldn't matter that it's 35 years old if you call and say "I think I have a match..." They should start testing right away if they have the DNA. I called on a case in Orange County that I thought I had a match on. I was told it takes 2 weeks to rule a person out, otherwise can take 6 weeks to determine a match. But they weren't willing to notify me either way because I wasn't family. So you have to hope they update NamUs more frequently than 6mo.-1year.

Bumping to make it easier to check on the UID's status on the NamUs site. As I mentioned just below, I think we can expect a fair wait till the UID's NamUs record comes down. Here's what the lead page looks like as of today:

attachment.php

Well, at least they've modified it very recently but-... no exclusions listed so noone has been ruled out. They should be listing any exclusions they've done since 2008. Have they tested nobody for a match??? I'd think Sacto. would jump at a chance to solve this one.

You'd think so, but this uid has no dentals and no DNA. That means they'd need to find him and exhume him and hope to get samples that they can use. That takes time and money that they may or may not be willing to spend.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back