NY NY - Port Jervis, Wht/poss HispFem 25-50, 878UFNY, skull on roof, prominent nose, May'06

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
The Doe Network

878UFNY.jpg
878UFNY1.jpg

Sketches of Victim

Unidentified Female

Date of Discovery: May 18, 2006
Location of Discovery: Port Jervis, Orange Co, New York
Estimated Date of Death: 1995 or earlier
State of Remains: Partial Skeletal Remains (Human cranium was revocered. Teeth are missing, as is the mandible. No other bones were recovered)
Cause of Death: Undetermined
Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Year of Birth: 1955-1965
Estimated Age: 25-50 years
Race: White
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: The nose on the female is prominent and may be helpful in identification.
Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Not available
Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: A single earring was recovered near the skull. It is described as a hoop style earring
Jewelry: None Stated
Additional Personal Items: None Stated
Case History

On May 18, 2006, a homeowner in a residential area of the City of Port Jervis observed from his rear window a human cranium on the roof of an adjacent tire business. The skull, according to the witness, was not there the evening before. The cranium was located on a metal roof of a garage building for a local tire company. The skull appeared to have been set on the sloped roof. It was sitting up right and a single hoop earring was located near the skull on the roof. Broken sea shells were also observed near by but it is unknown if they are related.
Anthropological studies on the skull indicate it belonged to a white female possible of Hispanic descent aged 25-50 years. There does not appear to be any indications of burial or submersion in water, nor is there any apparent trauma. The teeth appear to have been removed post-mortem and after the skull was skeletonized.
Port Jervis is located at the intersection of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania and is readily accessed from New York City and other metropolitan areas. Interstate 84, NY 17, US 6, US 209 and the NYS Thruway are all within close proximity or pass thru or by the city.

It seems most likely that she was murdered; no one would have any reason to hang onto a skull so long after if the person died of natural causes. Poor girl :(

What an odd place to leave a skull. But it sounds like it's too large to have been carried there by a bird.

Bumping because I had never heard of this case before. Can't find her NamUs... Shouldn't all the NY does be in the system now, since that new legislation happened?

There is one woman on doe network with a nose like this. I've seen her. I know nothing about her circumstance, but if you find her there, you will know, because he nose is very very large (not to say anything negative about her).

Checking now, will get back to you as soon as I find her.

If it helps at all, I am 99% sure that she had blonde hair, shoulder length and an 80's teased hairstyle. Either on nampn or doe.

Bumping because I had never heard of this case before. Can't find her NamUs... Shouldn't all the NY does be in the system now, since that new legislation happened?

I assume it will take some time to get everything uploaded.

Ok, this isn't the person I was searching for, but here is another MP from NY.

Kristine Kupta

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2297dfny.html

Although she went missing in 1998, not 1995, I'm wondering if it's still a possibility.

There is a lot of information out there about her, like this blog: http://kristinekupka.com/pregnant-honor-student-is-missing-family-says/

Her family basically names the killer, although I wont post that here, you can follow the link to find out more. The POI in this case has family and friends in NY/ NJ and his home is about 2 hours from the Jane Doe discovery.

I'm sorry, I can't find the other woman i'm looking for! What an annoyance. I hope this case is solved quickly!

Just my 2 cents but the placement/other aspects of the discovery of the remains sound as if the person who placed the remains on the roof considered it a sick joke. This Jane Doe might have had some sort of connection to the area & the person who knows more about what happened to her expected someone to make the connection. (Mentally ill people think like this, often when they aim to offend or hurt.)

I came across this woman there is no photo but her description says big nose. she is a little older but I just thought I would include her here

https://lostandfound.revealnews.org.../1900&end_date=12/31/1994&missingperson=12225

Norma Parkinson
View on NamUs
Date last seen
Jan. 24, 1990
Age last seen
65 years old
Sex
Female
Race
White
Ethnicity
Unsure
Nickname/Alias

Circumstances:
subject last seen at Red Roof Inn, Hamburg, NY on 1/24/1990.

City last seen
Hamburg
County last seen
Erie
State last seen
New York

Weight
130 to 130 lbs
Height
63 to 63 inches
Hair color
Brown
Head hair

Body hair

Facial hair

Left eye color
Brown
Right eye color
Brown

Scars and marks
SCAR BEHIND LEFT EAR
Tattoos

Piercings

Finger and toe nails

Other physical details
VERY POINTED NOSE

This is going to be a tough one, since there are no dentals, DNA or fingerprints available to compare with MPs. :( The killer knew what he was doing when he removed her teeth, so she'd be harder to identify...

Port Jervis Jane Doe has been unidentified for 12 years today.
I'm curious if she could ever be officially identified without DNA, dentals Or fingerprints? What happens in these situations? I know doe network always says thanks for your submission but nothing we can do with someone with zero identifiers. I've always wondered?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I'm curious if she could ever be officially identified without DNA, dentals Or fingerprints? What happens in these situations? I know doe network always says thanks for your submission but nothing we can do with someone with zero identifiers. I've always wondered?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I imagine they're mainly hoping that other parts of her remains might show up somewhere, or more advanced techniques might eventually generate usable DNA.

New York has a new law (signed Dec. 2017) to "require law enforcement to enter the most stubborn cases into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, or NamUs." Great news, although I'm sure there's a backlog getting the older ones entered. That said, there are no exclusions in NamUs for this UID as of today.

I'm wondering whether this might have been a skull that was legally obtained for educational purposes which then somehow made its way into the hands of the public. Maybe someone put it on the roof as a joke? If the skull came from a body legally donated to science, there wouldn't be a MP to match it with. I just can't think of any reason someone would "display" the skull this way if there were foul play.

As I read through the case of Beverly Mastny, I immediately thought of Port Jervis Jane Doe and thought I might as well throw her in as a suggestion. PJJD is assumed born between 1955 and 1965, though (Beverly went missing in 1953), but she was in the company of a truck driver, which could explain how she ended up in NY.

Beverly Catherine Mastny
  • beverly_catherine_mastny_1.jpg
Beverly, circa 1953
  • Missing Since09/23/1953
  • Missing FromBroadview Heights, Ohio
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Age15 years old
  • Height and Weight4'10 - 5'0, 100 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Beverly wears eyeglasses and has a prominent nose.
Details of Disappearance
Beverly was last seen in Broadview Heights, Ohio on September 23, 1953. She and a local truck driver, C.B. Lewis, registered at a Medina, Ohio hotel as a married couple that night, and she was seen walking in town the next day.

Lewis was later arrested in Texas for passing bad checks; Beverly wasn't with him at the time and she has never been heard from again. She may have been sighted in El Paso, Texas in January 1956 or 1957, but this hasn't been confirmed. Her case remains unsolved.

Beverly Catherine Mastny – The Charley Project

Beverly's WS thread:
OH - OH - Beverly Mastny, 15, Broadview Heights, 21 Sept 1953

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member