Bush Ready to Tap Oil Reserve

The oil has to be refined, though. It is refining capacity that we also get behind on.

I don't understand what the White House hoped to achieve with the President's press conference today on America's oil refinery problems in the Gulf.

The President is right that we probably have too little refinery capacity fueling the U.S. market, but the "alternative fuels" strategy he is suggesting is ad hoc and isn't serious. He suggested that he feels strongly about "nuclear" as an option. And he said, that we all need to conserve gas.

What kind of national leadership is that? If he wants to put a comprehensive energy strategy on the table -- that reaches beyond simple dependence on fossile fuels -- then maybe nuclear energy is part of that package instead of huge subsidies to the already profit rich big oil companies.

However, what exactly is the package of alternative fuel sources that his administration is willing to invest in? He said nothing about that.

It's the biggest case of denial since the release of the Grand Jury report on the Philadelphia Archdiocese. Did or did not the Bush II White House propose cutting all subsidies to public transportation including Amtrak and now he is telling people to take public transportation? Did or did he not pooh-pooh all suggestions to improve energy efficiency not just for cars but all appliances? Did or did he not suggest highway administrations at the state level build toll roads so people could go as fast as they wanted?

Until we get an administration serious about America's energy future, perhaps the President and VP could use fewer of those roaring black SUVs that race behind their limos all over Washington and wherever...

GonzoReiter said:
I don't understand what the White House hoped to achieve with the President's press conference today on America's oil refinery problems in the Gulf.

The President is right that we probably have too little refinery capacity fueling the U.S. market, but the "alternative fuels" strategy he is suggesting is ad hoc and isn't serious. He suggested that he feels strongly about "nuclear" as an option. And he said, that we all need to conserve gas.

What kind of national leadership is that? If he wants to put a comprehensive energy strategy on the table -- that reaches beyond simple dependence on fossile fuels -- then maybe nuclear energy is part of that package instead of huge subsidies to the already profit rich big oil companies.

However, what exactly is the package of alternative fuel sources that his administration is willing to invest in? He said nothing about that.

It's the biggest case of denial since the release of the Grand Jury report on the Philadelphia Archdiocese. Did or did not the Bush II White House propose cutting all subsidies to public transportation including Amtrak and now he is telling people to take public transportation? Did or did he not pooh-pooh all suggestions to improve energy efficiency not just for cars but all appliances? Did or did he not suggest highway administrations at the state level build toll roads so people could go as fast as they wanted?

Until we get an administration serious about America's energy future, perhaps the President and VP could use fewer of those roaring black SUVs that race behind their limos all over Washington and wherever...
You didn't expect him to talk about his opening Alaska to further drilling, as well as off the coast of CA, did you?? He already has Alaska well on its way. In the meantime, he's just blowing a smoke screen to divert attention and try to convince us that he has our best interests in mind. Perhaps if he draws down the U.S. oil reserves to a low enough level, he'll be able to swing enough people over to where they will think that drilling has to be allowed wherever he, and his friends, think it would be worthwhile exploring. Look what he has been able to help do to the price of oil; he's cemented a lot of very influential friendships along the way. Remember, the price of oil was over $60 a barrel before we ever heard of Katrina. and Rita.

Like you said, he is speaking out of the other side of his mouth.

Marthatex said:
The oil has to be refined, though. It is refining capacity that we also get behind on.
In order to make additional refining capacity a worthwhile investment, the price of oil needed to climb, along with the U.S. being able to up its oil output. With additional drilling in Alaska, that will begin to happen. Of course, in the meantime, they aren't going to do anything that will cause the price of oil, or gasoline, to fall substantially; that would be the last thing they would want to happen.

The administration opted, in the energy bill recently passed, to not impose higher mileage standards for automakers.

Instead, we hear, "Let's all pitch in". "Don't go on that trip if you don't have to".

Right. I'm cancelling my airline reservations now that I made two months ago.

So would we rather impose on the automakers, with incentives of course, to make better cars? Or would we rather "all pitch in"?

The newspapers all emphasize that Bush is an "oil man" and understands these things. Didn't his oil company go South?

Even more concerning is the price of natural gas, which has climbed even more than gasoline recently. From the New York Times: "Households are on pace to spend an average of $4500 on energy this year, up about $500 from last year and $900 more than 2003."

Yes, we're set to drill in Alaska and along the gulf, but oil from Alaska may not be that much. we definitely need a strong energy and conservation policy. We live a delicate balance every day.

Marthatex said:
The administration opted, in the energy bill recently passed, to not impose higher mileage standards for automakers.

Instead, we hear, "Let's all pitch in". "Don't go on that trip if you don't have to".

Right. I'm cancelling my airline reservations now that I made two months ago.

So would we rather impose on the automakers, with incentives of course, to make better cars? Or would we rather "all pitch in"?

The newspapers all emphasize that Bush is an "oil man" and understands these things. Didn't his oil company go South?

Even more concerning is the price of natural gas, which has climbed even more than gasoline recently. From the New York Times: "Households are on pace to spend an average of $4500 on energy this year, up about $500 from last year and $900 more than 2003."

Yes, we're set to drill in Alaska and along the gulf, but oil from Alaska may not be that much. we definitely need a strong energy and conservation policy. We live a delicate balance every day.
The energy bill, as passed, had a huge amount of pork barrel spending in it. Perhaps now, due to the financial concerns, brought on by Katrina, and Rita, they will rescind much of the unnecessary spending that was part of the bill. Yes, The U.S. needs a strong energy policy, but it seems to be mostly all talk, and very little, if any, action. Yes, the price of natural gas is very much a problem, and I'm very thankful that I don't live in a cold winter climate.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back