France - French Alps avalanche hits schoolchildren; 3 dead, others missing

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35303921
_87693733_87693732.jpg
Five more members out of a group of 10 pupils from Lyon are reportedly still missing.

Several pupils were found in a state of cardiac arrest and their teacher was found unconscious, reports said.

The avalanche struck the group, their teacher and the Ukrainian on a closed piste in the Les Deux Alpes area.

More than 60 rescuers with dogs assisted by four helicopters are on the scene

How scary!!!!

I pray there are no more casualties. :(

I wonder if the students parents knew the teacher was going to take the kids to ski in a closed off area?

I'm not sure about where this happened, but my experience in Europe with skiing, is its nothing like in the US. It was much more beautiful, but scary because it isn't groomed like I'm used to here. I pray for safety and recovery for those involved.

How tragic.

I wonder if the trail being closed was well marked. I can't imagine a teacher doing something so irresponsible, so maybe there is a reasonable explanation.

If this wasn't a misunderstanding of some kind, that teacher is going to be in a world of trouble, assuming he/she survives. Having multiple deaths of students in one's care on one's conscience would be a living hell.

Guardian:

French Alps avalanche: three dead after schoolchildren engulfed on closed piste
Rescue under way in Les Deux Alpes after avalanche kills two French students and Ukranian skier

---
Two children were killed – including a 14-year-old – among a group of ten experienced young skiers on a high-school outing from Lyon with their teacher. A Ukrainian skier who wasn’t linked to the group was also found dead.

At least two other members of the school group were found in a state of cardiac arrest and the teacher was found with multiple injuries. They were transferred to a hospital in Grenoble.
---
Since the start of January, four people have been killed in avalanches in France, including two Lithuanians, a Spaniard and a Czech skier.

The avalanche risk in the area remains at level 4 of 5.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back