TX TX - Mesquite, WhtMale 24-26, 39UMTX, hit by car, red guitar, moccasin boots, dog?, Jun'77

Lostindetroit

Reaction score
I thought the case similarities were worth a post...

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/39umtx.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 39UMTX

Unidentified White Male

Located on June 3, 1977 in Mesquite, Dallas County, Texas.
Cause of death was injury due to vehicle / pedestrian accident.
The victim died the same day he was located.
Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 20-30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8-5'10"; 160-170 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown hair and brown eyes. He had an enlarged heart and may have been suffered from heart murmurs during his life.
Clothing: He was wearing a tan print t-shirt; blue jeans; and brown moccasin-style shoes. The victim was carrying a reddish-colored guitar.
Fingerprints: Available
Other: He may have been traveling through Texas with a dog.
Case History
The victim was struck and killed by a car.

Even though the weight and the area are off, both are believed to be carrying a guitar, have similar hairstyles and possible eyecolor. I think its worth a look....

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14152/3/

William J. Shields

Above Images: Shields
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: June 1977 from Chicago, Cook County, Illinois
Classification: Missing
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 100-150 lbs.
Hair Color: Blond
Eye Color: N/A
Race: White
Distinguishing Characteristics: Sometimes wore a mustache.
AKA: Billy
Case Number: HS467346
Details of Disappearance
William Shields was last seen in Chicago, Illinois in approximately June 1977.

William was on presribed medication but left without it. He may have been carrying a guitar, William loved playing guitars and may prioritize a guitar even over extra clothing.

Not only that but the UD has not been entered into Namus There is no DNA on the UD. The Caladonia case comes to mind. Tammy was a long way from home like he could have been.

Have you been in contact with either Investigating Agency? If not I urge you to do so.
Thank you. I couldn't seem to find anything before 78. Being only fingerprints for the UID and DNA for the MP could this, if it is a match, been possibly overlooked? William Sheilds last seen date is approximate and the dates are so close...

I agree with bbbd4u and recommend contacting both agencies with the possible match.

I agree with bbbd4u and recommend contacting both agencies with the possible match.

Thank you guys. I've been watching, looking and posting a long time but have never contacted any agencies. I have never had a feeling strong enough to feel like I should till now. Any advice on proper procedure would be helpful, or anyone from either area, or knowledge of anyone in said offices. Constructive criticism is always helpful. There are some definite differences in weight and location but the MP time of disappearance is approximate and the picture and sketch are so similar in the side parted hairstyle.

Thanks for your advice guys!

I agree with others that you should contact relevant parties with this possible match.

Also, something stood out to me. UID had an enlarged heart, and may have had a heart murmur. William is said to have been on prescription medication. You wouldn't typically take medication to treat a heart murmur, but he could have been taking something to treat an underlying or related condition. Wonder if it is possible to find out what he was taking meds for.

I have contacted Jason Moran the NamUs case manager and he told me to get in contact with the Dallas Count ME office. He said that no DNA hit has ever came back or he would have been notified. I have left a message on an answering machine with the ME's office in regards to what NamUs case I was referencing. I will keep you all posted when I hear back from the ME. I know it can be nerve wracking contacting agencies and I have had some experience doing so. Hopefully your find will be able to bring closure for some family.
Thank you guys. I've been watching, looking and posting a long time but have never contacted any agencies. I have never had a feeling strong enough to feel like I should till now. Any advice on proper procedure would be helpful, or anyone from either area, or knowledge of anyone in said offices. Constructive criticism is always helpful. There are some definite differences in weight and location but the MP time of disappearance is approximate and the picture and sketch are so similar in the side parted hairstyle.

Thanks for your advice guys!

The PM photo for this John Doe is in the book Forensic Art and Illustration by Karen Taylor. So from that, I was able to create my own PM photo of 1977 Mesquite John Doe.

78f0e910-c087-412c-b2ed-39efe12d790d.jpg

I agree with others that you should contact relevant parties with this possible match.

Also, something stood out to me. UID had an enlarged heart, and may have had a heart murmur. William is said to have been on prescription medication. You wouldn't typically take medication to treat a heart murmur, but he could have been taking something to treat an underlying or related condition. Wonder if it is possible to find out what he was taking meds for.

They Mayo Clinic website lists half a dozen medications he could have been taking for whatever condition caused his enlarged heart. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/enlarged-heart/basics/treatment/con-20034346

There is post mortem photo of this UID on Porchlight with some additional info from 2006 which I do not see mentioned on his Namus or Doe net profiles. Link of the source provided there either timed out or just not opening for me.

* No scars or tattoos, uncircumcised
* Blood type A+
* Moustache, natural teeth

Victim was fatally struck by automobile while walking on I-635 in Mesquite, Texas on June 3, 1977.

Warning: Post Mortem photo at the link (scroll a bit)

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightUSA/index.php?showtopic=794

I want to know more about the guitar. Would the police announce more details of it? Since it is not a criminal investigation and releasing details wouldn't jeopardize it, it seems possible.

The only description of it calls it "reddish colored". What brand was it? Even if, for some reason, the brand was unknown, the picture could be distributed through Imgur, Facebook, etc. And the Internet is chock full of musical aficionados: perhaps, if the photo of it was posted to some such forum, a user could provide more details about it. Its years of production, its cost, etc. I am also wondering about if it had a serial number. Through a serial number, perhaps it could be traceable.

Studying Carl's recon and the post-mortem photo, with completely non-professional eyes, I'm estimating the guy to have been about 34. He doesn't look 20 or 40 to me personally, although I wouldn't see that as a reason to rule out a good possible match.

I imagine him as a soft-spoken guy who was plagued by his health issues and wanted to lift himself as a burden from his family. I wonder if he had perhaps left a note explaining his departure with a request to not file him as missing. I don't think he was necessarily planning on committing suicide (and I'm not trying to imply his death was a suicide, it sure seems like an accident) but he just wanted to wander around until "the end".

I agree about the guitar. I might cautiously extrapolate that since he was apparently traveling when he had this accident, it was probably an acoustic guitar, because people seldom carry electrics while they're hitching rides. Could be, though. And was it red wood, in which case it could have been quite expensive, or just red varnish, in which case it could be a $40 Sears model like the one I used to own?

I agree about the guitar. I might cautiously extrapolate that since he was apparently traveling when he had this accident, it was probably an acoustic guitar, because people seldom carry electrics while they're hitching rides. Could be, though. And was it red wood, in which case it could have been quite expensive, or just red varnish, in which case it could be a $40 Sears model like the one I used to own?

Yeah, I'll have to lean towards acoustic, too. A guy carrying around an acoustic guitar and traveling sounds more practical than lugging around an electric guitar, especially with a canine companion.

His clothing doesn't sound at all distinctive (maybe the moccasins would be, but according to my 47-year-old mother, everyone wore them then). With Fond Du Lac County Jane Doe, her clothing wasn't particularly distinctive, yet it was traced in good detail.
It might be worth tracing back to see when and where it was distributed. It's been a long time, though, so I don't really know if that would be possible. I'm being too hopeful, probably.

Still, it might be worth at least finding out the brands of the clothes. It might be some sort of indicator of what financial state he was in when he bought it (although, of course, people with high income can still shop at Wal-Mart, and people with low income can still shop at Prada. We just don't have much to go on, and we need something to grip onto). I would also like to know the sizes, and how well the items fit him; had he lost a lot of weight recently? Possibly gained some?

What condition were his hands and feet in? Had he possibly been a laborer, or perhaps someone working odd jobs for a bit of cash to sustain himself? Did he have calluses on his hands and feet? (Although that might not mean anything--I am really un-athletic, and live a decidedly sedentary lifestyle, and I have had this thin but wide callus on my hand since I was about 9.) Had he had access to fingernail and toenail clippers recently?

Also, was the collision reported by the driver? I know it was an accident and am not trying to imply that I think it was murder, I was just wondering exactly how quickly he had been left there.

You do ask the best questions.

Do you want to call/write/email to see if you can get any answers?

You do ask the best questions.

Do you want to call/write/email to see if you can get any answers?

Thanks!

Last night I typed up an email that contains 15 questions, and it's neat and completed, but it's just sitting there, because I can't find the email information for the Mesquite Police Department or the Dallas County Medical Examiner. I've had the worst of luck with phone calls (i.e. they never answer my carefully worded voice messages), so I won't even go there.

I could send a letter (they have a PO box) but I don't think snail mail would be terribly effective. LOL. But if anyone can dig up the email address, I'll send the email. Something about this poor guys' case grabs at me, even though it's not the type of case I'm usually most interested in.

It is not a direct email but maybe if no other can be found these could be worth a shot?
The HR for that police department lists an email- careers@cityofmesquite.com and the local library mainbr@cityofmesquite.com

Surely if there is an address to contact the department, they would know?

Thanks--I sent the email to both of the addresses and lumped the 16 questions into 5 longer questions. Before the questions, I added that the email was intended for the Mesquite police department and asked to please forward if email address was wrong.

Clever idea.

I don't make phone calls either. I have hearing issues and it's a struggle, unfortunately. But sometimes I've had luck calling the LE information number and asking for email contact information for the detective or examiner in charge of the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back