LA LA - Eugenie Boisfontaine, 34, Baton Rouge, 13 June 1997 - "Killing Fields"

The series covers in real time, the cold case investigation of the murder of Eugenie Boisfontaine, who has been considered a possible victim of Baton Rouge serial killer Derrick Todd Lee. Some background:

Serial killer fear stalks the bayous
Saturday 17 August 2002 23.41 EDT
The Guardian

The unsolved murders of 37 women are causing panic in the slow and sweaty capital of Louisiana, writes Ed Vulliamy in Baton Rouge

Fear hangs heavy in the putrid air over the bayou during this season of sweat. Home-made notices pinned to trees across town advise: 'Killer on the loose'.
[...]

Trust has been suspended. Women have given up walking, shopping or jogging alone. They have flocked to buy guns and learn how to use them. They make sure their mobile phones are charged and they have ample Mace pepper spray on hand.

Their nightmare started when police confirmed that in the past 10 months a serial killer persuaded three attractive, middle-class women to open their doors to him. Two were found dead in their homes and a third was abducted, then killed.

When police chief Pat Englade - his neck wider than his head - tersely announced what the 230,000 citizens of Baton Rouge regarded as obvious, he avoided the phrase 'serial killer'. But he confirmed that DNA matches showed that one man had killed the three women.

[...]

Connie Warner was the first to be killed, in 1992. She was a professional, as was Eugenie Boisfontaine, murdered in 1997. Boisfontaine lived a block away from Green and Pace. Hardee Schmidt, another attractive middle-class woman, was killed in 1999.
Cold Case Reopened: Tests to see if serial killer link exists
Adam Causey, Chief Staff Writer - LSU Reveille
Mar 17, 2004

Investigators are re-examining evidence from the 1997 murder of a University student to see if there is a connection to accused serial killer Derrick Todd Lee.

Eugenie Boisfontaine, a 34-year-old graduate student, was found in Bayou Manchac -- south of East Baton Rouge Parish -- in Iberville Parish in August 1997.

Boisfontaine apparently had been kidnapped while walking or jogging around the University lakes. Her body was decomposed, and her skull was fractured.

Forensic scientists used dental records to identify Boisfontaine. Authorities have said they did not have the capabilities to identify Boisfontaine using DNA evidence in 1997.

The Iberville Parish Sheriff's Office gave evidence to the State Police Crime Lab in 2002 for DNA analysis, but no links to other murders were found.

[...]

Boisfontaine was last seen June 13, 1997 by an exterminator at her home. A jogger found her driver's license and credit cards the next day near the University lakes.

Police searching the area found Boisfontaine's keys in the same area three days later.

Boisfontaine, who resided at 2009 Stanford Ave. at the time of her death, lived in close proximity to two victims who have been linked through DNA to Lee, though each of the murders took place in different years.
Eugenie Boisfontaine: Eugenie Boisfontaine disappeared June 13, 1997 from either her home on Stanford Avenue in Baton Rouge or from the LSU lakes where she sometimes liked to take walks. A visiting professor found her credit cards aligned in a circle near the lakes on June 14. Her body was discovered August 7 in Bayou Manchac near the Alligator Bayou Bar.

She had died from a skull fracture resulting from a beating. Although she had never been officially linked, many investigators feel that the location of her home indicates that she was Derrick Todd Lee’s first victim from Stanford Avenue. Eugenie was a white woman with brown, highlighted hair, a beautiful smile and high, pronounced cheekbones. She was 34 years old.
http://susanmustafa.com/derek-todd-lees-victims/

Iberville Parish Sheriff's Office reopens 20-year-old cold case
Posted: Oct 06, 2015 10:46 PM CDT - Updated: Oct 07, 2015 12:00 AM
By Elizabeth Vowell WAFB-9

[...]

Two months after she went missing, her body was found in Bayou Manchac in Iberville Parish. She died of blunt force trauma to the head.

Leads in her case soon turned cold. A few years later, when convicted serial killer Derrek Todd Lee was stalking the Metro area, many suspected Boisfontaine could have been one of his early victims. However, that theory was never proven.

Two decades later, new technology and a new ally have given the old case new life.

"We've picked up some new leads," Sheriff Brett Stassi said. "We've developed some new evidence that wasn't available at the original autopsy. We're moving forward with that information."

The Iberville Parish Sheriff's Office has teamed up with the Discovery Channel, which has opened the door to new resources like sonar and advanced DNA testing. In turn, the case will be featured in an upcoming new television series.

http://criminalminds.wikia.com/wiki/Derrick_Todd_Lee

https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...sMAM#v=onepage&q=eugenie boisfontaine&f=false

Reviews:

KILLING FIELDS on Discovery Preview: Cold Case Series Gets Hot in Louisiana (VIDEO)
January 4, 2016 by Paula Duffy

True crime drama, investigated in real time. A cold case from 1997 brought back to life in 2015.
That is all true about KILLING FIELDS, Discovery’s new series. It’s a first for the network and it takes a look at an active criminal case in Iberville Parish, Louisiana, investigated and filmed in real-time.

The season premieres Tuesday January 5 at 10 p.m. and combines the feel of a scripted drama series with the gritty realism of a documentary feature.

It’s no wonder with the creative team behind it.

continued at the link
More reviews

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-killing-fields-review-20160105-column.html

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/132...isfontaine-case-from-1997-exclusive-video.htm

I missed the first airing but happened upon it this afternoon when deperately in search of anything non Trump related. I really liked it and can hardly wait for the next episode.

The first episode was good. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.

I agree. I liked the first episode as well. Will tune in for others.

I loved the first episode. It reminds me of the first season of True Detective, combined with Making A Murderer.

I have started watching that series. Pretty good but a bit too slow moving at times.

My cousin was a friend and sorority sister of Eugenie. That is how I heard of this show.

I DVR it and watch the next day so I can go through commercials.

There have only been two episodes shown, so it is not too late to jump in.

Spoiler: DNA ruled out Derrick Todd Lee, so she is not a victim of the Baton Rouge serial killer.

Two photos:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 65
Iberville detectives on TV show 'Killing Fields' say drive to solve cold-case homicide very real, with some twists
Terry L. Jones| tjones@theadvocate.com
Jan. 11, 2016; 4:55 p.m.

[...]
Although she was killed almost two decades ago, Boisfontaine’s case has popped back into the news from time to time. This was particularly true around 2002, when law enforcement in the Baton Rouge area were focused on finding a serial killer who preyed on women. Eventually, law enforcement would conclude the region was targeted by three suspected serial killers.

The name of convicted serial killer Derrick Todd Lee, whose DNA was linked to the deaths of at least seven women, was one of the first names that popped up when the Iberville Parish Sheriff’s Office in August reopened Boisfontaine’s case as filming got underway.

Two of Lee’s victims lived only blocks from Boisfontaine.
But Lee’s name was quickly scratched off as a suspect. Lab testing on fragments of Boisfontaine’s underwear picked up multiple DNA strains from at least three different males, none of them matching Lee’s profile.

[...]
Hebert said no one has ever been arrested in connection to Boisfontaine’s case. But viewers will get to see his deputies interrogating several “persons of interest” in the show’s second episode Tuesday.

When pressed about whether the show will finally bring closure to the unsolved mystery when it concludes its six-episode run, Hebert responded, “You’ll have to watch to find out.”

The show’s producer, Joseph Schneier, says Hebert isn’t being coy, they just don’t know yet if Boisfontaine’s killer will be caught since the show is still filming and the investigation remains ongoing.

“We’re working toward an ending; we want that closure to happen on camera,” Schneier said. “That’s what’s neat about getting a case back in the media like this. Someone knows something. The more you talk about it in the media, the more people will come forward.”

I've merged the thread that was opened in the Jury Room with this one.

There have only been two episodes shown, so it is not too late to jump in.

Spoiler: DNA ruled out Derrick Todd Lee, so she is not a victim of the Baton Rouge serial killer.

I watched the first 2. I wonder if the detective might be wrong about the location of the abduction site at the lake (just a thought), that maybe her personal belongings found there were dumped there later/red herring or maybe thrown from a vehicle or jogger....iirc this location is 7 miles away from where Eugenia's body was found...just a thought that struck me as I was watching it...

Today in little Noah's case I mentioned land surveyers, etc as possibly being able to help in case he fell into a sinkhole...this thought came to my mind immediately because of just seeing them using that surveying company iirc, Aqua something?, to look for the possible weapon (we'll see if that rusty shackle thing is really the one)...

Thanks, Bessie! I had done a search and didn't find a thread; thanks for the merge.

Yeah, I also think she probably wasn't abducted from the lake, but that her purse was dumped later. Also, I'm not seeing the shackle as the weapon, but we will have to see...

Thanks, Bessie! I had done a search and didn't find a thread; thanks for the merge.

Yeah, I also think she probably wasn't abducted from the lake, but that her purse was dumped later. Also, I'm not seeing the shackle as the weapon, but we will have to see...
You're welcome. Hopefully, by the end of the series, we can move this thread to Resolved Cold Cases. :crossfingers:

I'm glad you're enjoying the show. So far I'm pleased, but being a NOLA/SELA native, I'm biased.

I'm curious about why you guys think Eugenie wasn't abducted near the lake. She was known to walk or jog along there. And other women have been attacked by the lake, even back then it wasn't unheard of. Robin Gremillion's body was found IN the LSU lake in 2000. So it's definitely plausible.

Is it because the second episode mentioned a possible new flame? And a possible date at the Alligator Bayou Bar?

Regarding the chain link, or whatever it is, from the brief scene where it's compared to the wound, I wouldn't rule it out just yet, myself.

For Margarita, the distance from the lake to Bayou Manchac is around 15 miles, give or take.

It's hard for me to imagine that she was attacked and all her credit cards and id fell out in one spot.

Unless I missed something and a whole purse was found, car/house keys, etc.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back