Canada - Four killed, 7 injured in shootings, La Loche, Sask, 22 Jan 2016

Ellie9

Reaction score
This tweet was posted within article from OP

Devin Heroux (@Devin_Heroux) tweeted at 1:05pm - 22 Jan 16:

RCMP just sending out this release about "serious incident" in La Loche. Active and ongoing incident. @CBCSask
pic.twitter.com/h5gkXfI2X7
47a09b8c3cc24e61ab9203b9022ec729.jpg

https://twitter.com/Devin_Heroux/status/690641468432760832?s=17

:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Official statement from Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall:

"Words cannot express my shock and sorrow at the horrific events today in La Loche. My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims, their families and friends and all the people of the community.

Thank you to the RCMP and all the emergency personnel who responded quickly to the shootings. Saskatchewan Education and Social Services will be available to provide all necessary crisis support and counselling services to the school and the community."

On Twitter I am seeing multiple reports of "two dead" but I cannot find a verifiable news source, so I won't post until I find that information. Edit: I found at least one news source stating that two individuals are deceased:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/dead-la-loche-canada-school-shooting-article-1.2506479

two dead???

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-shooting-idUSKCN0V02KT

At least two dead, suspect held in Canada school shooting: report

At least two people were killed in a shooting at a school in remote La Loche, Saskatchewan, on Friday and a suspect is in custody, the Star Phoenix newspaper reported, citing a local aboriginal chief.

Canadian police declined to confirm to Reuters that there was a shooting, but said they were on scene for a serious incident.

A hospital nurse said a number of people were being treated for gunshot wounds, CBC News reported. The La Loche Health Centre and Hospital declined to comment when contacted by Reuters.

:rose: :rose:

:candle:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

La Loche population only around 2600+ .. hope their hospital is able to deal with an incident of this nature.

Have CBC on ... reports 2 dead, air ambulance has been dispatched

reporter says "that number could change" (but not sure if that's his own opinion or due to inside knowledge)

Reportedly the suspect is in custody.

About the school: "The school provides a prekindergarten to grade 12 education and houses about 900 students in two buildings."

The incident started in a place called the "Dene Building." The way articles have been worded imply that perhaps the shooter never moved from the Dene Building.

source: [video=cnn;world/2016/01/22/saskatchewan-la-loche-school-shooting-canada-qmb.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/22/americas/saskatchewan-la-loche-school-shooting-canada/index.html[/video]

Weird re the suspect in custody .. they're still saying school is on lockdown.

CBC reporting that PM Trudeau in Switzerland but will be speaking on the matter momentarily.

Just wanted to add, many people on social media are saying that this is a rare and unexpected event for Canada, and I agree. This is highly unusual for Canada and for this region of Canada, as well. Gun laws are strict here, and there seems to be less 'rampage' incidents here for a variety of reasons. So an event like this stands out, and is incredibly shocking.

RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulsen has advised PM there are 5 fatalities. :(

no link > CTV coverage of PM speaking

Yes PM Trudeau said five are dead. I can't find another source. I can only hope he misspoke and it remains two. :(

ETA: dotr posted a source below. I think the number of fatalities may indeed be five now. This is very sad, especially for such a small community.

This is so sad.... and being Canadian, and from Saskatchewan, I can't count how many times I or someone I know has said "thank goodness those things don't happen here". How terrible for that community and those families, all involved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back