AZ - 6 Arizona Students Used School Spirit T-Shirts to Spell Out the "N" Word

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
CZWTxbEW0AQ2Hh0.jpg

Phoenix, Arizona -
In what can only be described as the most offensive game of Boggle to ever take place, six students who took part in Desert Vista High School's senior photo shoot to spell out "Best * You've * Ever * Seen * Class* Of * 2016" rearranged the letters after the photo shoot to spell out "Ni**er," Phoenix local affiliate ABC 15 reported.

According to ABC15, parents contacted the local station once the photo was making rounds on social media.

In an official statement from superintendent Kenneth R. Baca, the school official called the event "unacceptable."

"We need to understand that words matter," Baca said. "I can assure you that appropriate disciplinary action will be taken."

Desert Vista principal Christina Barela added she shared the "outrage and disappointment" over the photo in a letter to parents, as well.

https://twitter.com/abc15/status/690620751506972672/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

http://news.yahoo.com/6-arizona-students-used-school-184400346.html

Sad thing is that this type of thinking doesn't happen in a vacuum. What do you want to bet their parents blame the school and (parents who reported this)for being too "PC"?

"Several police units arrived"? Have we lost our minds?

Those girls have no idea what that word really means, and the implications. I'm 56 years old, I know very well what that word invokes for people my age. It's a horrible word, and from the time I was 8 until now no one I know uses that word, who is my age. Young people do, as an affectionate term which is bizarre to me.

Is it a positive thing to let this next generation know the horrors of that slur? I'm not sure. They seem to be using it with each other as a joke. What I am sure of, is that several police cars don't need to arrive at a school when kids are trying to be edgy and clever.

Those girls have no idea what that word really means, and the implications.

I don't buy that for a second. Do you have a source? (Not that I'd believe the girls anyhow. I think it's more likely that they didn't care one bit about the implications, or who it offended. They are HIGH SCHOOL students.

Perhaps these students need more history lessons this coming month. OMG. Yes they hear it in hip hop and rap, but that doesn't make it any less acceptable. Respect.

I don't buy that for a second. Do you have a source? (Not that I'd believe the girls anyhow. I think it's more likely that they didn't care one bit about the implications, or who it offended. They are HIGH SCHOOL students.

A source for an opinion?

This is a problem when we see this through our knowing eyes. Apparently the story is, one of the girls has a Black boyfriend, who set this up as a funny edgy post on social media. It's a bit like recoiling in horror when a 5 year old shoots the finger at you. The kid has no real idea, except it gets a rise out of people.

That a young black man thought that was funny, is very telling. He has no idea, and for that we should all be eternally grateful. The young of this generation aren't experiencing what we have experienced. And that's a good thing.

We have bigger issues than just getting them more education. IMHO.

These young girls should have known better. The young man who took the picture should have known better. In fact, they did know better. Not one person can convince me that these young people don't know the meaning of that word and the implications of using that word.

And before we bring "rap" music into this. There are a lot of black people who are against it being used as a term of endearment. The youth trying to desensitize the word is not working and it never will. It just gives racists an excuse to use it more openly and blame it on rap music.

I do believe the 5 day suspension is enough since this took place on school grounds. How their futures are effected by this is their own fault. They are old enough to know better. Shame on the boyfriend for even thinking this was okay. His parents need to sit him down and have a very long talk with him about that word. He's going to be in for a rude awakening once he gets out in the real world and someone calls him that word and actually means it.

Oh please, any teenager knows how loaded the word is. Maybe they think it is "cool" to use it anyway but they know. This "prank" or whatever the hell it was is just ugly. These girls are jerks. I hope it affecs their futures. Jmo

A source for an opinion?

It was not stated as an opinion -- there was no 'it seems to me,' 'I believe,' 'I think,' etc. It was stated as a fact, so it's fair to ask for a source.

But even if it was an opinion...in my opinion, it was a totally (and likely willfully) naive opinion that was offered to excuse the girls of being racist, and exposing that racism still thrives in the USA, something that many people wish to deny.

Yeah, and they even used asterisks. Weird.

This is a problem when we see this through our knowing eyes. Apparently the story is, one of the girls has a Black boyfriend, who set this up as a funny edgy post on social media. It's a bit like recoiling in horror when a 5 year old shoots the finger at you. The kid has no real idea, except it gets a rise out of people.

That a young black man thought that was funny, is very telling. He has no idea, and for that we should all be eternally grateful. The young of this generation aren't experiencing what we have experienced. And that's a good thing.

I'm not so sure he has "no idea" unless he lives in a rarified environment or a bubble. My guess is that he knows and has had experience with racism even if it was delivered in a joking way by friends.
I'm curious why most media sites have blurred the faces of the girls but left the word visible.
IMO

It's in bad taste, but to high school students, black and white, that are friends with each other, it was probably funny to them.
They may have used the shirts to spell out other words that were also distasteful.
Teenagers make bad choices. Remember the frat house that had the banner up to drop off your daughters (and mothers) here. Many thought that was horrible.
I don't particularly agree with either, yet at the same time, is it really that big a deal?
As I have been a teen and the parent of a teen, I can say as fact, they make bad choices.
All MOO, and I realize that to some, this is a hugely big deal.

(This guy is a real piece of work.)

'I'm really *advertiser censored**ing sorry': NAACP leader, 77, issues foul-mouthed apology after telling a reporter she had 'nice t*ts

Don Harris had been asked to resign after he told 12 News reporter Monique Griego she had 'nice t*ts

He told the Phoenix News Times he was 'really *advertiser censored**ing sorry'

He added: 'I'm going to slash my wrists. Better yet, I'm going to throw myself out of a *advertiser censored**ing window, except I'm on the first floor'

Harris made the comment about Griego after she interviewed him about a racist incident at a Phoenix high school

Students at Desert Vista High School had worn T-shirts spelling out the word 'N****r'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...apology-rant-telling-reporter-nice-t-ts.html#

OK, after previous post, looks like old men do stupid things too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back