Retired WS Staff
Reaction score

Mother, two daughters found dead at Iona Lakes residence

Jan 25, 2016
9724565_G.jpg

Jeanne
9726430_G.jpg

Montana

A 27-year-old man is behind bars after a mother, her two daughters, and a family dog were found dead over the weekend at an Iona Lakes apartment.

Lee County Sheriff's Office deputies said Tammy Modlin, 37, and her 16-year-old daughter, Montana, were found in a master bedroom with fatal gunshot wounds. The young girl, Jeanne, and the dog were found stabbed to death elsewhere in the residence.

Patrick Carlopoli, Modlin's boyfriend, is being held at Lee County Jail without bond on one count of second-degree murder and two counts of conspiracy to commit second-degree murder.

"We're not going to speak in great detail to why we think this occurred," said Sheriff Mike Scott, who referred to the scene as gruesome and unthinkable. "That's the first question everyone asks, 'Why this or that?' I don't know that anything could ever answer that question in this case."

10 things about the Carlopoli-Modlin homicides at Iona Lakes

Police said Patrick Carlopoli, who lived at the Iona Lakes Drive complex, called 911 Sunday morning to report three dead bodies.

Found dead were Tammy Modlin, 37, Montana Modlin, 16, and Jeanne Carlopoli, 3.

635893162937532599-IMG-9141.JPG

Patrick Carlopoli was arrested on homicide charges after an incident early Sunday morning. (Photo: LCSO)

Police said Patrick Carlopoli, who lived at the Iona Lakes Drive complex, called 911 Sunday morning to report three dead bodies.

Found dead were Tammy Modlin, 37, Montana Modlin, 16, and Jeanne Carlopoli, 3.

When deputies arrived he pointed inside and said "They are in there" and said he had killed his "wife" though Carlopoli and Tammy Modlin were not married.

Scott: ‘Gruesome’ crime scene inside Lee County apartment

FORT MYERS, Fla. – In what Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott described as a “gruesome” crime scene, a woman, her two daughters and a family pet were found dead inside an apartment early Sunday morning.

Patrick Sean Carlopoli, 27, of 15224 Iona Lakes Drive, is charged with second-degree murder, two counts of conspiracy to commit second-degree murder, two counts of aggravated child abuse and one count of felony animal cruelty.

[...]

Carlopoli has not been charged with killing the two children, said Scott, who did not release a motive in the killings.

Scott: ‘Gruesome’ crime scene inside Lee County apartment

FORT MYERS, Fla. – In what Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott described as a “gruesome” crime scene, a woman, her two daughters and a family pet were found dead inside an apartment early Sunday morning.

Patrick Sean Carlopoli, 27, of 15224 Iona Lakes Drive, is charged with second-degree murder, two counts of conspiracy to commit second-degree murder, two counts of aggravated child abuse and one count of felony animal cruelty.

[...]

Carlopoli has not been charged with killing the two children, said Scott, who did not release a motive in the killings.

Horrible, just horrible.

Man ditched murder-suicide pact after shooting girlfriend

Patrick Carlopoli killed his girlfriend early Sunday morning as part of a suicide pact, but then decided not to go through with it himself and called 911.

That's what the 27-year-old man told Lee County Sheriff's Office deputies upon their arrival at his Iona Lakes Drive residence, where they found the bodies of the girlfriend, Tammy Modlin; Modlin's 16-year-old daughter, Montana; and the couple's 3-year-old daughter, Jeanne.

An LCSO report said Carlopoli and Modlin had "made several plans to murder their daughters and then kill themselves," and Carlopoli told deputies he and his girlfriend killed the family dog by stabbing it several times with a knife.

Carlopoli said Modlin then stabbed the 3-year-old and shot the 16-year-old. At that point, according to the report, Carlopoli said he shot his girlfriend, "however, he could not go through with killing himself."

:furious:What the hell is wrong with people that take their kids out for their own messed up issues?

If they're dumb enough to take themselves out, but leave the children alone. He said that they had a pact, but did they or was it just him? He's rather frightening looking character isn't he..

If they're dumb enough to take themselves out, but leave the children alone. He said that they had a pact, but did they or was it just him? He's rather frightening looking character isn't he..

Not buying what he's selling. JMO

Dad in failed murder-suicide gets 40 years - December 1st

http://www.naplesnews.com/story/news/crime/2016/12/01/dad-failed-murder-suicide-gets-40-years/94740266/

A Fort Myers man will spend four decades in prison for a failed murder-suicide plan in which his girlfriend and her two daughters died.

Lee County court records indicate that Patrick Carlopoli, 28, pleaded guilty Wednesday, and 20th Judicial Circuit Court Judge Margaret O'Steinbeck sentenced him to 40 years

He pleaded guilty to six counts, including second-degree murder, two counts of conspiracy to commit murder, two counts of child cruelty and one count related to the dog's death.

Detectives on the scene reportedly found what appeared to be synthetic marijuana, several cell phones and a suicide note. According to the documents, the suicide note had signatures from Carlopoli, Modlin and Montana...

Tammy's mother, Sherry Lewis, was also interviewed. Lewis said Tammy was a hoarder who had raging and physical tendencies. She said that prior to Mark Modlin, Tammy had an abusive boyfriend who allegedly pushed her on the ice that she'd fallen on.

Lewis added that the drug addiction turned Tammy more paranoid that social workers who came to the house would take away her daughter and pets. Tammy then secretly moved to Florida.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/31949835...note-in-foiled-fort-myers-murder-suicide-pact

Donald Lewis does not believe that his daughter, 37-year-old Tammy Modlin, had a suicide pact with her boyfriend Carlopoli.

“Everything was fine and she went down there to get a fresh start in life. The only thing is she was in the wrong place in the wrong time with the wrong person,” Lewis said....

Two days before the killings, Modlin posted a message to Facebook that read “i have suffered from depression my whole life with agoraphobbia and chronic back pain. i am sorry to my family. i have taken a sams bottle of tylenol. please wait for notification. i will refuse a hospital. it is my time. i love you. it is for the best. i want peace."

http://www.winknews.com/2016/05/10/father-i-want-to-get-inside-head-of-my-daughters-accused-killer/

First post on WS. I typically just lurk and hope for the best on the cases that I come across.

Patrick's sister here. I was, to say the least, disgusted and thoroughly shell-shocked that this happened, and despite having thought the worst of him for the past handful of years (due to family disputes), I never thought he'd go this far. In the past, he was a drug user (unsure what he used, know he smoked synthetic marijuana and marijuana heavily at some point) and told us (the family) of a mental illness diagnosis (can't remember exactly what it was now, so sorry) revolving around paranoia and hearing voices (e.g. he once told us he heard his roommate talking sh-t about him to her cat right next to his door when said roommate wasn't even there), so since Jan 2016 I've wondered if that played any part in it.

Myself, my sister, and my grandmother (both of whom live with my husband and I) were absolutely devastated. My husband and I would have happily adopted Jeanne had we known there was trouble, despite being estranged from Patrick, my mother, and, at the time, my younger brother Noah, who made horribly insensitive comments regarding Tammy when the news broke about possible provocation that would have resulted in this situation.

For Jeanne and Montana, I wish I hadn't been so estranged from Patrick. If we'd been close, as we once were (he opened up to me about his drug usage far more than anyone else when I was fresh out of high school), perhaps there would have been something we could have done to help.

I know it doesn't help to wonder what-if, but I haven't made a public statement on this since the phone call alerting me to the agonizing situation, and I thought it might help me to share a little here. I still suffer from anxiety attacks due to this, so pardon me for dredging up something that's done and over with.

Unlike the rest of my family (with the exception of my grandmother, who never got the chance to meet her beautiful, sweet great-granddaughter), I'm beyond relieved he will be locked away for a very long time. I hope he rots.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back