FL - Woman Arrested For House Filled With Animals, Feces, Deltona 2005 2017

Sally

Former Member
Reaction score
What a lovely individual.

She's got cats sitting on top of cats, sitting on top of cats in cages," said Officer Kathy Frick, Deltona Animal Control.

They also removed 16 dogs and a bird.

In some cases, the animals' fur was so matted with feces that officers could not tell if it was a cat or a dog until they cleaned it. Most of the animals were sick and many won't survive.

http://www.wftv.com/news/5031442/detail.html

I could only imagine that her own clothing probably reeked from the stench too.:sick:

You know, I saw a woman like this on Oprah. The house was disgusting!!! Cat poop ALL over, even in the shower, YUCK! It was just cat poop, it was old food, clothes, etc... Just everywhere. They had a physciatrist on and he said it is some type of disease. Don't remember what exactly. This woman needs help.

Yeah, it's not all that uncommon. I don't know what it's been called, but it happens pretty regularly somewhere - a house filled with too many animals who are not cared for - a lot of them always have to be put down because they are too sick. The rest usually find homes from people who hear about the story and want to help the animals. The house is rarely good for anything afterwards - you can't clean that kind of mess up - just gut the house and rebuild from scratch.

That's so sad - for all of them. I can't imagine living like that. Hopefully the animals will be able to be adopted out.

Did you guys look at the pics? :eek:

It is so sad for those poor animals :( If anyone is local to this area (in Fla) please adopt one of these kitties or dogs and give them a loving home.

5032537_320X240.jpg

5032534_320X240.jpg

5031398_320X240.jpg

5031397_320X240.jpg

Oh how sad!!! Those poor cats and dogs. How in the world could anyone live like that?!?! Ugh.

I saw the Oprah episode as well and it was actually her dog. Oprah kept yelling at her to take the dog outside. The lady did not look dirty at all. Her house was disgusting. I feel for these animals. There was a woman who hired my dad to fix her ceiling when I was a kid because they were kicking her out of the home she was in. We did not know that there was at least 6 inches of dog fecal matter plastered to the floor and the smell was enough to make you physically ill. She received all kinds of fines but they never arrested her or took her 10 dogs away (yes ten) I don't know how many cats she had. My dad did not fix the ceiling by the way.

Melissa Marshall said:
I saw the Oprah episode as well and it was actually her dog. Oprah kept yelling at her to take the dog outside. The lady did not look dirty at all. Her house was disgusting. I feel for these animals. There was a woman who hired my dad to fix her ceiling when I was a kid because they were kicking her out of the home she was in. We did not know that there was at least 6 inches of dog fecal matter plastered to the floor and the smell was enough to make you physically ill. She received all kinds of fines but they never arrested her or took her 10 dogs away (yes ten) I don't know how many cats she had. My dad did not fix the ceiling by the way.

I can't say I blame him. I don't know how anyone lives like that.

Casshew said:
Did you guys look at the pics? :eek:

It is so sad for those poor animals :(

If anyone is local to this area (in Fla) please adopt one of these kitties or dogs and give them a loving home.

Yes Cass, it absolutely is! It's a horror!

This is beyond appalling and even worse than the photos posted - if that's even conceivable!

I live in Seminole County - about 30 miles south of Deltona, which is halfway between Orlando & Daytona Beach, along I-4.

I made a number of calls immediately after seeing this filmed story on our local WFTV news. Most of the kitties are so sick, diseased & emaciated - officials expect they will have to be euthanized. The conditions were absolutely hideous! At this point in time, thankfully - all the dogs are expected to live. I am hoping to foster home several of the kitties - get them proper vet care, bathing, nutrition and eventually "good loving nurturing homes". I'll post again when I learn more.

13th Juror

DELTONA, Fla. -- Animal control officers in Volusia County cleaned out a house Wednesday that was packed with cats, dogs and animal feces. The homeowner of the house on 9th Street in Deltona was arrested.

Neighbors who complained about the smell tipped off investigators. Animal control officers had to wear respirators to go into the house to avoid being overcome by the odor.

Officers said nearly 50 cats were found in cages that were stacked on top of each other. The cages were lined with inches of feces.

"She's got cats sitting on top of cats, sitting on top of cats in cages,"
said Officer Kathy Frick, Deltona Animal Control.

They also removed 16 dogs and a bird.

In some cases, the animals' fur was so matted with feces that officers could not tell if it was a cat or a dog until they cleaned it. Most of the animals were sick and many won't survive.

"I don't know how anybody can live in conditions that that. It's bad. You walk in there and it will start burning your eyes," said Officer Richard Lovett, Deltona Animal Control.

The owner of the house, 63-year-old Linda Castillo, was arrested Wednesday afternoon. She was charged with cruelty to animals, a third-degree felony, and confinement without sufficient food, water and exercise, a misdemeanor.

Several animal control officers had to be treated for scratches from the animals with infection being a big concern. The dogs and cats were transferred to the Halifax Humane Society where they will be cleaned up and treated.

How heartbreaking. I'm not a big cat fan (love dogs), but would never treat any animal that way. I hope these animals can overcome what they've been through and find wonderful homes.

13th Juror said:

I am hoping to foster home several of the kitties - get them proper vet care, bathing, nutrition and eventually "good loving nurturing homes". I'll post again when I learn more.

Bless you.

After viewing those photos my heart was breaking. I hate to say this but those cats would have had a better chance living on the streets! At least they could roam. Leaving an animal caged that cannot move around in just tears me up! I have a bird in a cage and let her out everyday.

Sad and Angry,

S

sue1017 said:
After viewing those photos my heart was breaking. I hate to say this but those cats would have had a better chance living on the streets! At least they could roam. Leaving an animal caged that cannot move around in just tears me up! I have a bird in a cage and let her out everyday.

Sad and Angry,

S

I agree. It literally turned my stomach. As I said, I'm not a big cat fan, but NO animal deserves to be treated that way.

One of the parent's I do daycare for is an Animal Cruelety Investigator. This is exactly what he does, he goes into these homes and removes animals. He said they fine them, put them in jail but for the most part they try to TEACH these people how to care for pets. But he said the problem is on the extreme cases like these they are mentally ill and can't be taught. They HAVE to be kept from having pets. But they keep getting more and more as soon as they can. He has to make regular visits to these type of people as they have to be monitored for the rest of their lives. Luckily for him his wife is an Assistant District Attorney so she can give them sentences for continual breaking of the mandates put on them concerning animals. Anyway, he has come to my house and told me HORROR stories.

As far as this case goes, I almost threw up looking at these pictures. Those poor, poor animals.

Anngelique said:
He said they fine them, put them in jail but for the most part they try to TEACH these people how to care for pets. But he said the problem is on the extreme cases like these they are mentally ill and can't be taught.

I think that's the case in many of these instances - the people need to be taught how to care for themselves before they are allowed to have pets. Those that are mentally ill and can't be taught to care for the pets, need to be taught that they cannot have pets - not how to care for the pets - but that they cannot have them - period.

Kudos to your friend, Angellique - that can't be an easy job.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back