Spain - Asunta Fong Yang, 12, Killed by Wealthy Adoptive Parents

PastTense

Reaction score
One day in late June 2001, Rosario Porto, a petite, dark-haired lawyer from Santiago de Compostela, northern Spain, sat nervously on a flight to China beside her husband Alfonso Basterra, a quiet man from the Basque country, who worked as a freelance journalist. The couple, both in their mid-30s, were on their way to adopt a baby girl. Porto swallowed two tablets of Orfidal – a common anti-anxiety medicine that she had used before then – but remained too agitated and excited to sleep....

Alfredo Balsa is well-known to police in and around Santiago de Compostela. An assiduous visitor of clubes de alterne – the legal, neon-lit bar-brothels that sit on the edges of every Spanish town – he had the habit of driving around drunk in his home parish of Teo, a sprawl of villages outside Santiago. By September 2013 he had been caught so often that his driving licence had been taken away, but the nearest club de alterne – the Satay – was only a mile away, down well-maintained dirt tracks, and the chances of being caught driving there were almost non-existent.

In the early hours of 22 September, he and a friend rolled out of a bar in the village of Feros, got into Balsa’s white Volkswagen Golf, and drove down the broad track to the back of the Satay. It was a remarkably bright night, but the oak and pine trees cast deep, black shadows, and it was among these that Balsa glimpsed something strange. It looked like a scarecrow. He stopped the car, reversed, pointed the headlights towards the spot and, sure enough, a human shape lay stretched out on a gently-sloping bank just two metres from the track. They got out of the car and stepped cautiously towards it. A girl lay on the bed of fallen pine needles, dressed in mud-stained grey sweatpants, with one arm half-inside a matching top and a white T-shirt pulled above her stomach. She was barefoot. The girl’s left arm was curled up to her shoulder, a large wet stain ran around her crotch, and there was a small amount of blood-tinged mucus under her nose. It was a shocking find, made stranger in this quiet country area because the girl was Asian. The men felt for a pulse, but there was none.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-murder-their-adopted-child-asunta-fong-yang

Thanks for sharing, that was a really good article. The investigators think the mother wanted a child because it was the done thing, pushed her into being perfect and high-achieving, then just decided to get rid of her when when she didn't want her any more - by murdering her :( interesting that most people who knew the couple thought they were wonderful parents.

I wonder why they had been drugging her for months? Did they hope it would kill her, or was she being argumentative as pre-teens can be and they hoped it would make her more passive, quiet and sedate?

That story about Asunta waking up to find a man standing over her bed was very strange, too... Did that actually happen? It seems to, because Asunta texted her friend that someone tried to kill her that day. could it have been her father with his face covered? Or perhaps her parents just told her they found someone in her room, and she believed them.

It's frustrating when murderers don't confess - you never get the whole, true story of what happened.

Rest in Peace, Asunta Fong.Yang
938.jpg
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-murder-their-adopted-child-asunta-fong-yang

I just watched a documentary on this case yesterday and it was absolutely haunting. I want to know more about Asunta and her relationships with her friends. She was high-achieving and friendly/outgoing but what was she really like? The descriptions of her seem very superficial.

The psychological profile of the mother is fascinating and the family dynamics were very interesting as well. Was Rosario's affair the tipping point? Why were they drugging Asunta with powerful sedatives? Was she exhibiting signs of normal teenage rebellion and they were trying to rein her in? Or did they just not want to deal with her and preferred her to be asleep for most of the day? Part 4 of the documentary where a mock jury of students reviewed the case was one of the most intriguing parts, with a lot of information disclosed.

The way her body was left out just makes no sense to me. She would be so easily seen where she was left, and there was a more wooded area just beyond. The ropes suggest that she had been bound? Why would you need to bind a tiny, sedated child? Why remove the ropes and leave them next to the body? I know Rosario was very petite but it seems odd that Asunta would need to be restrained. Lastly, I find it so odd that her body was not covered with a blanket or sheet, as in most filicides. Oh and what in the heck was that about the semen!?! Lab error or mistaken alibi? Bizarre.

A very confusing but fascinating case. I spend a lot of time on Websleuths and rarely am I haunted by a case like I have been with that of Asunta. I wonder if more information will ever be released.

Lo que la verdad esconde: El caso Asunta (Operacion Nenúfar) is available to view on Netflix (Spanish with subtitles)

I remember reading about this one awhile back. It said detectives found tons of strange photos of Asunta on the fathers computer. She appears sleeping in most of the photos too. I wonder if that's why they were drugging her?

I remember reading about this one awhile back. It said detectives found tons of strange photos of Asunta on the fathers computer. She appears sleeping in most of the photos too. I wonder if that's why they were drugging her?

If I recall correctly, there were photos (similar if not the same) on the phones of Asunta and both of her parents. The most shady thing is that Dad's computer was not found during the extremely thorough initial searches of his flat but suddenly appeared a few weeks later. And he has no clue how they "missed" it. Who knows what was on it. Apparently he had an interest in *advertiser censored* featuring Asian women but this does not infer nor prove that he had a sexual interest in his daughter.

I never heard what the computer forensics found. I know it's almost impossible to completely and permanently delete everything so I wonder what was ultimately discovered.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back