Burke and the Nintendo

Jayelles

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I just thought of something which strikes me as odd. On another thread, Nehemiah mentioned that the Nintendo had been the hottest Christmas present that year - that is very true. My son got a Nintendo too and I don't think we saw him for a month!

But here's the odd thing. John Ramsey said that Burke had been playing with some model that evening and that he had helped him finish it so that Burke would go to bed.

Did the Ramseys confiscate the Nintendo? (you can read that as "limit it's use")

If they didn't, I am surprised that Burke was playing with a model - and that John wasn't prising the Nintendo out of his hands to get him to go to bed!

Any thoughts?

Jayelles....I am not sure what you are getting at.
I am very interested in all posters thoughts re: Burke as I believe him to have 'dunnit', but (and please don't think me rude or baiting) I am not sure how the nintendo, confiscated or not, plays into the murder.

HELP!!

Brefie said:
Jayelles....I am not sure what you are getting at.
I am very interested in all posters thoughts re: Burke as I believe him to have 'dunnit', but (and please don't think me rude or baiting) I am not sure how the nintendo, confiscated or not, plays into the murder.

HELP!!
It is just another odd factor. Burke got the "hottest" christmas toy - an addictive computer game machine and yet he was playing with a model just hours after receiving it. It doesn't make sense - unless the machine was confiscated - or unless John Ramsey is lying about Burke playing with a model.

Maybe it wasn't confiscated necessarily, but he had a limit on the amount of time he could play. Maybe they'd told him, you can play for an hour, and then you'll have to find other things to do. I kind of doubt that, since there didn't seem to be too many limits on the children, but it's possible.

There's also a distinct possibility John Ramsey was lying about the model. It almost seems too wholesome and picturesque...father and son assembling a model together, spending quality time together bonding as they in their perfect family would.

Nuisanceposter said:
There's also a distinct possibility John Ramsey was lying about the model. It almost seems too wholesome and picturesque...father and son assembling a model together, spending quality time together bonding as they in their perfect family would.

The Ramseys try to make out they are wholesome and perfect? Say it ain't so!

Jayelles - thanks for clearing that up. It IS odd.

Judith Philips' daughter allegedly wrote a letter to the Globe, here is an excerpt with emphasis on the Nintendo.

Lindsay Philips said:
Remember when we'd tease your brother all the time?

"Let's go bother Burke," you'd say. And so we would go in his room , where he was playing his
Nintendo endlessly and unplug his computer. And then he would say "Heck, I was at the highest
level!" And we would run away, go in your bathroom and lock the door, and he would be
banging on it and we would be giggling behind it.

The last time I saw him (Burke) we were at Dougie's house and he was so sad and grieving and hardly could talk from missing you. I wanted to hug him, but I couldn't.

Nuisanceposter said:
Maybe it wasn't confiscated necessarily, but he had a limit on the amount of time he could play. Maybe they'd told him, you can play for an hour, and then you'll have to find other things to do. I kind of doubt that, since there didn't seem to be too many limits on the children, but it's possible.

PMPT p 254
Burke's interview with Schuler:
"What did he and his father talk about when they played with his Chrismas gift that night? Just that it was time for bed. "

Jayelles said:
It is just another odd factor. Burke got the "hottest" christmas toy - an addictive computer game machine and yet he was playing with a model just hours after receiving it. It doesn't make sense - unless the machine was confiscated - or unless John Ramsey is lying about Burke playing with a model.

Jayelles, you brought up a very good point and one that I had not considered until now.

My youngest son received the Ninetendo64 that very year. It was not easily found and we got lucky to have bought it on Christmas Eve. Although he was almost 7 that year, his two older brothers, ages 13 & 16, played with it as much as he. We were definitely the most popular family around, and throughout Christmas break we had many boys over. They set up tournaments, played well into the nights, and tried to get up as early as possible to get back on it. I'm saying all that to drive home just how in demand and addictive this game was!

Interesting that B would not have been playing Nintendo. In fact, I am inclined to believe that he possibly was, and that there is some distancing from this activity by the Rs. Why? We've speculated before some of what we perceive to be distancing instances. Could the Nintendo have factored into why JB was killed....possibly accidently? The N64 left with B the next morning. I doubt the cords or plug-ins were ever examined and compared to the markings on JB's body.

Very good observation, Jay.

Nehemiah said:
Jayelles, you brought up a very good point and one that I had not considered until now.

My youngest son received the Ninetendo64 that very year. It was not easily found and we got lucky to have bought it on Christmas Eve. Although he was almost 7 that year, his two older brothers, ages 13 & 16, played with it as much as he. We were definitely the most popular family around, and throughout Christmas break we had many boys over. They set up tournaments, played well into the nights, and tried to get up as early as possible to get back on it. I'm saying all that to drive home just how in demand and addictive this game was!

Interesting that B would not have been playing Nintendo. In fact, I am inclined to believe that he possibly was, and that there is some distancing from this activity by the Rs. Why? We've speculated before some of what we perceive to be distancing instances. Could the Nintendo have factored into why JB was killed....possibly accidently? The N64 left with B the next morning. I doubt the cords or plug-ins were ever examined and compared to the markings on JB's body.

Very good observation, Jay.

Nehemiah,

The pineapple and tea glass on the breakfast room table suggests that Burke and JonBenet had snuck downstairs in the middle of the night while the parents slept. And it also suggests they were waiting for someone else to secretly show up. Were they waiting for a friend (or friends) to show up and play Nintendo? If Burke had the only Nintendo in the neighborhood, and he was leaving for out of town in the morning, perhaps the kids had arranged a clandestine late-night Nintendo party that degenerated into something sinister.

BlueCrab

Jayelles said:
I just thought of something which strikes me as odd. On another thread, Nehemiah mentioned that the Nintendo had been the hottest Christmas present that year - that is very true. My son got a Nintendo too and I don't think we saw him for a month!

But here's the odd thing. John Ramsey said that Burke had been playing with some model that evening and that he had helped him finish it so that Burke would go to bed.

Did the Ramseys confiscate the Nintendo? (you can read that as "limit it's use")

If they didn't, I am surprised that Burke was playing with a model - and that John wasn't prising the Nintendo out of his hands to get him to go to bed!

Any thoughts?
I have often wondered about this.
We know Burke wanted that Nintendo more than anything.
He had been at the White's all afternoon and until night time....he must have been dying to get home and play with it. I thought it was strange that John Ramsey made a big point of mentioning the model and that that's what him and Burke did until bed that night. I wondered what had happened to the Nintendo.
I sometimes think Toltec is right on the mark with her theory of Burke and his Nintendo.

John told the police that they were working on a model. But you think he was lying because that will fit a theory that Burk got mad about his nintenda being taken away and thus he did the deed?The perp was very, very sinister or it was an accident with the weirdest coverup in history.

It's the latter Rupert.
IMO, John Ramsey was lying about doing the model with Burke that night and not because it fits in with any particular theory, but because we know how much Burke wanted that Nintendo. He hadn't wanted to go to the White's party because that had meant he couldnt play his Nintendo.
Even after his sister was discovered missing , he was more than happy to go somewhere where he could play his Nintendo! He loved it.
I find it odd that he would have wanted to play with anything else when he got home that night.
IMO, the Ramsey's made up the story about what happened immediately after they got home that night. I don't believe JonBenet was asleep when she got home and I don't believe Burke chose to play with a model instead of playing the Nintendo.

narlacat said:
It's the latter Rupert.
IMO, John Ramsey was lying about doing the model with Burke that night and not because it fits in with any particular theory, but because we know how much Burke wanted that Nintendo. He hadn't wanted to go to the White's party because that had meant he couldnt play his Nintendo.
Even after his sister was discovered missing , he was more than happy to go somewhere where he could play his Nintendo! He loved it.
I find it odd that he would have wanted to play with anything else when he got home that night.
IMO, the Ramsey's made up the story about what happened immediately after they got home that night. I don't believe JonBenet was asleep when she got home and I don't believe Burke chose to play with a model instead of playing the Nintendo.
You are correct. There are several things which "don't fit" about the night before.

Burke saying JonBenet was awake and walked upstairs by herself - the Ramsey parents saying she was zonked and was carried in.

Burke choosing to make a model hours after receiving the hottest and highly addictive toy of the year.

Accounts of John saying he read to Jonbenet then John Ramsey denying this.

Jayelles said:
You are correct. There are several things which "don't fit" about the night before.

Burke saying JonBenet was awake and walked upstairs by herself - the Ramsey parents saying she was zonked and was carried in.

Burke choosing to make a model hours after receiving the hottest and highly addictive toy of the year.

Accounts of John saying he read to Jonbenet then John Ramsey denying this.

Awsome find Jeyelles! Its great when someone thinks of something so obvious thats never been considered before. Its never alerted me the fact Burke wanted to play with a model and not his nintendo! well done! This will definetly keep me up tonight thinking.

Charlie said:
Awsome find Jeyelles! Its great when someone thinks of something so obvious thats never been considered before. Its never alerted me the fact Burke wanted to play with a model and not his nintendo! well done! This will definetly keep me up tonight thinking.
It is a good point. But we don't know what Burke wanted to do. As the mother of two game nuts - the last thing I'd let them do, when I wanted them to go to bed soon, is start playing a game. It would be interesting to know if there was any discussion (or standing family rules) about when the Nintendo could be played with.

tipper said:
It is a good point. But we don't know what Burke wanted to do. As the mother of two game nuts - the last thing I'd let them do, when I wanted them to go to bed soon, is start playing a game. It would be interesting to know if there was any discussion (or standing family rules) about when the Nintendo could be played with.
And that was a point I raised in my very first post on the matter - was the Nintendo confiscated? It's a definite possibility - "No more Nintendo tonight Burke or you won't sleep and you have an early rise".

However, nothing is on record to suggest this was the case and I wouldn't simply choose to believe the version which looks best for the Ramseys.

tipper said:
or the one which looks worst
Well I don't think anyone WAS presenting the worst scenario. Just raising some questions and NOT assuming Ramsey word as gospel.

Jayelles said:
Well I don't think anyone WAS presenting the worst scenario. Just raising some questions and NOT assuming Ramsey word as gospel.

Jayelles,

You recapped two excellent points in that one short post.

1. It's a fact that kids in 1996 would have overwhelmingly prefered to play Nintendo than assemble a model of a parking garage. After all, we didn't see Burke grabbing the model parking garage and tucking it under his arm to take with him when he was transported to the White's at 7:00 AM that morning.

2. The fact that all of the Ramseys conspiratorily lied about Burke being in bed until 7:00 AM destroyed Ramsey credibility about everything else they claim took place that morning. Unless a person is ready to take a giant leap of faith, it would be foolish to take as gospel anything the Ramseys say happened.

BlueCrab

I'm not sure I know where this is going?

Why do you think John would feel the need to change the story from playing with the Nintendo to building a model?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back