MO MO - Eureka, Bruce Cave/Goat Bluff Cave, UncFem 25-30, UP9798, Partial skeletal, 1950s, Oct'11

Romulus

Ivan
Reaction score
NamUs UP Case 9798

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9798

Unidentified Unsure female
* Found in 1950s in St.Louis County, IL (seized by police in 10/2011)

* Estimated Year of Death: to

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age:
Adult Pre 30
* Approximate Height: 62
* Distinguishing Characteristics: nothing.

* Dentals: Dental information /charting is available and entered

* Clothing/Jewelry: nothing

* DNA:
Sample submitted - Tests complete

Case History:
Skeletonized remains in association with non-human remains were reportedly recovered in the 1950s from the interior or a cave (known as "Bruce Cave" and/or "Goat Bluff Cave") by a local who's family owns the land (Pulaski County). He reportedly had to partially excavate the remains. He has reportedly kept the remains at his residence in St. Louis County since discovery. The remains were seized by police in 10/2011 and forwarded to the MEO for analysis.

That's weird. Why would he dig them up and just keep them without telling anyone?

How sure are we that these are the remains of someone that could ever be identified?

By that, I mean are they even modern? I don't see an estimate for how long they've been deceased.

Goat Bluff Cave (23PU44)

Goat Bluff Cave Burials (23PU44)
Goat Bluff Cave was investigated and published by Gerard Fowke (1922) as part of his archaeological research in the Ozarks region of Missouri. His report included photographs and descriptions of four burials. Fowke discovered a flexed adult burial at a point 35 feet from the dripline of the cave.

I tried searching for the cave on maps and couldn't find it. I found the general area and it seems fairly remote.

I looked up the address listed on NamUS and got confused as it wasn't the same place I was looking for the cave and is in a subdivision.

Then I noted that it was for the man's current (or at least his 2011) address, not the farm where the cave is.
That's where the bones technically were in 2011.

goat bluff skull.jpg

Bump this is just so strange. So let me get this straight. In the 1950s so me time this guy found human remains and some other random non human remains and kept them until 2011?

So what happened? On his death bed he just decided to tell someone.. oh btw in check the attic there is a box tied with twine it has a skull and some bones…can you tell the cops and tell them I found them. This is just so so weird.

I know even back as far as the 60s people in the Ozarks would bury their family on their land , it's just what the country folk would do , caves too...I have people buried on farms etc no one knows where now either since the elders are gone

I know even back as far as the 60s people in the Ozarks would bury their family on their land , it's just what the country folk would do , caves too...I have people buried on farms etc no one knows where now either since the elders are gone
Oh Iam such fresh air fund kid it’s not funny.. sigh.. ok Iam still confused. :(So it was this guys family farm that the cave was in. But the bones did not belong to any of his family members. So it was other people that buried their loved one in the cave on their land? And he went and dug them up in the 1950s? Correct?

Oh Iam such fresh air fund kid it’s not funny.. sigh.. ok Iam still confused. :(So it was this guys family farm that the cave was in. But the bones did not belong to any of his family members. So it was other people that buried their loved one in the cave on their land? And he went and dug them up in the 1950s? Correct?
Judging by this article: Goat Bluff Cave Burials (23PU44) they were likely a historical (possible Native American?) burial in the cave.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back