Hospital forbids cooing over newborns

Mirielle

Reaction score
WHAT?????!!!!!!!???????? That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read in my life!!!! (Well, not really, but it comes close!) Wow ... crazy!!

Staff in one of the wards have put up a display of a doll in a cot with a message saying: "What makes you think I want to be looked at?"

WTF????? oh my, we are becoming a cold world... it's a natural instinct to coo over a tiny baby.... How silly this new rule is....

Remind me never to go to that hospital to give birth ! Pathetic.

A guy we work with had his wife bring in his new baby today, and we coo'd all over it. Made the Mom feel great (though I really don't think the 6-week old gave a crap one way or the other).

If you can't coo over a baby, it makes all the diapers and puke and all the other stuff they constantly produce so much more disgusting. That's why cooing was invented, for heaven's sake!

Babies understand and respond to cooing and baby talk, NOT adult talk... I'm going to say it again, this new hospital rule SUCKS!!! hopefully it will get overturned... I also think baby animals respond in a positive manner if you coo over them.. puppies do at least... if I talk "baby talk" to my dog, he's playful, if I'm firm in tone, he's knows I mean business...

"Infection control was also a key part of the message as the unit deals with very small babies with very vulnerable immune systems."

Shouldn't these babies be isolated anyway? Are they saying Grandma and Grandpa can't come in and love on their new grandbaby? Never in all my life did I hear of a baby contracting an infection from a visitor.

Apparently there were incidents where strangers were touching the babies and picking them up.:eek: What kind of hospital allows strangers to access the babies??? Instead of insuring safety for the newborns, they instituted a stoopid non-cooing non-looking rule. They must not have a nursery where you can stand outside and coo to your heart's content.

Fighting for the right to coo anytime anywhere.

Mirielle said:
Apparently there were incidents where strangers were touching the babies and picking them up.:eek: What kind of hospital allows strangers to access the babies??? Instead of insuring safety for the newborns, they instituted a stoopid non-cooing non-looking rule. They must not have a nursery where you can stand outside and coo to your heart's content.

Fighting for the right to coo anytime anywhere.

Standing outside the nursery and cooing to your hearts content is every grandparents right.....they have earned it. Some people make things so hard when they needn't be.

Mirielle said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/womenfamily.html?in_article_id=363576&in_page_id=1799

"Debbie Lawson, a ward sister at the special care baby unit, said: "We know people have good intentions and most cannot resist cooing over new babies but we need to respect the child. "Cooing should be a thing of the past because these are little people with the same rights as you or me."

Arrest me right now and lock me up forever!! I am a born cooer and cannot stop myself.:eek:

hi miri!

"The hospital held an "advice day" last week to promote the initiative. Cards were handed out to visitors headlined "Respect my baby", with a message underneath as written by a baby. "I am small and precious so treat me with privacy and respect," it said. "My parents ask you to treat my personal space with consideration. I deserve to be left undisturbed and protected against unwanted public view.""

:confused:

that's funny, every baby i asked said, "Coo Me Baby! Give me your Love and Affection!"

What a crazy story! who could resist tawking to the wittle bitty babies?

PaperDoll said:
Babies understand and respond to cooing and baby talk, NOT adult talk... I'm going to say it again, this new hospital rule SUCKS!!! hopefully it will get overturned... I also think baby animals respond in a positive manner if you coo over them.. puppies do at least... if I talk "baby talk" to my dog, he's playful, if I'm firm in tone, he's knows I mean business...
I agree, PaperDoll. There's got to be a reason why this is a natural reaction that people have when seeing a baby. Some left-over trait that has us automatically respond to babies this way. It's probably very good for them.

Since research has proven that babies respond well to human faces, what is the harm in them seeing the faces? As long as the babies are prevented from being handled by other than certain family members (as delineated within the medical record of the child, with photographs of the allowable family persons) it should not present a security issue. If they had sufficient video surveillance and identification processes being implemented, there should be no problem. Babies are beautiful. If they became unable to fawn over babies, I know a lot of folks who would be out of a job. It's part of the healthcare industry in Pediatrics. I had a doctor offer to take my curly-blonde haired, dimpled daughter if I didn't want her....that's cooing.

"Cooing should be a thing of the past because these are little people with the same rights as you or me."
The woman is an idiot.

I think it is in our cavewomen and cavemen genes. I caught my husband cooing at a little gummy smiling 6 month old tonight (nobody in the world smiles like a 6 month old baby) in the grocery store...right in front of his mom, too. The mom was eating it up and the baby was loving it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back