MS - Officer Shot in Head While Investigating Armed Robbery at Convenience Store

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Authorities with the Clarksdale Police Department and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation have released a video of two robbery suspects who may be connected to the shooting of Clarksdale Police Officer Derrick Couch.

screen-shot-2016-02-14-at-7-35-40-am.png

The larger man in the video has a noticeable limp that may make him identifiable, TFC Joey Miller said.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/wreg3/videos/1241279195900784/[/video]

http://wreg.com/2016/02/14/footage-released-of-possible-suspects-in-clarksdale-officer-shooting/

This is so sad. Just the other day two policemen were killed in Maryland. There seems to be no fear of consequences any more.

This is so sad. Just the other day two policemen were killed in Maryland. There seems to be no fear of consequences any more.

No. These shootings have always happened, they're just getting more coverage now. JMO

No. These shootings have always happened, they're just getting more coverage now. JMO

It is too soon for the statistics but I believe there has been a surge in cop killings recently.

Imagine going to work and having to worry about never seeing your loved ones again.
Just my .02, I get angry at people who put down law enforcement-- yet they expect them to keep the streets safe for everyone alike. Smdh.
Some people like to eat a prime rib... but they don't want to help with the animal being processed. Some people like to wear designer clothing-- but don't want to hear about who sews the items, nor what their working conditions are.

Sorry for ranting; it seems more and more to me that our safety at home and when out working/shopping comes at a very high price. Some policemen get hardened by the nature of their jobs , to where they can't 'turn it off' when they go home ; I'd read a while back that domestic abuse is a problem for some in law enforcement because of that.

Those who murder cops should receive an automatic death penalty.

Couldn't find out how Officer Couch is doing, but hoping he survives . My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
IMO

It is too soon for the statistics but I believe there has been a surge in cop killings recently.

Let me know when/if you find some articles and links to support your claim.

Looks like eight officers killed by gunfire so far this year. https://www.odmp.org/search/year
No statistics that I can find on how many have been shot and lived. Nor how many have been assaulted in other ways.

Imagine going to work and having to worry about never seeing your loved ones again.
Just my .02, I get angry at people who put down law enforcement-- yet they expect them to keep the streets safe for everyone alike. Smdh.
Some people like to eat a prime rib... but they don't want to help with the animal being processed. Some people like to wear designer clothing-- but don't want to hear about who sews the items, nor what their working conditions are.

Sorry for ranting; it seems more and more to me that our safety at home and when out working/shopping comes at a very high price. Some policemen get hardened by the nature of their jobs , to where they can't 'turn it off' when they go home ; I'd read a while back that domestic abuse is a problem for some in law enforcement because of that.

Those who murder cops should receive an automatic death penalty.

Couldn't find out how Officer Couch is doing, but hoping he survives . My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
IMO

Unfortunately I disagree with everything you have said except the well wishes for the officer. There is NO organization in America that tramples on an individual's rights more thoroughly or frequently than the police department. True officers put their lives on the line daily, however the were not drafted. They volunteered to put themselves and their family in this situation. You insinuate their job has hardened them and some have brought that home to their spouses. I submit that a large majority have become officers because of the power they can wield. In other words, they are predispositioned to domestic violence.

I say every officer that uses his position to rape women and/or kill unarmed citizens should be put to death.

The police rarely prevent crime, they just take reports and try to find the perps. True this prevents some crime by taking a criminal off the street but they don't prevent the original crime.

RSBM

I found this :

https://www.odmp.org/search/year

www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatali...-spike-police-officers-killed-gunfire-n517436

www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/eight-shot-dead-2016-sees-spike-police-officers-killed-gunfire-n517436
"People are hunting us. How do you think that sits with us?" Case County, North Dakota, Sheriff Paul Laney said at a news conference Thursday. "But yet we wear this badge with honor and pride and we're going to go out every day and protect our communities."

Fwiw; the remarks by Sheriff Laney were chilling ,to me. Why would people think law enforcement are the enemy ?
That's sad and shouldn't be happening --what's spurring the notion that cops are to be 'hunted' ?
MOO

Unfortunately I disagree with everything you have said except the well wishes for the officer. There is NO organization in America that tramples on an individual's rights more thoroughly or frequently than the police department. True officers put their lives on the line daily, however the were not drafted. They volunteered to put themselves and their family in this situation. You insinuate their job has hardened them and some have brought that home to their spouses. I submit that a large majority have become officers because of the power they can wield. In other words, they are predispositioned to domestic violence.

I say every officer that uses his position to rape women and/or kill unarmed citizens should be put to death.

The police rarely prevent crime, they just take reports and try to find the perps. True this prevents some crime by taking a criminal off the street but they don't prevent the original crime.
RSBM

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. If we all agreed... it'd be a boring world.

Hope my comment didn't suggest corrupted police should be let off the hook -- not in the slightest.

I've not had any of my rights trampled or infringed upon by law enforcement , ever. I realize for some this has not been the case. Maybe it's just luck ?

I submit that a large majority have become officers because of the power they can wield. In other words, they are predispositioned to domestic violence.

That's another way of looking at it.
My thinking has evolved on different topics; but will still stand by my post -- even if it may be a bit one-sided.
I still welcome other viewpoints.

:moo:

RSBM

I found this :

www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatali...-spike-police-officers-killed-gunfire-n517436

www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/eight-shot-dead-2016-sees-spike-police-officers-killed-gunfire-n517436
"People are hunting us. How do you think that sits with us?" Case County, North Dakota, Sheriff Paul Laney said at a news conference Thursday. "But yet we wear this badge with honor and pride and we're going to go out every day and protect our communities."

Fwiw; the remarks by Sheriff Laney were chilling ,to me. Why would people think law enforcement are the enemy ?
That's sad and shouldn't be happening --what's spurring the notion that cops are to be 'hunted' ?
MOO

So 2015 had the second lowest number of gunfire deaths of officers in the past 15 years, if you're just going to look at shootings in terms of violence against officers.

I think that two weeks into February might be too early to call on whether this is a "statistical blip" or whether 5 is going to be the monthly average for 2016.

Edit: 2015 is also the second lowest of all deaths combined in the past 15 years. I don't have the time right now to go through and split it as best I can into accidental/health related and likely intentional but it looks a little like media pot stirring....
I guess you would need non-death assaults etc added on for a real view.

.....it looks a little like media pot stirring....
SABBM Snipped for brevity

What ?? The always-'truthful', fully 'objective' media stirring up trouble ?? Surely not !! ( *lol in a sarcastic manner* )
Sorry to say I'm becoming less trusting of the press ; which is why I come here to WS for some reasonable discussion -- regardless of which side we might be on. :)

There's this:
Fewer police officers were slain in the line of duty this year than in 2014, even as the overall number of police officers who died on duty rose slightly, a new report found.

A total of 52 officers were slain in 2015, a decrease of about 15 percent. A total of 42 officers died in firearm related incidents, a 14 percent decrease from 2014.

But the data shows 2015 was one of the safest for law enforcement in the last 65 years.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?297550-Fewer-officers-slain-on-duty-this-year

RSBM

I found this :

MOO

Possibly because they think of us as the enemy.

My spouse thinks as you do - more news coverage of what's always occurred. I feel like it's a surge in police killings. It'll take a few years to discover which is right. It's definitely true we have more news and more immediate news nowadays.

Eight Shot Dead: 2016 Sees Year-Over-Year Spike In Cops Killed By Gunfire

The 2016 gunfire fatalities mark a notable increase from the same Jan. 1 through Feb. 11 period last year, when just one officer was shot dead, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.[ and it is now 10 officers that have been shot.]

In total, 11 officers have died this year, versus 13 officers in the same time frame last year. But most of the deaths last year were traffic-related, not firearms-related like they are this year, according to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund's tally.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-spike-police-officers-killed-gunfire-n517436

So I was correct when I said it seemed like there have been more officers killed recently than usual. This month there where ten times more shot and killed than in the same period in 2015.

Possibly because they think of us as the enemy.

Because many members of the public do see LE as their mortal enemy. How would you like to work at a job where about 10% of your 'clients' actively wanted to kill you?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/us/law-enforcement-officers-shot-dead/

5 U.S. law enforcement officers shot dead within days
CNN
Updated 6:11 AM ET, Fri February 12, 2016

(CNN)Gunfire claimed the lives of at least five on-duty officers in an unusually deadly week for U.S. law enforcement.

In four days, five officers were killed in the line of duty in shootings around the country, more than doubling the number of officers who have died by gunfire so far this year.

A Colorado sheriff's deputy died after being shot Monday; two sheriff's deputies were killed Wednesday in Maryland; a police officer in Georgia is dead after gunfire broke out Thursday while he and other officers were serving a warrant; and a police officer shot Wednesday night in North Dakota did not survive, authorities say.

One officer was shot to death during the same period last year….

According to some officers I have asked about that, it is partly because LE has made changes to save a few more lives. Many 'dangerous' precincts have officers wearing vests routinely and they have officers partnered up now. That cuts the death rate by a small percentage.
Has anyone seen stats on non-fatal attacks on LE? I don't think the number of deaths really tells us much. There could have been an increase in non-fatal injuries, and an increase in attacks overall but with fewer fatalities. I was surprised when none of the articles on the decline in LE deaths had any broader discussion like this (at least not the articles I read). Makes me wonder about the possibility of media spin. Has anyone seen stats on total LE injuries, both fatal and non-fatal?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Has anyone seen stats on non-fatal attacks on LE? I don't think the number of deaths really tells us much. There could have been an increase in non-fatal injuries, and an increase in attacks overall but with fewer fatalities. I was surprised when none of the articles on the decline in LE deaths had any broader discussion like this (at least not the articles I read). Makes me wonder about the possibility of media spin. Has anyone seen stats on total LE injuries, both fatal and non-fatal?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have not found any yet and I have looked. But here is an example:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/02/...-high-school-football-player-killed/21312930/
"Investigators said the 19-year old jumped through a plate-glass window, knocked one of the deputies to the ground and starting fighting with him. That's when the deputies fired and state police said Perkins died at the scene."

So this football star is having some kind of tragic meltdown. He tears up a convenience store, assaults an elderly couple and returns to his home. When the cops arrive at his door, he smashes through a window and jumps on one of the officers, attacking him. The other officer shoots him, and he dies.

That incident will be filed under ' cops shoot unarmed black teen.' It will not be added to a list of assaults on officers on duty.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back