Let's talk about the smelter

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
On day 5, of the trial transcript, on page 195, Buting notes, and I quote:

Q. And that, in fact, at some point during the investigation you were aware that there was someone sent an anonymous letter, that was found at the Green Bay Post Office, that said, body was burnt up in aluminum smelter, 3 a.m., Friday morn, right?

I attempted to find this smelter, based upon the various testimonies in the following trial transcripts

along with this pic.

Exhibit-481-Boiler-1024x670.jpg

From the aerial map view (see rusted roof of small building attached to larger building), it appears this smelter is located near the main salvage yard shop.

This leads me to think that Buting & Stang were arguing that Ms. Halbach's remains were destroyed in the smelter, or rather, in the "boiler" (the small burn shed, in front of the smelter, pictured above). Since they are arguing that SA did not murder Ms. Halbach, the only other conclusion I can draw, is that they think one or both of SA's brothers killed her. Esp since the smelter is located directly behind CA's house.

That being said, I am interested in other's opinions regarding this.

Exhibit-493-smelter-side-1024x677.jpg
I think this is what they actually called the smelter. The one you have pictured shadowraiths is what they ball the "boiler". Personally.... I think the boiler 'looks' like it could do the job easier, don't you? But didn't they find that it hadn't been used recently?

here is something interesting that I seen someone point on reddit the other day....

in the smelter...
Exhibit-490-smelter-inside-1024x673.jpg
in the burn barrel where the electronics were found...
exhibit-burnt-pieces-3-1024x576.jpg

look at the cans in them. Same kind? Not burnt? kinda odd lol

Exhibit-485-boiler-ash-removed-1024x682.jpg

I wonder if anything they took out of there was tested?

Yeah, the reason I posted the pic of the boiler is bc that seems far more likely to me. The smelter seems to be one big mess that hasn't been used in ages.

If you check out page 22 of Day 18, Pevytoe testifies regarding emptying the boiler's contents. From my read however, it's still more of a cursory examination... even though they did empty it. Moreover, had any of her remains been left in the smelter, imho, digging through the thing, as opposed to bringing in a forensic anthropologist to sift through the contents without destroying evidence, doesn't to my mind, rule out that her remains were burned there.

If you check out page 22 of Day 18, Pevytoe testifies regarding emptying the boiler's contents. From my read however, it's still more of a cursory examination... even though they did empty it. Moreover, had any of her remains been left in the smelter, imho, digging through the thing, as opposed to bringing in a forensic anthropologist to sift through the contents without destroying evidence, doesn't to my mind, rule out that her remains were burned there.

I agree about the forensic anthropologist.... they should have at least taken it to her? See it's stuff like that that make me wonder what were they hiding?

I see Pevytoe says that it would be used to burn wood, to heat water to heat an area..... but I don't see that it's attached to any building, I'm assuming the top stack would be vented into a building? So it very well could have been used and no one noticed (other than whoever used it).

So, on page 23 of Day 18, he crawled into the boiler, which indicates it could easily fit a body. I thought it was interesting that he kept noting it was cold. I don't know how long it takes these things to cool down but I would expect them to cool quite quickly after the fire was out. Esp since it had apparently been raining all week.

My thoughts exactly

So, on page 23 of Day 18, he crawled into the boiler, which indicates it could easily fit a body. I thought it was interesting that he kept noting it was cold. I don't know how long it takes these things to cool down but I would expect them to cool quite quickly after the fire was out. Esp since it had apparently been raining all week.

that stuck out to me too. Days later, how hot would they expect it to be?

as for the weather...
October 31st: Precipitation 0.76 mm
Nov 1-4th - 0
November 5th: Precipitation 7.62 mm
November 6th Precipitation 6.35 mm
nothing on 7th/8th and I didn't look further.

https://www.wunderground.com/histor...statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

I think she could have been burned in the smelter that the Sheriff's family owned near by.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back