Tour boat capsizes on a New York lake - 20 reported dead

vanillasky

Reaction score
:(

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/02/boat.overturned/index.html

About 20 people died Sunday when a tour boat carrying senior citizens capsized in New York's Lake George, a witness said.

"I saw like 20 people that were laying on the grass that were covered. And they were dead," said Andrea Sause, who was cleaning rooms in a nearby building when she heard ambulances and went to investigate with her father.

What a nightmare, apparently many were trapped beneath the capsized hull, very sad story :(

It sure is awful. They showed a clip on Fox with the bodies covered in sheets. Very Very sad.

Was the boat overloaded I wonder? Why on earth would it capsize?

That is very sad; seniors have been the victims of several accidents lately as well as the hurricane.

They said it might have been from the wake of a larger boat, but they are not sure yet.

This is what the boat looked like, it would hold about 50people

story.ethan.allen.shoreline.jpg

I wonder if they all had their life jackets on? of course that wouldn't help anyone trapped inside.

This reminds me of that awful duck boat accident several years ago in Hot Springs, Arkansas. About 13 people drowned, many had been trapped and held under by the duck boat awning. It was horrible - so close to shore, there were lots of people eating at the *advertiser censored* of the Walk restaurant there within yards, and suddenly the boat was down and so many drowned almost within reach.

At first there was a makeshift memorial but now there is no evidence at all of what happened, not even a small commemorative marker.

Prayers for the families of this accident.

Oh no - it's "glass enclosed". How horrible, it doesn't even appear there is a way to get out quickly and easily - I don't see any decks.

Who thought of that? What a sad story.

Very sad news.. too much sad news lately :eek: :eek: :eek: prayers going out for the oved ones...

Worked on tour boats for about 15 yrs in FL. I wonder about the legalities of this accident.

I heard on tv that this boat ran into the wake of a much larger boat. Here the law is that you are responsible for your wake. The catch I see is, did this boat drive into the wake or did the other boat throw it's wake into them?
If a boat throws a large wake going past another they are accountable.
If the Captain of the tour boat drove his boat into the wake he is responsible.
It is an accicident but with a person being at fault. Someone used bad judgement.
Also I want to add I have seen small boats throw a wake that almost tossed our guest overboard. We never rode into one. It was always boats coming passed us. If a Captain pilots a boat into a wake that is negligent. IMO of course.

Thanks for that info Beca. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

I have now decided that I will not be going anywhere on a bus, boat, nor going into a nursing home :eek:

Those poor people trapped like that. Could they have gone deeper under water and swam out from under the boat? The horror of it all...darn!

The woman I sit next to had a cousin on the boat. Now they are awaiting word for the funeral...

Pook said:
The woman I sit next to had a cousin on the boat. Now they are awaiting word for the funeral...

Oh how sad. I'm so sorry to hear that.

KatherineQ said:
This reminds me of that awful duck boat accident several years ago in Hot Springs, Arkansas. About 13 people drowned, many had been trapped and held under by the duck boat awning. It was horrible - so close to shore, there were lots of people eating at the *advertiser censored* of the Walk restaurant there within yards, and suddenly the boat was down and so many drowned almost within reach.

At first there was a makeshift memorial but now there is no evidence at all of what happened, not even a small commemorative marker.

Prayers for the families of this accident.
That's what I originally thought of when I first heard about the NY boat wreck too.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/03/boat.overturned/index.html

NTSB investigates deadly boat sinking
Crews raise craft from bottom of New York's Lake George

Monday, October 3, 2005; Posted: 6:00 p.m. EDT (22:00 GMT)

The top of the boat is visible as it is raised Monday.

story.boat.rising.cnn.jpg

NEW YORK (CNN) -- National Transportation Safety Board officials said Monday it is too early to determine what caused a tour boat to capsize Sunday, killing 20 elderly passengers.

As part of their probe, crews raised the vessel from a depth of 70 feet to the water's surface Monday afternoon and began towing it to shore.

According to Mark Rosenkar, acting chairman of the NTSB, a thorough investigation is under way to determine the cause of the incident that threw the passengers and crew aboard the Ethan Allen into Lake George in New York's Adirondack Mountains.

Such a sad story! It's been on our local news quite a bit because most of the seniors were from Michigan, there on a fall color tour. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims families.

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051004/ap_on_re_us/boat_overturned

LAKE GEORGE, N.Y. - A tour boat that capsized on a New York lake, killing 20 people, did not have the required number of crew members aboard, leading state regulators to suspend licenses for all five vessels belonging to the company that operated the tour, officials said Monday.

The Ethan Allen, which overturned Sunday on Lake George while carrying 47 elderly tourists, was required by state boating regulations to have two crew members, said Wendy Gibson, spokeswoman for the state Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.

Any commercial boat that carries 21 to 48 passengers must have two crew members, she said.

Authorities have said the only crew member aboard was Capt. Richard Paris.

Another interesting fact is that the weight limit on these boats is figured out at 150 per person. being seniors, I image that a lot of the women were well below this figure, but for middle aged people, this would truly be a lot more weight in the boat than is normally thought.

Our news last night stated that the company has had to pull all 5 of their boats out of the water until they are fully investigated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back