Found Deceased OH - La'Ron Harris, 27, Akron, 21 February 2016

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
La'Ron Harris
Missing_Akron_man_s_cell_phone_pinged_in_0_32851715_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Missing Akron man's cell phone pinged in Cleveland, Rocky River
He drove his car into Cuyahoga River last Sunday

Akron, Ohio -
Akron police are searching for a man who has been missing for more than two days after he crashed his car into the Cuyahoga River.

Family and friends of La'Ron Harris, 27, have been searching the river in the Merriman Valley alongside Akron firefighters and police for two days. Some said they believe Harris is dead.

Akron police said they still classified Harris as a missing person since he has not been found. Family members told investigators it would very unusual for Harris to go more than two days without contacting anyone.

"I just can't give up on him," his live-in girlfriend Teylor Nurse said while searching on the banks of the river. "I told him I would have his back through everything. I know he'd be doing the same for me."

Harris about 2:30 a.m. Sunday was at the Lazy Gator bar in the Merriman Valley's bar complex. A friend, 25-year-old Kaila Watkins, asked him for a ride home, according to police.

The two got in the car and Harris drove out of the parking lot onto Weathervane Lane. Instead of going with the curve in Weathervane Lane towards Merriman Road, Harris drove into an apartment complex driveway and crashed through a wooden barrier.

Missing_Akron_man_s_cell_pinged_in_Cleve_2_32840114_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

The car plummeted into the Cuyahoga River and sunk. Watkins told police they both escaped the car. She swam against the current to the riverbank and was unharmed.

Akron Police said they searched the river banks, but had no updates as of Monday, eight days after La'Ron was last seen.

Akron Fire has jurisdiction over the water, and searched the river last Sunday and last Monday and found no signs of Harris.

"We can't eat, can't sleep, can't do nothing," said Justen Harris, La'Ron's younger brother. Family and friends have searched the river banks day and night, but turned up nothing.

Then, they hired a private investigator out of Youngstown.

That private investigator tracked La'Ron's phone and found it pinging in two spots -- stationary on W. 11th St. in Cleveland's Tremont neighborhood and moving on Old Detroit Rd. in Rocky River.

The ping means the cell phone hit cell phone towers within a four-mile radius.

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2016/02/akron_police_searching_for_man.html

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...ns-cell-phone-pinged-in-cleveland-rocky-river

I wonder if he some kind of head injury and got amnesia? Or maybe he is on the run if he was driving drunk in fear of a DUI.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

La'Ron Harris, 27, drove his car into the Cuyahoga River in Akron after a night out last Sunday around 2:30 a.m. His passenger, Kaila Watkins, escaped the sinking car and swam to safety.

Akron Police said they searched the river banks, but had no updates as of Monday, eight days after La'Ron was last seen.

Then, they hired a private investigator who tracked La'Ron's phone and found it pinging in two spots -- stationary on W. 11th St. in Cleveland's Tremont neighborhood and moving on Old Detroit Rd. in Rocky River.

The ping means the cell phone hit cell phone towers within a four-mile radius.

Missing_Akron_man_s_cell_phone_pinged_in_0_32851715_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Early article: http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...ssing-after-driving-car-into-a-river-in-akron

Update: http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...ns-cell-phone-pinged-in-cleveland-rocky-river

I wonder who discovered the phone pinging. If it was LE and the PI just relayed the find to the media then it could have been before La-Ron's car went into the water. If the PI discovered the pings that would be after the accident and maybe Mr. Harris made it out of the car and may be wandering around not knowing who he is. I know my phone is waterproof for a short period of time so maybe his would still ping after going into the river. However like Papa Rob said how can a phone ping in two different place?

JMO

is it possible that perhaps Laron left his phone at the bar and someone took it? Maybe that would explain the pings.
I would think that the phone would have gotten wet and damaged if he made it out of the car....

is it possible that perhaps Laron left his phone at the bar and someone took it? Maybe that would explain the pings.
I would think that the phone would have gotten wet and damaged if he made it out of the car....

No he had his phone on him this is crazy my brother has been missing for a year he never was in that car the more information comes out added with time shows how could he just vanish into thin air out of a car ??? that female that was with him whole story is deluded

Every time I check this link, I just want to cry. This family is hurting so bad. I would invite them to join WS, maybe we could help them in some way, but I don't have a FB account.

Anyone willing to invite them?

Im his brother we are very angry & very confused how does a an disappear into thin air for a year now how is this possible i was there i drove to akron when call came in stayed at hotels for weeks searching on foot nothing police hasn't did much to nothing fyi if that was me unhurt left that female i would been main suspect in her disappearance Akron police swept my brothers case under rug 😡

James, I'm so sorry for what you and your family are going through. I can't imagine how hard this must be.

I read about your brother when he first went missing. He has such a warm smile.

I have wondered about the cell phone. Did you or your private investigator ever figure out why it was pinging in two locations? Was his phone ever recovered?

I'm glad that you joined.

La’Ron Harris hasn’t been seen since Feb. 20, 2016, when he drove a car containing him and a female friend into the Cuyahoga River. She emerged from the river while he didn’t.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/loc...-efforts-to-solve-older-missing-persons-cases

59db60b6154e3.jpg

La'Ron Harris was last seen on Weathervane Lane after a car accident. He drove his car into the Cuyahoga River behind an Akron apartment complex in the Merriman Valley sometime after 2:30 a.m. on February 20, 2016. He was never seen again.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/loc...-efforts-to-solve-older-missing-persons-cases

The Vanished podcast did an excellent recap of the La'Ron Harris case today, 2/3/2018. La’Ron’s family now believes that La'Ron was not in the car when it went into the Cuyahoga River. A woman named Kaila Watkins,claimed La'Ron was giving her a ride home when he inexplicably drove the car into the river. However, Kaila has changed details of her story several times. At times, she has claimed she kicked out the window that they both escaped through. In other interviews, she said La’Ron kicked out the window, but told her to go through first. (How they were having this under water conversation, I don’t know.) The family saw the car before it was taken away for good and none of the windows was kicked out. Kaila claims she swam to the river’s edge and got out. She said La’Ron was swimming in the opposite direction, but he has never been found. His family said La'Ron, a former lifeguard, was an excellent swimmer.

Not only have the police done next to nothing, they have threatened the Harris family with arrest for harassing the police by calling the police to see if anything is being done. La'Ron's family wouldn't have to beg for answers if the police were doing anything. I think the family is right in thinking that La'Ron did not drive that car into the Cuyahoga River. The police should not have accepted Kaila's account of what happened.

In the podcast, you'll hear that La'Ron had a lot of cash on him that night from his income tax return and was generously buying drinks for a lot of people. People saw he had a lot of money on him. La'Ron was in some kind of altercation at the bar and Kaila was good friends with the people La'Ron had the altercation with. It seems more likely that someone at the Lazy Gator Bar killed La'Ron to steal the cash he had. I'm sure Kaila knows the real story. I don't believe she swam out of the car and the river. I think it is more likely that someone pushed the car into the river and invented the whole story after robbing and killing La'Ron.

I'm so sorry for all this family has been through. To think that a private investigator took the family's money and didn't help them at all only adds insult to injury. Maybe the best way to proceed would be for the family to do a Go Fund Me to raise money to hire a private investigator with integrity. I don't believe the Akron police are ever going to probe further.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back