TX - Teenager Molests 6 year old in School Gym, Lubbock, 2005

Former Member
Reaction score
Police Arrest Suspect In Sexual Assault Case Police arrested David Kennimer, 19, for aggravated sexual assault Monday afternoon. Kennimer was living with his parents in their central Lubbock home.

Police say it all started when Kennimer applied to be a volunteer at Dupre Elementary. He was never given the position, but was allowed to take pictures of the school. That`s when police say Kennimer took a six-year-old girl out of gym class and sexually molested her.

Kennimer could be facing some serious jail time. His story begins on Tuesday, September 20. Police say Kennimer applied to be a volunteer at Dupre Elementary and asked to take pictures of the school.

"The reason he wanted to take pictures is beccause he`s looking at a career in photography, he was wanting to put together a portfolio book," says Lieutenant Jerry Brewer, of the Lubbock Police Department.

That was the story Kennimer told administrators. He couldn`t volunteer until his background check went through; but in the meantime, he was allowed to photograph the school, as long as no children were in the shots. One week later, Kennimer showed back up with his camera. That`s when police say he began taking pictures of students in a gym class and then pulled one six-year-old girl into a private room and sexually molested her.

"That was when the coach wondered where he was at and started looking for him," says Lietuenant Brewer. "At the time, he didn`t see anything peculiar."

Which raises the question: How did Kennimer supposedly get into the building, sexually molest a child during gym class and have it go unnoticed by teachers?

http://www.kamc28.com/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=1106

[font=arial,sans-serif] Man charged in sexual assault of girl at Dupre Elementary
BY JASON WOMACK
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Police arrested a man late Monday afternoon on suspicion of sexually assaulting a 6-year-old girl at a Lubbock elementary school.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Juvenile detectives arrested David L. Kennimer, 19, on two counts of aggravated sexual assault during a search of his home.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]The charges and subsequent search stemmed from allegations that Kennimer exposed his genitals to the Dupre Elementary student, encouraged the girl to touch his genitals and then fondled the student underneath her skirt.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][/font]
[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]Kennimer[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]The alleged assault took place during school hours on Sept. 27 at Dupre Elementary, 2008 Ave. T, a primary school serving kindergarten though sixth grade.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Police said Kennimer coaxed the girl into an alcove adjacent to the school gymnasium, then assaulted her under the guise of taking her picture.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]School officials said that Kennimer never had permission to be on the school campus when the alleged assault occurred.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]"He had slipped into the building and was seen by a faculty member and asked to leave," Lubbock Independent School District spokeswoman Nancy Sharp said.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Kennimer had previously offered to volunteer at the school and had completed paperwork for a background check.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]But the school district had not processed the paperwork and did not provide credentials that would allow Kennimer access to the school.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]"Unfortunately, perverted people will take any opportunity to sneak into buildings, not just schools," Sharp said.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Police had previously arrested Kennimer twice: once on a misdemeanor charge for carrying a prohibited weapon and again for felony drug possession.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]The drug possession case is currently pending at the Lubbock County Courthouse.
[/font]

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/100405/loc_100405045.shtml

you have to register at the site to view.

jodieo said:
Police Arrest Suspect In Sexual Assault Case
Which raises the question: How did Kennimer supposedly get into the building, sexually molest a child during gym class and have it go unnoticed by teachers?

http://www.kamc28.com/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=1106

How? Here's how it can happen.

At my daughter's school, I can walk into the school from any of 5 sets of double doors which to my knowledge are unlocked all day long. If a student was in the hall for some reason, they could be targeted easily.

I've gone in there before and walked every foot of every hallway without so much as a word from anyone in the building. Teachers didn't even see me, and office personnel didn't say anything to me as I walked past them. Now they know me as Emma's mom, but in her kindergarten year I'm sure they didn't know me from Adam. At least not at first.

Granted, I'm a woman, so I probably don't fall under immediate suspicion, but still. NO ONE paid ANY attention to me. I could've done anything.

Yeah, the same situation can occur here also. One set of doors are open which are right near the office, but to my knowledge, everyone in the office is busy with their work to even notice a person who does not belong.

As for the daycare in the basement, with the pool and long and twisting hallways that are empty, a man went through the underground garage(that was open) and went into the change room area for the girls(after swimming) and in front of her whole class and teacher, touched her above her waist.

So again these perv's will always find someway to target children....

Same here -we are in Lubbock- my youngest doesn't attend Dupre- but the same thing could happen at her school- people are in and out all of the time without any kind of pass. Maybe this will make the schools wake up and start using the visitors passes from the office. They have gotten too lax by not paying attention and assuming that everyones coming in for a legit reason.

That is so scary. I hope the little girl's okay.

In my small town, K-2nd goes to one school. The buildings are not connected to any of the other buildings, other than a canopy to shild from rain, so each classrom's door is outside. Kindgergarten doors face the street, and although kindergarten does have their own restrooms in their rooms, the kids are often walking alone outside to different places. 2nd grade is in the middle, and they have to walk outside and around the corner to use the restroom or go anywhere. 1st grade is on the other side, also outdoors and unsupervised while using the restroom, going to the office, library, parent center, etc. It was a constant worry when mine went there. It's just a tragedy waiting to happen, IMO. There's just too much that can go wrong.

Grades 3-6 are in another school, which does house the doors inside a building (3rd-5th in one building, 6th grade in another), but there are 6 different enterances, all of which remain unlocked at all times. The kids in 3-6 still have to walk outside alone to go to the office or to the gym. I hate it. The playground at this school is large, but goes all the way to the street. Kids run toward the street to get a ball, frisbee, etc. and they could be hit by a car or kidnapped in the blink of an eye. There's no fence whatsoever, so I remind my kids daily no to go past the swings.

The people in this town are way too comfortable to be on alert. They assume since nothing bad has happened before, it never will, so they never keep their guard up. Heck, I tell my Jr. High girls to MAKE SURE nobody is hiding in the restrooms when the go in because you just never know.

Everyone at both schools knows me well since I have spent many, many, many hours volunteering and substituting over the years, but I see kids alone alllllllllllll the time and I don't like it. ANYONE can simply walk in, wait in the restroom for a poor baby and wham!!! The kid's whole world comes crashing down. Not to mention the fact that since they have never done a background check on any substitute teacher or volunteer. It makes me sick.

*sorry for rambling*

Thank goodness the contact was limited to touching. As bad as it is, it could have been much worse for the little girl. Is that a cut on the suspect's forehead? I wonder if someone accidently hit him.

Mabel--

If anyone DID hit him, I'm sure it was accidental. Suuuure, it was.

They need to throw away the key. Yes he is young and they will more than likey not. But Look at Duncan in the Groene case. The 1 strike law needs to apply to anyone that is attracted in any bad way to a child no matter what the age at the time of offense.
He manipulated is way into the school and took the first opportunity to hurt a child
It's all the same. They all start somewhere.

Hi Mabel, if it was limited to touching, why is it aggrivated sexual assult?

[font=arial,sans-serif] School raises security level after assault
Man accused in sexual attack of girl arraigned

BY JASON WOMACK
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]A man who Lubbock police said moved freely through Dupre Elementary School before sexually assaulting a student has sparked security changes at the Central Lubbock campus.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]School officials restricted access to Dupre and considered security cameras after the Sept. 27 attack.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]David L. Kennimer, 19, of Lubbock exposed himself to and then fondled the girl, under the guise of taking her picture, police said.[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Kennimer was arraigned Tuesday morning on a charge of aggravated sexual assault.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]He was being held at the Lubbock County Jail on Tuesday in lieu of a $50,000 bond, a jail spokesman said.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]A faculty member who discovered Kennimer with the girl minutes after he vanished from the gymnasium warned him not to take pictures.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]But juvenile detectives said their investigation thus far has shown that Kennimer was otherwise unchallenged on the day of the assault.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]"There was nobody saying he couldn't be there," Lubbock police Lt. Jerry Brewer said.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]School officials said Monday that Kennimer had slipped onto campus without permission.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Dupre Elementary sent letters dated Tuesday notifying parents that a former student had been permitted to photograph the school building - including the hallways, cafeteria, library and gym - for a class project. But he was told not to photograph students.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]"A young man was given specific instructions on what he could and could not do," said Ann Graves, Lubbock Independent School District deputy superintendant of elementary education. "He did not follow those instructions."[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]The letter also outlined immediate changes in security procedures.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]All doors to Dupre Elementary would be locked from 8:15 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. every day, the letter said.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Visitors to the school will be required to enter through the front door, check in with the office and obtain a visitor's pass.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Kennimer did not have a pass on the day of the reported assault and allegedly had photographed three other students while at the school.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]"I know he was on campus and believed to be on campus with permission," Marvin Williams, Kennimer's Lubbock attorney, said Tuesday.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Williams said his client denies all allegations of wrongdoing.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/100505/loc_100505052.shtml for the whole story
[/font]

Casshew said:
Hi Mabel, if it was limited to touching, why is it aggrivated sexual assult?
Hi Casshew,
What they are not printing in the story is what was said on the local news- the poor little girl has bruising from the fondling. This perv needs to be locked up for life- we have all read the stories of what happens after they give them a slap on the wrist and let them loose again.:furious:

jodieo said:
Hi Casshew,
What they are not printing in the story is what was said on the local news- the poor little girl has bruising from the fondling. This perv needs to be locked up for life- we have all read the stories of what happens after they give them a slap on the wrist and let them loose again.:furious:

Thank you for telling us about the bruising. I agree that he should be locked up for life, but he'll probably be back out soon.

On this same subject, I just read somewhere else the comment that there should be only s-offenders, not registered s-offenders. They should be jailed for life after the first offense, not registered and turned loose to continue down the same path. I like that sentiment. That poor child!

jodieo said:
Hi Casshew,
I agree at 19 to do this to a 6 year old. With that said lock him up for life
He could be a Duncan down the road. That takes a lot of nerve to go into a school and do that.

"We gave him the run of the school but we told him not to take pictures of the children." For pity sake..like he was going to do what he was told! You can aim a camera towards a wall and no one can tell exactly a person is actually taking a pic of. Kids could be sitting or standing all over along that wall.

I think the parents of this little girl should make a lot of noise through a great big civil suit. That will be the one thing that might make a big impression on this school and they will make sure that they have security in place for the long term. Other schools would be watching the outcome of a big civil suit.

I think it has come to the place where all doors but one in every school should be locked during school hours. A security officer should be placed at the unlocked door. A officer who checks ID's...verifys with school personnel that the visitor is coming in to see a teacher, dropping something off to their child, etc. We have a security officer at the door of our Social Security office but not at the schools! He checks your purse, etc, to make sure you aren't bringing any type of weapon in.

Security cameras aren't going to do any good unless someone is watching them all of the time. After the fact they might be able to identify a criminal but afterwards is to late.

jodieo said:
Same here -we are in Lubbock- my youngest doesn't attend Dupre- but the same thing could happen at her school- people are in and out all of the time without any kind of pass. Maybe this will make the schools wake up and start using the visitors passes from the office. They have gotten too lax by not paying attention and assuming that everyones coming in for a legit reason.

Thanks for the thread Jodieo. I had heard the story but wasn't ablet to get enough information on just where the assault took place. Thank God the little girl wasn't raped even though fondling is bad enough. I knew something had happened because at my grandkid's school, the Principal was out after school, right on the sidewalks and looking very serious and perturbed. We aren't at Dupre, but I imagine all Lubbock schools will tighten down. I remember back when the Columbine shooting took place, the school started locking all doors except the front one but I suppose that it eventually was dropped. Now, I have to try and get thru all the kids heads that they do not ever do what any adult says at school unless they already specifically know that adult and even then, if it seems strange, don't go with them. How scary things are getting in the world. No place, not even school, sometimes our home, church, or library is safe.

My dd goes to a small private school of about 350 students. The doors are locked from 8:15 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. every day, except for the main door which is at the office. Anyone walking in the main door must obtain a visitor's pass or they will be questioned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back