LA - Rose Born, 45, brutally murdered at Paradise Donut shop, Lake Charles, 8 July 1998 *arrest in 2016*

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
WHO MURDERED ROSE BORN?
Brad Goins Thursday, March 3, 2016

aavjTCG.jpg

WHO MURDERED ROSE BORN?
A Cold Case Being Investigated By The LCPD
Story By Brad Goins • Photos of Rose Courtesy of The Born Family

On July 8, 1998, Rose Born began her workday at the exact time the day began — midnight. Born made the donuts for the Paradise Donut shop at 529 W. 18th St., and just like the proverbial donut maker, she worked hard during long hours of darkness to get the donuts ready in time for the morning rush.
In her usual routine, by some point between 4 and 5 am, Born had made enough donuts to fill the shop’s display case. When the donuts were ready, she’d start letting in early customers, as well as delivery men or others who needed to transact business.

On that July morning in 1998, a customer showed up around 6 am only to discover the door of Paradise Donuts was still locked. When he looked inside, he saw Born lying on the floor behind the display case; from his vantage point, all that was visible was her head. He feared she might have been struck by a seizure or heart attack or some other debilitating medical event.

He walked to the fire station just a few dozen yards from the shop. Members of the fire department were concerned enough that they went to the shop, where one of them forced the back door open.

The fireman found Rose Born lying on her side in a pool of blood; much of her clothing was soaked in blood. There was a great deal of blood distributed around the shop. The fireman ascertained that Born had no pulse. The call came into the Lake Charles Police Dept. at 6:35 am.

Rose Born
Date: February 18, 2003
Reported by: Janelle MacDonald

[...]

Born was stabbed multiple times. Detective Greer says robbery was not the motive, although the murderer did steal her car. It was found across town with the keys still inside. "It could have been a customer, passerby, it could have been anybody," Greer says. "We have blood samples and hair samples that have been sent to the FBI and the state crime lab and we're awaiting the results on those which we believe may send us in a certain direction."

He believes that evidence may help the case move forward quickly once investigators develop a suspect, but to get to that point he needs your help. "Anything we could get from the public or somebody who may know something would be of tremendous help," Greer says.

Rose's sister, Rita Theriot says, "After all these years, you know how people love to talk and it's strange that nothing has been heard, no one has let anything slip."

"There's a violent killer out there that we would like to see brought to justice," Julia LeBlanc says.
Theriot says, "Of course our question is why."

"That's what I would like to know," says Mary Barnette. "Why would they do this? Was it for money or was it to make a point?"

LeBlanc says, "I can't imagine anybody who didn't like her."

Cold Case Investigation: Donut Shop Owner Rose Born
Monday, February 18th 2013, 9:05 pm CST - Wednesday, March 20th 2013, 8:05 pm CST

[...]

"While all homicides are incredibly violent, this one was probably one the most violent ones our investigators had seen in their careers at that time," said Deputy Chief Mark Kraus, Lake Charles Police.
Kraus said Born put up a good fight against her killer. While DNA evidence was found at the scene, Kraus said a suspect and motive have been hard to come by. According to investigators, cash was left in the register.

"We would love to say that we think we know what happened but it's just simply an unsolved murder because we don't know what happened. We don't know if it was a robbery gone bad and the suspect just felt he was in too deep and left. We just don't know," Kraus said.

Born's sisters are also searching for answers. In a 2003 interview, they told 7 News they were surprised no information had surfaced on the street.

"There's a violent killer out there that we would like to see brought to justice," said Julia Leblanc, Born's sister.

"And, of course, our question is why," said Rita Theriot, Born's sister.

"That's what I would like to know is why would they do this? Was it for money or was it just to make a point?," said Mary Barnette, Born's sister.

I only read about this last week from Goins' article in Lagniappe. No one I spoke to can barely remember it & I live one parish away. You'd think there'd be loads of forensic evidence. Not a word has come forth. Just a ton of gossip. Close to a fire station. Police making rounds all through the night in the neighborhood. Sounds like a very personal attack. No break in, no robbery, nothing.

I don't for one minute believe that no one in Lake Charles/Calcasieu Parish knows who killed Rose Born.

I also think it was a very personal attack on Rose. This is a case that should have been easily solved unless someone inside the investigation itself did not want it to be.

LE will usually check on people who work these hours before daylight, especially females working alone. I am very pro-LE, and ex-LE, but not all are in it for the right reasons, IMO. I am just now reading about Rose and the very first thing that hit my mind was it had to be someone with a vested interest not to be found out, knew how not to be suspected, OR who had an interest in covering up. I will bet you any amount of money that no prints were found in her vehicle.

There needs to be justice for Rose!

***I meant to quote your post, Tony!

JMO

http://www.newswest9.com/story/32115232/arrest-announced-in-1998-homicide-of-rose-born

An arrest has been made in the 1998 cold-case homicide of donut shop owner Rose Born...

DNA found under her fingernails was submitted for DNA analysis in September 2015. A match was returned to Dennis Jerome Bartie, 35. Bartie is charged with second-degree murder...

Bartie confessed to the crime and said he had gone to rob her, Dixon said. Upon questioning from detectives, Bartie admitted to killing Born because he needed a ride home, Dixon said.

He was only 17 at time of Born's death.

This monster is currently serving a 40 year sentence after an (eerily) similar attack on my mother in 2006. Her injuries were brutally horrific. Had she been alone she would NOT have survived - only by the grace of God were the paramedics able to revive her. We have always hoped that the trauma she had to endure, and the injuries sustained not only during her attack but the days, months, and years after could save another person. I never imagined learning this and unfortunately my mother never got the chance. She passed away in Dec 2015, a mere 3 months after they matched the DNA. I am so thankful that because of my mother they were able to have his DNA on record and that he is already in police custody so that this family can finally get some peace.

Last I had heard the trial was set to start October 4, 2021 - I can’t find any information. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back