Doe Network

What Happened to Phyllis Flynn? - Facebook Page

Charley Project

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
• Missing Since: May 7, 1988 from Detroit, Michigan
• Classification: Missing
• Date of Birth: May 7, 1965
• Age: 23 years old
• Height and Weight: 5'0 - 5'3, 115 pounds
• Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, hazel eyes. Flynn may have blonde streaks in her hair. She may wear eyeglasses. Her middle name may be spelled "Ann" and she may use the alias names Phyllis Abdal and/or Linda Anne Flynn.

Details of Disappearance
Flynn was last seen at Hotel Yorba in the 4000 block of Lafayette near west Grand Boulevard and the Interstate 75 expressway on the southwest side of Detroit, Michigan on May 7, 1988, her 23rd birthday. She was staying at the hotel with her boyfriend. On May 13, Flynn called her parents and asked them to come to the hotel and pick her up. When her father arrived, two men were at the hotel entrance and told them she was gone. She has never been from heard from again. Because Flynn had a habit of dropping out of sight, her family was initially unconcerned. Weeks passed before they could persuade the police to take a missing persons report.

Flynn grew up on Grant Street in Lincoln Park, Michigan. Her parents are now deceased but she has two siblings, both of whom now live in Arizona and hope for resolution in her case. Her case remains unsolved.

Downriver's missing persons cold cases go back decades

Cross began her time as an advocate more than 15 years ago when she found out that her high school friend, Phyllis Flynn, had gone missing years earlier. Cross, Flynn and Flynn’s sister, Pamela Habig, had all been in a bowling league together in the 1980s.

“I didn’t know she was missing,” Cross said. “But once I found out, I had to help find her.”

Cross said it took nearly a decade before she even managed to connect with Flynn’s family.

“It took a long time before we could get anything going,” Cross said. “She had gone missing in Detroit, so we couldn’t get the Lincoln Park police to open a case. Detroit officers wouldn’t call me back. I spent years trying to track down the officer who had taken the initial report.”

Flynn was last seen by her family on her 23rd birthday, May 7, 1988. That day, she went to visit her boyfriend at Yorba Hotel in southwest Detroit’s and was never seen again, according to authorities. Several days later, she called her father for a ride home from the hotel, but went missing before he arrived.
Lincoln Park woman at center of national missing persons awareness tour - October 2014

What happened to Phyllis Flynn? Family searches for clues 26 years after her disappearance - November 2014